Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, I have a four month old royal and he refuses to eat every time I try, He just totally ignores its there. He has not eaten on his own at all since I've had him, I have assisted him once or twice but I really hate doing it, hes looking pretty skinny and has a lot of loose skin. He's 50g in weight is that bad? I'm wondering if I'm giving him a meal that's too small, hes on defrosted fuzzy's. I was thinking of trying him on live but I don't know where to get them or can you even do that with fuzzy's? He's in a quite large glass viv but I have gave him 2 hides, artificial leaves and even scrunched up newspaper in there, he seems fine, the hot side is around 90 under the lamp. He never really goes into his hides and sleeps in the open where he is not hidden is this a problem too? thanks :)

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  21:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
He just totally ignores its there. He has not eaten on his own at all since I've had him,
Four months old,How long have you had him?

quote:
I'm wondering if I'm giving him a meal that's too small
Do you feed him in his viv?or outside his viv?

quote:
He's in a quite large glass viv
Sizes would help alot.
quote:

the hot side is around 90 under the lamp
whats the temp on the cool side?And how are you measuring this?

quote:
He never really goes into his hides and sleeps in the open
to me that seems very odd,if he has two hides etc.Might be a problem somewhere.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  22:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive had him just over a month now, I feed him inside his viv, the viv is 2 1/2 ft by 2 ft, i only have a thermometer at the hot side at the moment as I haven't had the money to get another one.
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  22:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AEAlovesJJB

ive had him just over a month now, I feed him inside his viv, the viv is 2 1/2 ft by 2 ft, i only have a thermometer at the hot side at the moment as I haven't had the money to get another one.

So had him awhile now,if he was going to settle in,he would have by now.

quote:
the viv is 2 1/2 ft by 2 ft
2 1/2 ft by 2ft is alittle large for him,he must be tiny.Id change the viv for a rub if i was you..

quote:
i only have a thermometer
What kind of thermometer is it,digital or analog?

And what kinda bulb are you using?and wattage?I have alot of glass cages,sounds to me like the whole viv is over heating.and the snake is lying in the open cuz of that...or one side is to hot/while the other to cool.

Do you have a picture of your setup?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 06/08/2011 22:26:50
Go to Top of Page

AEAlovesJJB
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a analog thermometer, im using a basking bulb in the day time that is 100watt i turn it off at night and on when i get up, i thought that too but the light has been off for a while now and my royal is asleep in the open there's no light on and the temp is just under 80f. No i dont have a pic but i could take one tomorrow and put it up tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm afraid 99.99% of problems occur when the husbandry (care) isn't right. Don't take it personally but there are a few things you need to address.

Firstly Royals are shy jumpy stressy little snakes, that like either a small dark place to live or a big place VERY well packed out. Open space makes them nervous and a nervous snake doesn't eat.

Dial thermometers are useless, so its is very possible your temps are all wrong again a hot or cold snake stresses and doesn't eat.

I have heard no mentions of a thermostat, again no thermostat no temperature regulation, stressing snake, no eating.

What type of light is is, if it emits white light its no good for a Royal, even red bulbs emit white light too, you would need either an infra red bulb or a ceramic heat bulb.

Switching all heat sources off overnight is likely to lead to wild swings in temperature, snakes need a more stable heat to digest, if its not there they wont risk eating and not been able to digest it, slight drops in temperature overnight are inevitable but need to be managed to keep them within the right temperature gradient.

Location is also important if its in a part of your house with lots of comings and goings its going to be more susceptible to stressing, nice and quiet is the key.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AEAlovesJJB

Its a analog thermometer, im using a basking bulb in the day time that is 100watt i turn it off at night and on when i get up, i thought that too but the light has been off for a while now and my royal is asleep in the open there's no light on and the temp is just under 80f. No i dont have a pic but i could take one tomorrow and put it up tomorrow.

That will drop to around 16oc to 20 oc at night,which is around 55f to 65f at night.It needs heat at night to,or higher temps at night.

Well at any rate it all needs changing.OKay it all depends on how you want to do it.

quote:
Its a analog thermometer
Change that for a digital one,analog are crap.And get two,one for the hot side,and one for the cold side.

quote:
im using a basking bulb in the day time that is 100watt i turn it off at night
Get rid of that,is the bulb in a dome holder?either put a red bulb in it,or just get rid of it and replace with a heat mat on a stat,and put under the glass.red bulbs are cheaper ofc.and you have to leave it on all the time with a stat controlling the temps.

You need the temps on the hot side at 30/33c.cold side 24c plus.

you really need to change your setup.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What type of light is is, if it emits white light its no good for a Royal, even red bulbs emit white light too, you would need either an infra red bulb or a ceramic heat bulb.
Its a white light basking bulb,hence why she turns it of at night.

To change your setup its going to cost you some money.And to change that 2 ft tank to make it right is going to cost...Now if atm you have no money for a thermometer.Its not likely you can change this setup to how it needs to be.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 07/08/2011 00:27:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, AE, you've come to the right place and yes, as everyone has said - it's important to get the husbandry right - it may sound daunting at first but hang on in there and you'll get there.

For a really comprehensive thread on setting up for royals - go to page 16 on general posts - Stevethornley's thread on 'royal python for my eight year old's birthday.'

All the very best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do agree with Boomslang, an overhaul is required as what you have at the moment isn't working. This does come at a cost and I'm thinking with the required equipment that it will be at considerable cost, i wouldn't woory about the viv size just yet, sort out the environment insiode and see if it helps first, i'm sure it will. You need a stat (£30-£40), 2 thermometers (£10-£20), an Infra red bulb (£10), a bulb guard (£10-£20) and a LOT of artificial foliage to create privacy so you'd be looking at around £100 of changes.

Was the setup sold to you as a starter package?

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  23:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

I do agree with Boomslang, an overhaul is required as what you have at the moment isn't working. This does come at a cost and I'm thinking with the required equipment that it will be at considerable cost, i wouldn't woory about the viv size just yet, sort out the environment insiode and see if it helps first, i'm sure it will. You need a stat (£30-£40), 2 thermometers (£10-£20), an Infra red bulb (£10), a bulb guard (£10-£20) and a LOT of artificial foliage to create privacy so you'd be looking at around £100 of changes.

Was the setup sold to you as a starter package?

Read up abit on her post Lotabob,states no money for a thermometer,so stats,new bulbs,plants,guards etc is not going to happen And that bulb needs changing asap.Theres no cheap/walk around using that heat source.

We will have to wait for AEAlovesJJB to post.so we no when funds will be available.And in what kind of time period.To me,leaving the snake in there for ages wont be good.

So if funds to buy the necessary gear is not forthcoming,A cheaper rub/heat mat and stat setup or something will need to be provided

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 07/08/2011 00:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

Read up abit on his post Lotabob,states no money for a thermometer

I am aware of what was said, I am just trying to give AEAlovesJJB as much information as possible so they are aware that setting up a snake is not a cheap process and unfortunately starter setups are nearly always inadequate and that in order to be able to keep their snake in the correct manner they will need to make this initial investment. With the equipment needed its not a simple case of buy when you can though, it is all essential kit and is needed ASAP or the snakes health will suffer and at 4 months old and still at hatch weight the health of the snake is on the line in this case.

Edited by - Lotabob on 07/08/2011 00:27:22
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar baptism of fire, tried using a 30" (2.5 ft) glass fish tank. Nothing went well, and within 2 days of ownership and one refused feed I decided I needed a vivarium (longer term).

In the meantime I used these helpful people at TRPF to get a makeshift solution. I did pretty much what Boomer suggested and used a RUB (Really Useful Box) which is a locking lid plastic storage box.

Go to your parents and borrow about £50. Tell them I sent you.

Go to Tesco Extra and buy a 9Lt RUB £12 for the extra strong one at my local one)

Also available in a multipack from Maplin for £12.99 (use the smaller ones for transporting, holding while you clean, and for sandwiches).

Drill some 10mm holes along both ends and in the lid (see pictures of other people's RUB's on this forum for placement)

Get a heatmat of around 12-30 watts output, lower 12/15/20 watts would be best for a 9lt RUB.

GET A THERMOSTAT! 'Mat Stat' is the cheapest (£15-20) Microclimate or Habistat are reputable brands.

Get a digital thermostat with a remote probe. Put the unit next to the cold end of the RUB and the sensor between the heatmat (underneath the RUB) and the RUB (on top of the mat) ON THE HOT SIDE!.

Put the temperature probe from the 'stat' in the same place.

Ignore the dial on the 'stat', adjust till the temps are 32-35 hot end (heat mat under 40-50% of RUB, and no more)

Then add water bowl (small pate dish or ramekin, heavy so it won't tip over).

Hide in the warm end, hide in the cool end. (Empty (washed) margarine tub with snake sized hole in the side, small cardboard box like you get 20 posh teabags in (about a quid and free drinks!)

That should help, then look into things like humidity, and read up on feeding technique, also don't handle him until he's eating. Not other than essential 'moving'.

Save up, rob a bank, whatever, and but a Vivarium. (try ebay) or buy a new one for £40 like mine here....

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6499

Edited by - SaltyTurtle on 07/08/2011 00:34:24
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on where you live, I can lend you a 9 litre RUB which is pre-drilled if you're desperate. Maybe some other gear. I'm not a charity, but I'm prepared to help since I'm able to.

Let me know.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
With the equipment needed its not a simple case of buy when you can though, it is all essential kit and is needed ASAP or the snakes health will suffer and at 4 months old and still at hatch weight the health of the snake is on the line in this case.
Thats kinda what i meant that without buying said items asap,her snakes health in that cage will go down hill.

if she can't buy asap,something else will need to be done.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
With the equipment needed its not a simple case of buy when you can though, it is all essential kit and is needed ASAP or the snakes health will suffer and at 4 months old and still at hatch weight the health of the snake is on the line in this case.
Thats kinda what i meant that without buying said items asap,her snakes health in that cage will go down hill.

We're not talking mega bucks here, to put things in proportion I'd rather give stuff away than see the poor snake suffer. With the nationwide network of people on this forum, we can help, I'm sure.

Maybe someone can take charge of the snake for a while until he's feeding, who's got all the equipment, and more experience?

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyTurtle

Depending on where you live, I can lend you a 9 litre RUB which is pre-drilled if you're desperate. Maybe some other gear. I'm not a charity, but I'm prepared to help since I'm able to.

Let me know.

I'm sure if you are near one of us.we would all help if needed.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

We're not talking mega bucks here, to put things in proportion I'd rather give stuff away than see the poor snake suffer. With the nationwide network of people on this forum, we can help, I'm sure.

Maybe someone can take charge of the snake for a while until he's feeding, who's got all the equipment, and more experience?

funny you should say that,I have an empty viv that is setup for a royal.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Days!

That's the solution, short term, if the transport's do-able.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  00:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Happy Days!

Pickup or if she was local,I don't think transport is a good idea in this case.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  02:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Happy Days!

Pickup or if she was local,I don't think transport is a good idea in this case.

I'd read somewhere else on this forum in a feeding guide that chucking the snake in a tub and taking it for a 20 minute joy ride stirs up the flora in the gut, and makes it want to eat.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000