New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doddles
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please help my 13 yr old son has a 5 month old male python & he will not strike we have 3 in total & the girls strike fine
we are having to false feed him every week & my son is starting to get very upset now
we have tried braining & heating up the nose but still he wont strike please help
(we do defrost in warm water & then leave to go cold like we were told to do )

my royal pythons
Hera hatched may 2011

Athena hatched April 2011

Tyson hatched April 2011

Dakota hatched June 2011 (corn snake)

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MANY snakes dont strike, you just leave the food in overnight. If you're force feeding then stop now, its likely that its not helping.

First things first whats is your setup like, as much info as is possible, size, temperatures, heating method, location in the house, thermostat yes or no, how many hides.

Though the answer may be in defrosting in water (washing off a lot of scent) and then leaving to go cold (they hunt using heat pits to detect heat, a hot rat is a tasty rat).

Edited by - Lotabob on 06/09/2011 19:44:38
Go to Top of Page

doddles
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all snakes are in my bed room as its quiet in there at present there in a plastic set up tank that has the bit 2 separate in off
they have a heat mat which is wot we told they could use as there still small & don't like to much space he has to hides & a water bowl my other 2 pythons have the same & there ok
2 of our snakes r from the same place & they were false feeding all of them there i got the female 2 strike the day she came home but the male is having none of it
we have drop fed over night but he still will not touch it he is on fuzzys right now

my royal pythons
Hera hatched may 2011

Tyson hatched April 2011

Go to Top of Page

python23
Yearling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 7 year old royal has probably gone for his food less than 5 times, ive always had to assist feed him when i open his mouth with the rat head hes fine he will go for it. they re ll different, all my other snakes strike fine.

02 Corn (female)
03 Amel corn (male)
03 Amel corn (female)
03 Royal reduced pattern (male)
05 Royal normal (male)
09 Het Pied (male)
10 Royal normal (female)
10 Het Pied (Female)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Bob says. I have three adult royals - the male strike feeds, one girl liked her rat left in with her, to eat at her leisure, but now strike feeds (from the shelter of her hide) and one I've never seen feed - she likes the rat left at the mouth of her hide and won't take until I leave the room.

What works for me is to put the rat in a plastic bag and defrost in the fridge overnight. Then take out and leave to come to room temperature or a bit warmer (I leave it on the warm top of the fishtank.) Then give the nose of the rat a thirty second blast with a hairdryer.

The royal's heat pits direct it to the prey and some royals won't take unless they sense a hot rat. I've seen mine strike, but ratty wasn't quite warm enough and they've gone zooming past towards the heatbulb guard - a good demonstration of how the heat pits work lol!

Hope this helps - and good luck!

Go to Top of Page

doddles
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  19:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank u will try these out next week at there next feed & get back to you

my royal pythons
Hera hatched may 2011

Tyson hatched April 2011

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  20:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think you can afford to not force feed (or I think you mean assist feed, putting the food in their mouth and not force feeding which is putting the food down their throat) for a few weeks/months while to establish the best way to feed him. They can be fussy with technique, my big fatty Duke will only eat in private overnight, others need a hot rat, some will eat anything put in front of them, others are picky and prefer mice over rats and some will eat chicks. The good news is I think its too young to be fasting so its more than likely a husbandry issue or feeding technique. I would start by just leaving him completely alone for a few weeks without any handling or feeding, it wont do any harm at all, just water changes, take a small rat pup (start small) and just defrost it by leaving it out in the air for a few hours near the tub then quietly put the pup a few inches infront of the hide, and then leave well alone until morning in the dark, if you cant do a dark room then put something over the tub to block the light.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000