Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Merlin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  20:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all

I'm new to the forum, I bought my normal male royal 3 months old about 2 weeks ago. This forum has been really helpful and as a result of reading many, many posts I have made some changes to my setup - purchased a habistat mat stat, exo terra temp and hydrometer and more hides etc in his RUB, so thank you to all the very knowledgeable people on here.

The only problem I have had is that I fed Merlin a mouse about a week after having got him, giving him time to settle. He then regurgitated it nearly 3 days later and it was pretty much whole, hardly digested. This was before the mat stat so after reading about how you MUST have a stat I went and got one straight away. A temp gauge showed it was nearly 37C in the hot end, so I am thinking this may have been the problem? The readings now are good, 31C hot end, about 23/4C cold end, humidity is quite low at about 35%, assuming this wouldn't effect digestion though?

My main question is how long before I should attempt to feed him again - it has been nearly a week so far. I was also thinking of giving him a small rat fuzzy instead (as agin habing had a good read I understand these are more nutritious - yum).

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  20:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry to hear. There's a good sticky on this section about common health problems which includes advice on regurging. It's just a matter of delaying the next meal slightly and building back up to normal feeding, in order to let the snake's stomach get back to normal.

Oh, and yes, you're absolutely right about rats! It will pay off when he's a big bruiser who needs a rat rather than equivalent of several mice!

All the very best!

Edited by - n/a on 13/08/2011 20:34:25
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  20:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a read of the sticky, so I'll leave it another few days before I try him with a fuzzy. It was all going so well, I was really pleased when he ate the first mouse I gave him, then he had to go and chuck it back up again - and god did it smell bad!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  20:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck - keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  21:34:54  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When our old corn snake regurged we was told to leave it for like 7-10 days so that it could build up it's stuff again to digest the rodent

I hope hes ok and don't do it again ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  11:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, Merlin had a small rat fuzzy last night. I'm not going to disturb him over the next 5 days, will just change his water every other day, fingers crossed he keeps it down this time.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  11:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merlin

Yay, Merlin had a small rat fuzzy last night. I'm not going to disturb him over the next 5 days, will just change his water every other day, fingers crossed he keeps it down this time.

Oh, good lad, congrats! Here's hoping he'll digest this one as normal, fingers crossed and all the best, let us know how he goes on.

Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  10:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Settling in seems to be over, he had a mouse at the weekend. Defrosted both a mouse and rat fuzzy together but he wasn't interested at all in the rat. Offered him the mouse and he struck at it straight away. Weighed him before I fed him and he was 68g, which sounds pretty low for a 3 -4 month old? Now he seems to be eating I'm hoping he puts on a bit of weight. I checked out the weight chart on here and he seems to be at the low end at 68g.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  20:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that's good that he's not regurging ...don't worry about the low weight; I have a tiny tiny 09 girl who's now eating like a little pig; some start slowly and catch up, although as Lotabob (who's got the biggest royal for his age on the forum!) says, 'it's not a race.'

Really good that he's keeping his grub down and settling in - congrats!

Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  10:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes as long as he is healthy I'm not too worried whether he is big or small. Good things come in small packages.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000