Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  22:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heater will suck the humidity out of the air,around the moss/water bowl,plus if you sprayed the aspen,it wouldn't be 38%.

point is around the water/moss its higher,then a foot in the air.So that should be ok,with abit a spraying when in blue.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  22:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah. There is a lot of debate about this, plus hygrometers.

I'm a humidity coward. I don't use hygrometers. I've heard these gismos can be massively inaccurate
Not if you buy good ones :P Hygrometers used in wine/whisky storage,cigar hygrometers,Not exo terra ones :P

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  23:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. I'm a coward.

They're all shedding ok, honest!

Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  12:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Jay j, First of all a 3ft royal should not have shed twice within 3 weeks. check them over. frequent sheds can be a sign of stress or skin damage. Are the sheds complete? if yes then your humidity is fine. don't complicate things for yourself mate. Here's what rub you need for a 3ft royal http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b33_0litre.php
Not really any need for all that height on the 84l but up to you. remember they live in burrows.
place heat mat under half of it until inside temp under hot hide is 90F. Your right the humidity should be 50 - 60% and it is important in my opinion. After all we are trying to replicate
their living conditions. The reason for the lower humidity is the ceramic bulb, just place an extra or larger water bowl in. As mentioned when
he goes blue you can place a damp flannel in under part of hide this will increase humidity at the time that he needs it. don't swop them back and forth. Hope that helps and apologies if i have understood anything wrong.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  23:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Royalbob, that's a real help and I appreciate that!!

When I got my Royals on the 7th August they had no Thermometer or Hygrometer in the Viv so I had no way to gauge the humidity, I immediately ordered 2x Thermometers and a Hygrometer. I knew Khaleesi was in the early stages of shed but tbh she kinda took me by surprise on her shed, she only had very mild bluing and I didn't expect her to shed as quickly as she did.
This first shed in my care was a very messy shed, the shed broke into pieces (not sure if there is a technical term for this). Shortly after this the Thermometers and Hygrometer arrived and I upped the humidity, this made a huge difference as Khal's shed (8 days ago) and Khaleesi's recent shed (3 days ago) were almost perfect. Khal's wasn't one continues shed but still only split into three pieces and Khaleesi's shed was one continues shed rolled back and inside out. Do you think the messy shed is why Khaleesi has shed again so soon??
That's also what worries me about the humidity being so low atm, I put some soaked Sphagnum Moss in the Viv earlier today and the humidity went up to 56% but 5-6 hrs later it's dropped to 38%??
Any suggestions??
Do you think my water bowl is too small??

RUB is already on it's way, I have a matt, 2x hide but just need a Thermostat, waterbowl and some folage.

Thanks Bob, really appreciate the help and advice!!!!!

1.1.0 Royal Python (Normal)
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier
2.1.0 Domestic Short Haired Cat
0.0.1 Horsefeild Tortoise

Edited by - JayJ on 01/09/2011 23:20:51
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  02:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's also what worries me about the humidity being so low atm, I put some soaked Sphagnum Moss in the Viv earlier today and the humidity went up to 56% but 5-6 hrs later it's dropped to 38%??
Any suggestions??
Do you think my water bowl is too small??

Looks fine to me,bats and alot of people don't use humidity readers.Try not to over think it to much,And just spray/damp hide when their in blue.

bats is also right,in that most are massively inaccurate,why don't you place the probe on the cool side of the viv,nearer to the viv floor?,Might get a better reading then.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  13:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I slightly rearranged the Viv today, moved the Hygrometer lower so we'll see how it goes. Thanks Boomslang!

1.1.0 Royal Python (Normal)
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier
2.1.0 Domestic Short Haired Cat
0.0.1 Horsefeild Tortoise
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  19:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JayJ

I slightly rearranged the Viv today, moved the Hygrometer lower so we'll see how it goes. Thanks Boomslang!

Np m8,I do have Hygrometers in all my snakes vivs,They do hold at 50% to 60% etc etc.But i hardly look at them.

Your snakes all shed good right?So i wouldn't worry to much about it.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  19:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mate what generaly happens in regard to humidity is we all in out and buy all the kit and wait for their first shed in our care. Once this shed goes ok we know the set up is good and there is no need to alter anything or take measurement everyday as we would with the temp. It's when tidy dont we start looking at what we've done wrong. Also normal house humidity should be between 40 and 50% so there is generaly no need to worry. Ceramic bulb's do dry out the air in a viv more though. Once you have a large water bowl something like the big ceramic dog bowls is great as your royal is large enough. Then as said just add moss or I prefer hogies method of a fans flannel when tidy in blue you'll be fine. After tidy shed the two main areas to check are the eye cap's and the vent. Either on the snake or the shed itself. as all have said once they shed ok the humidity is ok. You'll find the rub's hold the humidity great.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave