Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Offender
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  11:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Im new here and got my first Royal last tuesday after having a corn for a few years.

I got myself a CB11 Normal royal from a reptile shop in warrington, and have been reading posts on the forum intently.

This morning I have read the royal python health board, and was reading about mites so I went and had a look in my water bowl as I read that if they had any mites they would bath themselves to try and kill them.

I found a little black thing in the water floating on top. Picked it out and had a look under the light, but couldnt see any legs or anything. Was going to get a magnifying glass, but then I dropped the little black thing, and as I went to pick it up I squashed it and it squished and red stuff came out of it.

I am guessing it was a mite, but dont know for sure, because I squashed it.

I havent seen anything on the snake, but was wondering what would be the best thing I should do?

I have read about the hypoaspis mites, which seem a good option.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys!

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  11:28:55  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does sound suspiciously like you have mites, I've heard good things about hypoaspis mites too, as long as you can keep them alive for the full life cycle, I can tell you however that that Callingtons works a treat and has now been licensed for use directly on your snake, just remember to follow the instructions and take out the water dish for the 1st 24hrs after spraying, and good luck.

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Offender
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  12:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scubadude

Does sound suspiciously like you have mites, I've heard good things about hypoaspis mites too, as long as you can keep them alive for the full life cycle, I can tell you however that that Callingtons works a treat and has now been licensed for use directly on your snake, just remember to follow the instructions and take out the water dish for the 1st 24hrs after spraying, and good luck.

This stuff?
http://www.supapet.com/40-callingtons-mite-spray.html

Im guessing that will treat the snake and the viv?

Do I just spray it on the snake and in the viv?

Thanks for your reply!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  12:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a good thread -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6205&whichpage=1

and this is useful too -

http://www.vpi.com/publications/the_life_history_of_snake_mites

(found by Lotabob, thanks Bob.)

Good luck with the evil critters.

Go to Top of Page

Offender
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  15:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone.

Viv emptied and substrate baking in the oven. Cleaned everything with a soapy solution and applied the stuff you reccomended.

Hes in a rub while everything dries out.

He didnt mind being sprayed either. Such a relaxed little guy he is!

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Yearling

United Kingdom
326 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  16:38:23  Show Profile  Click to see scubadude's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no problem, just remember to retreat as per instructions then hopefully you'll have no further need of the callingtons, my 1st came from warrington, and came with extras, it happens sometimes, female came from the same place and had no problems at all, upshot of this is whenever I collect a new guy they travel home in a callingtons treated pillowcase, and go into a pre treated enclosure. (before any keyboard heroes start bashing me for not following quarenteen procedure, I do the best I can with the available space I have, and have had no issues so far). Plus the fact that mites can and do travel quite happily from one room to another, so if you have mites in one treat as though you have them with all

1.0 Classic corn snake
2.3 Normal Royal
1.1 spider royal
1.0 Mojave Royal
1.0 Butter Royal
0.1 Pastel ph ghost Royal
1.0 Enchi Royal python
1.0 Pastel royal poss ???
1.1 Yellowbelly Royal
1.1 Cinnamon Royal
1.1 Fire Royal
1.1 100% het Clowns
1.1 Crawl cay boas
1.0 Hypo hog island boa
0.1 Hog island Boa
coming soon
0.1 Bumblebee

opinions are like ars*holes, everyone's got one, but you don't need to share them with the world.
Go to Top of Page

Offender
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  16:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scubadude

no problem, just remember to retreat as per instructions then hopefully you'll have no further need of the callingtons, my 1st came from warrington, and came with extras, it happens sometimes, female came from the same place and had no problems at all, upshot of this is whenever I collect a new guy they travel home in a callingtons treated pillowcase, and go into a pre treated enclosure. (before any keyboard heroes start bashing me for not following quarenteen procedure, I do the best I can with the available space I have, and have had no issues so far). Plus the fact that mites can and do travel quite happily from one room to another, so if you have mites in one treat as though you have them with all

The callingtons treated pillow case is a great idea.

If (when) I get another, I shall do that.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000