Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 Royal Python - General Keeping information
 Does a royal recognise it's owners smell or...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  17:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got thinking today. After reading some articles that suggest that a snake (in this case a royal) will move from someone else's hands to your hands as he's used to your smell and feels more secure there I had a question.

Do they recognise your individual odour or the smell of the hand gel that you're using?

0.0.3 Koi Carp

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  17:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they do - a snake's sense of smell is one of its chief senses after all, like eyesight for us.

Go to Top of Page

STICKS
Yearling

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  18:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Frambo well this is what i do when i am gettng a new snake i sleep with a bit cloth hanky/i use a bandana six weeks and then place it in the viv/rub and some say they will pick up your set and then they now you are more friend than fou/Same as the hand gell i use the same one F10 £10.99 you can get it cheaper on line.It's got to the stage were i have bandana in bed on a rotation that way when you do a full clean it go's in the wash and you replace it with the fresh one, sound a bit mad i know hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good way to look at it when you cook a curry you smell curry, your snake smells every single ingredient in that curry. Their smell is so acute that even with alcohol gel they'll still easily pick your scent up unless you alcohol wash your entire body and also dont sweat, breathe or pass gas because those are all smells the snake will pick up oh and dont forget your clothes too, all these scents all add up to the familiar scent of you.

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  00:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense... I guess the same way as a load of people all dressed in the same uniform can still be individually recognised. Can't wait now... looking to get my royal this weekend; pretty sure I want a female.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Lancelot
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Facial recognition through the viv definitely. Mine only slides up and down the glass edges to myself knowing i'm prime handler and i'd get her out for a play. Other people she just pops her head out of her hide and watches unless asleep.
She does seem wary also when i've alcohol rubbed my hands. I think they just use a combination of what ever they can pick up.
I do wander how far they can see.

Edited by - Lancelot on 19/08/2011 14:24:51
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  11:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tig has a funny habit with me. When I get him out for his treatments he'll first sniff my hands. But this will be very breif and only very short tough flicks. He'll then move onto my face where he can spend a good few seconds giving nice long tough flicks over my cheaks, eyes and in particular, my nose. Since the human nose is supposed to be the least smelliest part of your body, I've never really understood this. But it seems that he gets to know me that way and after his little get-to-know he totaly relaxes with me. It's almost like when dogs perform thier get-to-know after a hunt or whatever to re-srengthen bonds in the pack. Maybe it's a similar thing?
He also does watch me through the glass in his viv. I can always see his eyes following me!

When he needed to go to the vets and my mam was taking him (I have M.E. and need to sleep in the afternoon and that's when his appointment was) I explained this routeen to my mam so she would know what to expext. She told me that he was a bit nervy to begin with but after letting him give her a good sniff over she said she could feel him relax with her. It was really nice to hear... especialy since it was my mam who gave him his injections when he needed them (I held him still). He didnt like her then! He could obviously remember her and knew what was coming. So, he obviously has a long term memory, as I'm sure all snakes do. But it was so nice to hear that he'd forgiven her and was relaxed with her again.

Bless him, he's such a mummy's boy : 3

I have no doubt that they do reconize you, not only through sight, but also through smell. And that they can remember people and events for a long time.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  12:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha I just love reading about all the individual habits each owner has with their snake- some like this, don't like that, do this, don't do that, hate this, love that... really makes them individuals.

Could be getting my royal today- spoke to the shop- they have one Female that is ready to go and if I decide I prefer one of the other snakes I can put a deposit on it and then pick it up when they're strike feeding and read to rock. Can't wait.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  22:11:23  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Florence is the snake i will allow to meet anyone who comes to visit, Boris the boa is a bit more choosy but Florence always seems happy to go to anyone who wants a cuddle! However, she always comes searching me out when she has had enough, as if she knows where home and security is. Boris always seems to come back towards me if i give him to someone else to handle but that could be him picking up on the cautious vibes of my friends!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  23:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense- I had mine out with a couple of friends today, they were touching her while she was on the bed more than holding her but she kept coming towards me- and she's only been with me less than a week but then again I put some of my clothes in her faunarium so she probably feels comfortable with my smell.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  14:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine seem to generally be happy to go to anyone. I cant say I have noticed that they will bother to approach me if they are being handled by someone else.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  16:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know its not royals, but my o.h.'s carpet python seems to hate blokes. soft as you like with her, strikes at me and the shop keeper we got him from. where as both my girls (a royal and a corn) dont seem to like the wife! do you reckon snakes can smell the difference between male and female?

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  16:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - try using each other's toiletries and aftershave and perfume as an experiment, and see what the snakes say ...

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  07:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, have to give that a go! mihgt raise a few eyebrows at work if i came in smelling like a girl tho! not really the done thing in my line of employment! :)

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000