New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gary
Yearling

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  10:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi just a small Q can i put two young royals together while my new vivs are getting built. plz let me know asap cheers

1xgtp 1xjungel carpet python 1x normal royal 1x100% pastel boa 1x pueblan 1x cali king

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  10:56:33  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't... just get two RUBs in the time being while you wait, they're fairly cheap in places like Tesco/Staples :)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  11:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it's just for a small time I'd probably just put them together

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  11:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummm....sorry Kelf, I know it can be done, but I personally wouldn't. I keep meaning to get my three together for a few minutes for a photoshoot and then worrying that it would stress them. (I know I'm a fusspot lol.)

If one of them goes off their feed you'll be kicking yourself. Spare rubs always come in handy and a spare mat and stat likewise.You can never be over-equipped imo

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  19:53:06  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good idea to keep everyone seperate.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  10:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ummm....sorry Kelf, I know it can be done, but I personally wouldn't.

Probably the right answer, I need to stop giving my honest opinions out lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  11:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ummm....sorry Kelf, I know it can be done, but I personally wouldn't.

Probably the right answer, I need to stop giving my honest opinions out lol

No, Kelf, this is a forum, after all - everyone's opinions matter and it's true that many people do successfully cohab royals. It's just that I wouldn't personally, and I didn't want to just jump in there and give the opposite view without apologising to you, it would have looked as if I was just shouting you down ...if you see what I mean ...hope I've made sense, only just got up lol ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  11:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol yeah I see what you're saying, I think I should probably adhere to the socially accepted forms of snake keeping when giving out advice though, wouldn't like anything bad to happen through my opinion :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  11:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - we're both worrybuckets aren't we?

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  18:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could go on about this for like 200 pages,

How many shops,or people have you seen that do house snakes together,then use terms like

"oh they like to cuddle in the same hide"when in fact,they don't have much choice in the matter.

think a good answer would be,snakes housed together,can bring on all kinds of problems.Or one getting eaten by the other,it can and does happen.

So in the end its down to the owner knowing the risks of it.

its not like a sugar glider or something,to many cons when it comes to snakes.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  20:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of the topics that causes the most debate,
yes you can put them together, snakes are put together to breed without anyone even raising an eyebrow but you ask if you can do it for a short period of time and everyone says no, go figure.
If its for a short period of time without food being offered then i`d say you`ll be fine. But i wouldn`t keep them together if your offering food.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  21:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

yes you can put them together, snakes are put together to breed without anyone even raising an eyebrow but you ask if you can do it for a short period of time and everyone says no, go figure.
If its for a short period of time without food being offered then i`d say you`ll be fine. But i wouldn`t keep them together if your offering food.

Yeah to breed,where both snakes would be adults,and would be together for that reason.plus the op said young royals,so one could be bigger then the other,or both could be tiny.and people say don't,as theres a chance for problems,if everything went swell in all cases,you think there would be any debate.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  22:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Yeah to breed,where both snakes would be adults,and would be together for that reason.plus the op said young royals,so one could be bigger then the other,or both could be tiny.and people say don't,as theres a chance for problems,if everything went swell in all cases,you think there would be any debate.

It's the owners decision, if you're going to be so defiant on the subject you have to also tell people to stop having cats and dogs together, birds and rodents, cats and fish etc.

There is risk as every person in this thread said, but it's a very, very small risk.
In fact personally I don't like seeing the way people think of owners who cohabit as bad owners, everyone posts saying "it's your choice at the end of the day" but what they really mean tends to be "none of us can stop you but you're doing it wrong" from the people I know, the shops I've been to, the thousands of co-habited snakes I've known of I've never heard of a case of cannibalism (which seems to be the main concern) yes I've seen pictures but hell this is the internet there is a picture of every possibility so at the end of the day I think as long as the owner keeps an eye on what's happening then it's an okay practice as the risk's are so very low. I don't cohabit mine because quite frankly I have enough space to not have to cohabit now, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it if a thermostat blew up and I couldn't get a replacement or I rescued a royal but didn't have a spare vivarium for him.
Yeah I'd probably never keep snakes cohabiting permanently but thats 95% due to the fact it'd be harder to keep records than the 5% worry of cannibalism.

Sorry for that rant it kind of got away from me haha!

Go to Top of Page

Oh How Original
Yearling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  00:08:57  Show Profile  Click to see Oh How Original's MSN Messenger address  Send Oh How Original a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would personally only ever keep two snakes together for breeding purposes.
It comes down to personal opinion.
Do you want to have two happy snakes living in their own enviroment.
Or do you want to run the risk of one injuring the other accidently?
A simple accident could leave one with a cut/infection which could at least leave vet bills, and at worst, death of the snake.
I know I'd never do it, unless it was absolutely necessary.

When on the Forums, always be nice, stick to the rules and help when you can.
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  06:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kelf, couldn`t have put it any better....
Can i just add that there are many different ways to house Royals and many owners on here including myself can and do advise on the side of caution, these snakes are our pets at the end of the day, however much of that caution i believe could come from the fact that when we first became owners we hear these horror stories of "NON FEEDING ROYALS" and many of us believe in keeping the status quo, if it eats dont change a thing!
A few months ago i spent an evening with a few other people talking to John Berry and someone asked the question "can i house 2 Royals together?" His answer was an instant yes. My first thougt was that cant be correct, but there i was with one of the top breeders in the world.
So do i house mine together - no, i dont need to, however putting 2 together for a few days which will be no different than putting 2 together for breeding (where they will be different sizes)realistically isn`t going to be a problem. But i also stated that i wouldn`t feed them together where i believe risks can be caused,

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 21/09/2011 08:57:06
Go to Top of Page

gary
Yearling

United Kingdom
120 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  09:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers guys that was interesting wow i think this was a mixed bag ill put him in a rub. thanks again guys

1xgtp 1xjungel carpet python 1x normal royal 1x100% pastel boa 1x pueblan 1x cali king
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000