New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aimeecrr
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  16:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been looking around this fantastic forum, and i keep seeing led lights mentioned. I havnt got my royal yet but buying the bits and pieces he/she will need. Is an LED buld handy to have? I would love to see them at night moving around in the tank, its going to be in my room, and im a heavy sleeper so if it was bright it wudnt bother me. Do you have to put an additional fiiting the tank to have the extra bulb? Sorry for all the questions, im a novice when it comes to royals, any comments would help :-)

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  16:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were you I'd just have an infra-red heat bulb with dimmer stat and guard - the snake can't 'see' infra red light but you'll be able to watch its nocturnal moochings without any extra fittings. White light would be stressful for the snake at night but infra-red can be left on 24/7 - not sure about that blue moonlight effect though.

But yes, loads of people use LED - I don't but there will be plenty who can advise.

Edited by - n/a on 07/09/2011 16:37:09
Go to Top of Page

aimeecrr
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  16:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With my corns i just have a red bulb on one side of the tank and they seem to like it, but i can barely see them during the night, they arnt in my room at the mo but will be at some point, that bulb is quite bright, is there any particular colour? Can they see some and not others?, Thank you for being patient, still learning :-)

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  10:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, are you talking about an actuall tank, like a fish tank? In which case ditch that. Tanks are not good for most snakes, in fact for most reptiles, as the heat and humidity can't be properly maintained. Also it's like living in a greenhouse for them, it's not comfortable and can lead to stress and non-feeding problems.
If your talking about a vivarium, however, this is fine for an adult, but not for a baby. Royals are prone to not liking big spaces (although there are exeptions), so a RUB (Really Useful Box) is ideal for a young one. Don't ever use a faunarium!

Anyways, back to you quiestion. Snakes in general don't seem to be able to see infra red light, so if you really want a light in the viv then an IR bulb is what you need, stated and guarded of course to avoid any injury. It doesn't seem to bother them at all and it means that you will be able to see them at night without much disurbance.
As far as a RUB goes, however, I'm pretty certain that a bulb of any sort would melt the plastic, so in that case you might have to wait until he/she is in their viv.

Hope that helps : )

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  11:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do wonder if snakes just dont mind any light as long as its dim? The infra red lamps that are used and seem to not disturb the snakes emits infra red light (in the form of heat) and visible red light. If it was just infra red then we would not be able to see much at all as the wavelength is beyond the visible spectrum.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000