Odd Mouse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  12:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bit of an anomaly when feeding my big fire female, Savina. On advice from BE I tried her with a mouse before the rat but as usual she didn't seem interested and seemed far more concerned with climbing up the walls of the viv and clinging onto the light cage. So I left both of them inside the viv that night for her to take her pick.

I woke up and in a rush I had to leave for work so when I came back they had been left inside for approximately 19 hours in total. I removed what the others hadn't eaten (if I recall right 2 small rats) they seemed normal like rats often tend to seem after 19 hours under a heat lamp, bit funky but regular floppy rats.

Savina had eaten her rat but left the mouse, when I took the mouse out I noticed it was rock hard and really bloated as if the stomach had grown, it was at least 3 times bigger than the mouse I was offering her and as I said it was rock hard, covered in blood and strangely still wet (though I think that might have been from the blood) not sure if Savina had been attacking it or not but it was very strange I've never seen a mouse like that before, you could hardly see the neck on it where the body had swollen so much (realize now I should have taken a picture)

Any ideas what the cause was?

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  13:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
decomposition? Dead things inflate as gases are released from the gut and blood etc.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  13:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Urrgh, lovely, first thing on a morning! The bloat is clearly gas - had you stuck a knife in the poor thing would have probably gone bang like a balloon. A rodent can bloat overnight.

However it's the wetness that worries me a little. I don't want to alarm you, but I wonder if it's a regurge and that's why it's wet? Someone on TCS had this - the snake regurged a gigantically bloated mouse - could be the dramatic bloat was accelerated by bacteria in the snake's gut. The blood was possibly from its nose, you know how they can go. Was there a bad smell?

Hope all is well with Savina - I'm sure she'll be fine, probably just one of those cases of 'better out than in.' All the best.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  13:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Bob - we overlapped again!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  14:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah there was a bad smell but I think that was the smell of like 4 dead rats left under heat mats overnight, nothing new smells like that in my room every morning after feeding time lol. She ate one rat so if it was regurge I'm guessing she'd have to have eaten it, regurged it, then eating the rat after.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  15:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or eaten the rat first for a change? You know how they like to spring surprises on us ...

Just as an afterthought, was that mouse one of the shop batch that you had to buy because A&N were out of stock? Maybe Savina's stomach told her it wasn't up to standard ...? I'm sure she'll be fine though.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  16:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah it was one of the shop ones :(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  16:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered ...I know it's picky of me, since I'm spoilt by A&N quality, but I don't always trust shop rodents now (although I know there are plenty of EXCELLENT shops out there lol!) That is one good thing about A&N, they are so snowed under with demand that all their stuff's got to be fresh.

On the other hand I've heard before of snakes turning their noses up at perfectly good rodents, just because they didn't come from the same supplier. Looks like she enjoyed the rat though!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000