Food Safe Varnish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  09:58:22  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, im getting some air drying clay, i will be making a cave but also a water bowl, can someone suggest a varnish that will work with air drying clay but one that will be food/reptile safe for the waterbowl.

Or suggest anything else i should use instead.

I dont own or have access to a kiln so glazing is out.

thanks

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  10:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little word of warning you might like to know. I'm an artist (apparently) and do a lot of craft work. I've used air drying clay before and it crumbles pretty easily. I just don't know, even with varnish, how it would cope with a snake sliding over it all the time is all. But I've never tryed it, so maybe I'm wrong.

As for varnishes, I can't help much there I'm afraid. Sorry. I can only sugest finding a kiddie safe one.

ETA: You can get oven drying clays. They seem to be more resiliant and stronger. They seem to last longer. I think you can also get varnishes for using with ovens too.

Just me and my zoo.

Edited by - BlueDragon on 04/08/2011 10:42:16
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  15:52:10  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TBH iv never heard of oven drying clay.

The clay was only cheap, so if its rubbish it wont be a big deal. I may try oven drying clay next

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  16:10:49  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Acrylic varnish is inert when dry so should be ok, i used it to seal the inside of my viv when i built it but although water resistant, it wont be water proof and will peel off if soaked. Air drying clay will be porous unless totally sealed, it may soak up the water and turn to wet clay again. Trial and error i guess. Normal clay becomes waterproof when fired to stoneware (1260 deg C) but even at earthenware firing temp (1045 deg C) it isnt totally waterproof and its the glaze that holds the water.

You can get polymer clay which cook in the oven at very low temps, i use them for jewellery making and they should hold water but you would need to read up on whether they are food safe. Should be data sheets available. Fimo is one make, sculpy i think is another.

As an example of how water tight something needs to be in your viv, this is a bowl i made for flo,

It had a tiny pin hole in the glaze and even though it didnt leak the under side was permanently wet so caused moulds to grow on the substrate beneath!.....its now a sweet dish!

Hope this has been some help! let us know how you get on?

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  00:29:15  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, i recieved the air drying clay in the post. Iv not worked with clay since i did my GCSEs so i thought id keep it basic.

It turned out really strong, all i need now is varnish

BTW - I painted it with coffee (about 5 spoons and little water), the tip came from shhh...rfuk....dont tell anyone! and i think the coffee gives a great effect.

*EDIT It matches the eXoterra water bowl. Sorry about the blurry pic

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi

Edited by - acd1984 on 14/08/2011 00:31:06
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  09:33:51  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey nice one! That looks good! It does look like the exoterra stuff!
Coffee works well, you can use tea as well!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  12:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really good - once in the viv it will look really natural, just like a flat rock; he'll be able to bask on it if he wants. Nice!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000