New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  15:47:15  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't weighed her in a while and although she hasn't had a poo for a couple of weeks, i thought i would put her on the scales. Her last weigh in was 910g.

Now she is a whopping.....

Wait for it.....!

1300g

I cant believe it! she is only just back on to regular eating too!

Been having a little chat with kelf about putting her on to small rats and now i know she will handle them ok. just recently i have had to give her 2 weaners at a time so life will get simpler now too!

So proud of my little (big) girl!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  15:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, wow thats some jump, they dont half know how to pile on the pounds. You'll have to get the camera out and put her on the snake walk.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  16:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a superb weight - congrats!

I really wouldn't worry about the small rats - Shahi's 900g empty and just scarfing them down - by the look of that girl's pics she'll cope fine - she is a magnificent snake!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  17:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She will be fine with them, Duke is just finishing off his last 90-120 gram rat (never sure of sizes think that is a small rat) and just about to start on his bigger Chiuahua sized 120-160 gram rats.

I'm a by eye kinda guy though, if its not too thick I'll feed it to Duke, I do weigh the rats though just to have an idea.

Be prepared to watch on in amazement and bafflement, its just looks so wrong when they are eating something so much bigger than their head, it would be like me going out and swallowing a sheep whole.

I also bought some day old chicks the other day figured I would give them as a treat as they are all coming up to or just had their 1st Birthday and I didn't realise how big chicks were lol.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  19:51:02  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha ha! just picturing you swallowing a whole sheep!!! Not a good picture actually!

Think im gonna be watching with an anguished expression as little flo tucks into a huge rat, the mother in me will be in panic mode! Ah, my little girl is growing up!

Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait till she brings home a boyfriend. You'll be weeping!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:27:10  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She already did...a 6 foot boa calld boris!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
!!

What would be the result of that liaison?

Some little Blorences, Florises, Boathons, Flobos ...???

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  19:33:38  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh!... I dread to think! Flobos sound so very wrong!!!

In all honesty, florence and boris have never met! I was strict with the quarantine when boris came home with us and have never really let up on the strictness. I figure they dont need to meet as they are solitary by nature. But...I am curious to know how they would react to each other?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  19:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!

Flo - 'Woman must have man, and snake must have her snake ...as time goes by ...'

Boris: 'Of all the vivs in all the world, and she has to squirm into mine ...'

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  20:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a small brown girl, living in a lonely world...

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  20:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AAAAaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Thanks for that, Bob!

I'm assuming it's 'Small Town Girl', which I hadn't heard of, and googled ...

It's just the kind of song you hear, sitting in the pub at 10.30, knowing you shouldn't have another beer because you're a trifle ratarsed, but knowing you will anyway, and then they play some damn song like that and you end up in deep gloom, watering your beer with tears ...

Not that I've visited a pub since the smoking ban. And now that damn song's going through my head ...

I need a beer.

And it's all your fault, Bob!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  20:54:12  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thankfully in my local that song is banned! sadly so are my snakes! the landlord is leaving tho so we figure we can change the rules....go flo go!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:02:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - play it again, Flo!

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  21:29:21  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been chatting with my local rep shop today, asked if i could put Flo straight on to small rats from weaners and he suggested i give her another 2 weeks of feeding 2 weaners at a time to stretch her stomach before giving the bigger prey. Sounds like good advise to me, so in 2 weeks she gets the big boy rat that i have just bought for her! Trouble is, it doesnt look much smaller than the medium rats that Boris eats and he is twice her size! Poor wee Flo, she will be stretched to the limit!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  22:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't 2 weaners be much more food and volume than 1 small rat. I've noticed too that Dukes small rats were very close to mediums but I suppose the weight bands do meet so one a few grams lighter could be in the smaller weight category yet not have much difference at all.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  23:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rodent suppliers - like snakes - are all different, but here is the weight table given by mine:-

small weaner 37g approx
medium 45g
large 55g
extra large 80g
small rat 106g

Shahi at 900g empty is on a small rat every ten days.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  23:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Wouldn't 2 weaners be much more food and volume than 1 small rat. I've noticed too that Dukes small rats were very close to mediums but I suppose the weight bands do meet so one a few grams lighter could be in the smaller weight category yet not have much difference at all.

Why not just feed a larger rat like a small etc.once eaten wouldn't the volume/side by side size be bigger then small.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  15:29:54  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weaner rat...55 grams, small rat...196 grams, medium rat... 230 grams. Thats whats in my freezer!

So 2 weaners are still alot smaller than a small rat. I think its too big for her so im going to see if i can find something a bit smaller.

Bats, are your small rats from that mail order company? my local shop only has 1 size option in small rats and they are flippin huge!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  15:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - A&N. Medium rats from them are 162g approx and large nearly twice as large - 290g - she won't be on those just yet!

Just goes to show how suppliers vary ...can't get my head round it!

Haven't you got a friend with a corn snake? If they would share an order with you and you both had freezer space, might be worth buying from A&N. Furred rodents will stay good for 6 months if you keep them securely bagged.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  18:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is weird how the small, medium large thing can very wildely by suppliers, That why I only ever go by eye when buying them, I make a scene gettting a feel for their girth comparing it to my wrist (Duke and my wrist are the same thickness). It is probably best if you dont feel confident its the right size to just feed something else, i'm sure Boris wont let any of the rats go to waste and you'll not have to worry about Flo.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000