New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  21:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasted an hour of my life today, an hour I will never get back.

I went to get the MDF cut today got to the saw desk thing and the little fella said he would be with me in a minute 20 minutes later another fella turned up, I showed him my plans and cut diagrams, he scratched his head for a few minutes and then proceeded to explain that I tell him the size to cut and he will cut it BUT (and this is the funny bit) they dont do precision cutting and he couldn't guarantee the cuts would be precise. By this time a red mist was decending so I asked him was it the use of the saw that was stumping him or was it his inability to read a diagram, he said he was trained to use the saw but he was a plumber not a carpenter. I decided that if I stayed any longer I was likely to strap him to the wall and run the saw upward in a James Bond style so I went to discuss delivery with a 15 year old on customer services who insisted I explain my query while he simultaniously had a conversation on a phone, I lost all hope at this point and tried to leave only to set an alarm off going through a door and been told off by Mr Mannering the security guard.

I'll go back on Thursday when the guy who helped me draw the piggin plans is there.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  01:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a comfort to know that I'm not the only one this sort of thing happens to ...

I hope you get on better next time...I admire your patience!!

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  09:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the joys of b&q

they tried to tell me that their saw only cut in inches when i wanted it cut in mm. i pointed to the saw and said those other measurements are cm and each little line is mm. so if the saw wasn't designed to cut mm they wouldn't be on there.i just got a blank look so i suggested i come round and show him how it works, but i got another blank look and was told i wasn't allowed so i had to convert it to inches for him.

you could always get in contact with a joinery company and get a price for the mdf. it would be more expensive but it would be accurate cuts

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  11:54:24  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackskull

the joys of b&q

they tried to tell me that their saw only cut in inches when i wanted it cut in mm. i pointed to the saw and said those other measurements are cm and each little line is mm. so if the saw wasn't designed to cut mm they wouldn't be on there.i just got a blank look so i suggested i come round and show him how it works, but i got another blank look and was told i wasn't allowed so i had to convert it to inches for him.

you could always get in contact with a joinery company and get a price for the mdf. it would be more expensive but it would be accurate cuts

that would be my advice - stick with the experts not a bunch of teenagers working part time lol..we used to get mdf cut at a place called Howarth Timber, i think they're a chain so there might be one near you, if not just try and find a place like that, most em them do cutting for free if you buy the wood, dont know what they'd charge if you bring your own

i certainly know the feeling... whenever you go in any shop these days you're made to feel like there's no point asking and yet they somehow make you feel like a muppet yourself! lol.. i went tesco the other day and asked if they sold cake tins and where they would be... of course the person you ask doesn't know simply because they don't work in that section... i know where things are in that place better than the staff and soon found them myself!!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

jhk2005
Yearling

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  12:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem at homebase ; I asked for an 8ft piece to be cut into 2 x 47" lengths (for my rack) and the silly sods cut it into 40" pieces, THEN tried to convince me that they were the right measurements!??!

NOT a happy bunny! cue lots of arguing and my "cut it to the right size or i'm outta here" speech and I eventually got the right size pieces!! thank god they cut it BEFORE i paid for it...

1.6.0 Normal Royals - Will, Grace, Lolly, Patty, Maddie, Mystique, Victoria
1.1.0 Pastel Royals - Becks, Sophie
0.1.0 Spider Royal - Charlotte
0.1.0 Mojave Royal - Mo
1.1.0 Yellowbelly Royals - Pinky, Perky
1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal - Pip
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal - Buzz
1.0.0 Vanilla Royal - Vinnie
1.0.0 Lesser Royal - Leo
1.0.0 Cinnamon Royal - Sam
1.0.0 Burmese Python - Kane
0.1.0 Albino Burmese Python - Amber
1.0.0 Redfoot Tortoise - Chucky
Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  14:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it wouldn't take a joiner long to cut what you needed. would have thought you would be looking at an hours labour, it wouldn't take an hour to cut it though.

i think my place charge around £30 an hour for labour

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  15:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe that would be a better idea then because I would have to pay £20 for delivery with B&Q maybe a plan B needed to be thought about.

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  15:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
although we don't, a lot of joinery companys keep mdf in stock. but if your in no rush for it the boards would be ordered in then cut for you.

i don't know how much b&q charge for mdf but there is a chance it might be a bit cheaper from a joinery company, but they will charge more than they paid for it from a supplier

0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  15:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - Mystra's right! I used to have a wonderful timberyard just round the corner and they KNEW about wood and they were incredibly helpful ...there must be somewhere like that near you, Bob, maybe tucked away in a back street.

LOL - you have to laugh though. I went to a certain DIY chain nearby and couldn't find the potting compost, so asked the young guy on the cashdesk, who said they didn't stock it ...going through the exit foyer, I discovered stacks of the stuff and reappeared in triumph with a bale of it ...same guy at the desk, sweet kid with bleached streaks in his hair and nice smile, very apologetic; I was in chatty mode (rare) and joked about him having a blonde moment. He blushed ...aww bless. I DID reassure him that (despite far from being a blonde) life was usually the same for me...

But as for that B&Q ...well ...I must say I HAVE encountered helpful staff in my branch, but when they're bad, oh, they're abysmal ...

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here I don't know why I keep going back lol, the one thing you've got to remember though care in the community is a great thing it's just a shame that most of the less mentally abled people all seem to work there....

Edit oh and if you finally find someone who can not only read your plans but use the saw aswell, you need to allow for an extra 3mm per cut (for the blade width)

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No no, Reptilemadd, we need to be mad to suss out the wacky world of snakes ...it's a case of tuning into other wavelengths ....ssssshhhhhssssnakessssss.... we may be nuts but we're not stupid ..

It's the ones who aren't on Planet Snake, the 'normals', who are light years behind us lol!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000