New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  16:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got my Royals I noticed the male has a scar a few inches from his head, is this a burn or something else??

He has been in shed since I got him but just wanted to check this was okay??

Incidentally, all heat sources are guarded in my Viv and this wass before I owned him.

Thanks, Jason.

1.1.0 Royal Python (Normal)
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier
2.1.0 Domestic Short Haired Cat
0.0.1 Horsefeild Tortoise

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  16:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could be, kind of hard to tell.

My axanthic scar, aptly named, has a lot of scars from bites and scratches etc. And they look similar to that, it could be a burn but i'm not sure how he'd go about burning himself in that place.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  16:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it's nothing to worry about, thanks for the quick reply!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  17:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too think it will shed out - though a burn, as Kelf says, is unusual to find in that place, unless he once banged his neck on an unguarded bulb.

Last Nov I bought an 06 girl, Surahi, and although I knew she had a scar on her belly (sellers were honest) I didn't realise there was another scar lower down until she started to go blue. Then it looked prominent and crusty and really quite frightening. I arranged to see a vet if it didn't improve after the shed.

It did. It went back to being almost unnoticeable. She seems to have had several homes, but, in one of them I think she must have burned her belly on the horrible unstatted heat mat.She's fine now though.

Could be Khal is coming up to shed and that is why you notice this blemish? If so, it will probably be nothing once he's shed. Hope so!

Edited by - n/a on 28/08/2011 17:44:14
Go to Top of Page

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  18:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, to be honest this scar has always been quite prominent. He only shed 2 days ago and this pic was taken today, if anything it doesn't seem as bad as before he was in shed.

On the other-hand Khaleesi shed about 3 weeks ago and is in shed again atm, eyes cloudy blue and very grumpy which is normal for her. They have very different temperaments. lol

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't you try some Zoo Med Repti Wound Healing Aid,I've used it.and it helps and speeds up healing :)

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  23:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also http://www.f10biocare.co.uk/ointment.html

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Wendigo
Yearling

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  12:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that is a burn. Theonly way I can think he got it is if there was a tree stump, or large rocknext to an unguarded bulb that he's leaned against. Or if a heat mat was put on the side if a viv instead of the bottom. Or sadly he could have had a cruel owner who deliberately burnt him. You might find him shedding more as that's when Wendigo did when she was burnt. Flamazine was used to cure Wendigo, it a human cream, but perfectly safe for animals, and a lot cheaper too. Soak him in warm salty water for about 5 10 mins, dry then apply cream, do that everyday, and he should clear up. But take him to your vet for a quick check-up incase there's a chance it's infected. Good luck!!

0.2.0 Normal Royal Python. Wendigo & Chepi
1.2.0 Dogs. Bedley,Nuna,Holly.
0.2.0 Hens. Orakiah & Astrid
1.2.0 Tortoises. Ishi, Pandora,Squirt.
0.2.0 Rats. Mouse, Flubba.
Go to Top of Page

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  16:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks for the advice people! Appreciated but this scar/wound is old, not sure how old but it's been there since I've had him; approx 3 weeks. So should it still be treated??

Thanks folks!!

Oh and on unrelated news, I've had some feeding issues with both my Royals since getting them. Khal I was advised was due a feed and it had been about 2 weeks since his last and Khaleesi was in Preecdysis the first stages of shed so would be unlikely to eat, I have attempted to feed Khal twice so far with no success.
I have done lots of reading and I have bided my time, waited it out and not panicked. Today Khal took his first feed from me! Yiiipppeeee!!!

Sorry I know I'm taking my own thread OT but I'm really happy, I didn't even jump when he struck. Although my girlfiend did. lol

Edited by - JayJ on 29/08/2011 16:19:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  17:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the feed, JayJ and Khal!

Hard to say about the scar - if definitely an old healed scar I wouldn't use ointment, but as others have said, if there's any trace of inflammation, yes I would. Any redness or swelling, I'd see a vet.

Is there any chance of getting additional info from the person who sold you the snakes, to give you any guidance as to when and how this occurred?

I think it's a good sign that it's less obvious after his shed - but without actually seeing it in the flesh, it's hard to say exactly what to do.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd just leave it, it seems to be already healing quite well, its not an open wound so you dont need to treat it, as he sheds it will repair over time. It does look like the shape of a bulb edge so maybe he has burn't it reaching up past it but not too badly as burns go, it could also just be a cut but the important thing is its well on its way to healed. Just keep an eye on it and nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

JayJ
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  18:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it! I think it's healed but I will keep a close eye on it, hopefully it'll fade over time.

I know I said I didn't panic about him not feeding but I was worried, extremely happy and relieved he has feed now. Once Khaleesi has shed it's her turn next!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000