New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just purchased a Royal Python about 2 weeks ago and there are somethings i would like some help with.
I bought him on a monday and he didnt get fed since the monday before so the up coming monday mond 29th will be the 3rd week he has not yet eat and hes only 4months old and im very worried also i the heat under the hide is at 39c which i have told is bad i have added more bedding to prevent the heat coming all the way through.

All help is appreciated.
I have tried 2 pinkies and 1 med mouse and he hasn't touch either of them.

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also he is only in one of them starter vivs
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  00:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO you cant just regulate heat with more substrate, you need a thermostat, that way you turn a dial and the temperature goes down, Its not eating most likely because it is unable to regulate its temperature. Secondly a starter viv is more than likely too big for such a small snake.

39 degrees is FAR too hot you shouldn't be exceeding 35oC at the most.

Edited by - Lotabob on 27/08/2011 00:20:06
Go to Top of Page

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  01:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No the starter viv isnt big at all, and the heat mat is quite far away from underneath the viv so that makes the heat take longer to hit the viv, the heat is now going to 36 which is getting better aslong as it doesnt exceed 38 then there no apparent problem the shop said.
I have tried feeding him in and out of the viv but no use either way.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  02:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might find this link a help - there is a lot of info on it. Good luck with the feeding.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5183

Edited by - n/a on 27/08/2011 02:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  13:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll soon learn that 'what the shop said' is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard for all but a few shops out there.

What size is your starter viv, and is it actually a vivarium or is it a faunarium?

How and where are you taking these temperature readings, and where is the heat mat, is it inside or outside the snakes enclosure.

A comfortable hot spot temperature for most Royal Pythons is to aim for 32oC, I wouldn't want it exceeding 35oC. Becuase these guys have no way of internally regulating their temperature even a degree or 2 over their max can cause them irreversible neurological damage, 35oC is still within their safe window and its also in their preferred range too, its about finding that balance with them, you may find that your snake will prefer anything from 30 to 35 degrees but as you get used to your snake you'll see from its behaviour whether its too hot or cold. The most important thing is getting a thermostat, you spend a load of money on a snake and equipment etc an extra £25 of a good thermostat is so important, it gives you that reassurance that your temperatures wont get too high, rather than relying on hopes and dreams.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2011 :  18:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - just recently I've seen a result of 'what the shop said' and I don't want to be alarmist, but it wasn't good ...

Feel very lucky that I discovered this forum, otherwise that could have been my snake ... the info on here is sound, it does work, and we're friendly - honest!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000