New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Calvert
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  23:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, we just bought a new Royal Python and I have set up a decent Vivarium, all the equipment bought from a reputable dealer near where we live. I was planning on a corn Snake but ended up preferring a Royal Python. They get fed at the dealers every Sunday, I picked ours up yesterday but he said don't feed it until a week Sunday. I agreed and left but now i'm asking myself why?? is there any reason why I should not go ahead and feed it on Sunday evening?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Failing that, I will go back to the dealer and find out.
Its a great looking Snake by the way.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  23:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum and congrats on the royal. I think you've been given good advice, as it's usual to give the snake a week's settling in period. However, I have read on here that they may feed in a new home in less than this time; why not compromise and feed him next Wednesday - there's no rule that you have to feed on a Sunday.

Royals can be funny beasties - I've heard of some feeding the day after purchase, others may be shy. I moved one of my girls to a different viv about a week ago, all her own furniture but clean bedding, and did she feed this time? No ...

All the best for his first feed, whatever you decide.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  23:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase. As BATS says there are no rules only guidelines, Royals may be fussy but they are extremely tough too. I do think giving a week to settle in is good advice though, I did the same when I got Duke and it took him three weeks to start eating (he is fussy) but he hasn't stopped since, greedy monster he is though there are plenty of Royals out there that will eat no matter what you do to them. The caresheet on the home page and the stickies on this forum are brilliant but if there is anything you need to know at all just ask BATS,

Go to Top of Page

Ian Calvert
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  23:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BurnedAtTheStake
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all the help I can get. I will try next Wednesday. They have also said to let him/her settle before we start handling it. Although we have handled it at the dealers before we got him/her.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  10:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase. As BATS says there are no rules only guidelines, Royals may be fussy but they are extremely tough too. I do think giving a week to settle in is good advice though, I did the same when I got Duke and it took him three weeks to start eating (he is fussy) but he hasn't stopped since, greedy monster he is though there are plenty of Royals out there that will eat no matter what you do to them. The caresheet on the home page and the stickies on this forum are brilliant but if there is anything you need to know at all just ask BATS,

Bob! You're making me blush! (But thanks anyway.)

Ian, he's teasing me - I've only owned royals for just over a year, and if I hadn't found this forum I'd be all at sea. There's a lot of good info on here and a lot of experienced people who will always help. Good luck with the feed.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  11:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ian. Welcome and congrats on your new Royal. I'm a newbie here myself and have been made very welcome and already learnt loads. You've come to the right place.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  12:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum,
Letting Royals settle in is a good thing.
As for feeding go straight to relevent size rats, many of us on here (me included) were told to use mice from pet shops but it causes more hassle than good when you try to swap over at a later date.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Ian Calvert
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  23:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you all for the advice. I finished setting the Viv up today. Got a lot of cork and bush from the dealer, set all that up with a Black Rock background with blue LED moonlight lights, looks great, not sure what the snake thinks tho' but it looks great in the dark. I've been watching him get around everything in there tonight, seems to like it, if that makes sense. Its a 'HE' by the way and also has the 'Albino' gene, as confirmed by the dealer today. He seems to think its a good thing when or if I breed him. He has great colouring.
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  23:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian, not sure that every seven days is right for a youngen either, I would have thought every 4 to 5 is he is a newborn, or 6 days if he is a little older

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

SaltyTurtle
Yearling

155 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  23:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Calvert

Thanks to you all for the advice. I finished setting the Viv up today. Got a lot of cork and bush from the dealer, set all that up with a Black Rock background with blue LED moonlight lights, looks great, not sure what the snake thinks tho' but it looks great in the dark. I've been watching him get around everything in there tonight, seems to like it, if that makes sense. Its a 'HE' by the way and also has the 'Albino' gene, as confirmed by the dealer today. He seems to think its a good thing when or if I breed him. He has great colouring.

Sounds wicked mate! I did all the same a few months back when I got mine, went to town on this & that, creating a Jurassic Park dream home...My old Percy's happy as larry, strike feeds without hesitation every 4-5 days, depending on how he's acting, and seems perfectly content in his 2ft by 21" x 18.5" viv.

The downside? He only uses 1/5 of the space, loves his teabag box which is under his roof tile in the warm end. Comes out at night for a mooch, but loves his bed. All my fake ivy leaves and expensive hides and african wood seem to be wasted on him.

Moral of the story, I don't regret it one bit, he's got the CHOICE if he needs it, but just make sure all the good stuff's in the end he uses, if it matters to you, or if like me it doesn't much, watch him ignore the £9 Exo Terra hide, and live in a Twinings Tea box underneath a cracked ridge tile I got free from a builders merchants! Go figure as the yanks would say!

Go to Top of Page

Ian Calvert
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  11:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, its not a newborn snake, he's around two I would say, maybe less. The only reason I feed him this way is on advice from the dealer/breeder zoo that we got him from. They have a great set up and hand rear all their sale snakes. Although he has freaked me out a little with snapping but i'm hoping that its because he is in a new environment and feels a little volatile (Hopefully that's all it is).
Sally, it is a great set up but as I mentioned above, i'm still waiting for him to settle down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000