Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tylersmatrix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  10:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have had Goldie for a week now and when i bought him he had just been in shed. I had him out yesterday and noticed that he has a few light patches on his head which i think may be left over from his shed. He also has a piece of shed still attached to his neck. I have tried using a cotton wool bud wet with water but didnt seem to make any difference. Any ideas/ tips on what this is or how i can sort it out?

Also another pic just because i have it!

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  11:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as his eyecaps are clear, this isn't too much to worry about. My male was the same; when I got him last year he had tiny patches of stuck shed which seemed 'crozzled' into his skin and wouldn't come off. Blackecho and Robert on here advised me not to worry and they were right; the patches shed out - much to my relief!

One thing you could try is to dampen a pillowcase, put him in, tie the top, put the whole thing in a ventilated rub for about 30 minutes, supervised, and let him squirm. The damp and friction of the fabric is very good for bringing off stuck patches of shed.

All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  20:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like nothing more than a few scales left over so I wouldn't worry, in the pictures the eye appears clear but you'll be able to see best, check that they are clear, shiney and not looking tatty round the edges. The tail tip is another one to check, again tatty and not shiney is the biggest clues. If you think that the eyes and tail are clear then dont worry, next time it goes blue raise the humidity, provide a moss hide or something like that and all the scruffy bits will come away with the old skin.

Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  22:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So long as the spectacles (eye caps) are clear and the tip of the tail all else, with a bit of humidity should be fine, the tail tip is important as if it remains on and dries it can constrict and may in the worst case cause necrosis and the tip of the tail to rot away.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  23:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was assuming Goldie's tail was clear since not mentioned but I have a corn who always retains her tailtip. She's pretty used to it by now, getting her tail bathed, just gives me a funny look - 'taking liberties with my tail again, Lil!' The retained shed is easy to see and soon slides off when damp.

Go to Top of Page

Tylersmatrix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
16 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  15:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
checked his tail when i bought him and it was clear from shed. I have dampened his neck and it is gradually coming away. Eyes are clear and he is doing well- a good little feeder- not very accurate though! lol.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  16:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine are always leaving a handful of scales on their heads, it's incredibly annoying.
I don't bother getting them off myself though they normally fix it after a few days or so if not 9 times out of 10 its off in the next shed.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  18:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a female corn who always retains her tail tip too eventually it does come away but I have had to bathe her and use shed ease sometimes, must be more a corn thing Bats :)

Edited by - Robert on 28/08/2011 18:46:01
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  01:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something else I've learned, thank you lol. I didn't know about tail tips butI've already had retained eyecaps and an appallingly bitty shed so will be more prepared next time. Humidity box made and actually already in use. Oscar loves it, lol.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000