New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ellie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  15:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm moving from near London up to Nottingham next week - about a 2 hour drive - and want to make the journey as stress free for Bambi as possible.

The guy that I bought her from (Mark Amey in Bovingdon, if any of you know of him?) suggested that I put her in a pillowcase and keep this inside my jacket/jumper while I'm driving, so I am effectively acting as her personal radiator, which seems like a sensible idea as I'll stay at a constant high enough temp for her. But I was just wondering if anybody has any other suggestions or tips for keeping stress levels down for royal car journeys?

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  15:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds a bit dangerous to me, one sharp brake and your poor pet has had it. Do put her in a pillow case as that will help her to not get too stressed on the journey. try and get one of those insulated boxes and put her in the pillow case, in the box, that should maintain her heat to a reasonable level, but please remember that she needs to breath

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  15:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I would put her in a pillowcase, inside a polybox with airholes - Mark Amey would probably be able to supply one, or any aquatic/rep store. You could put a towel in the bottom of the box and/or some crumpled newspaper/kitchen towel to pack out spaces. If the day and the car are warm she should be fine. You could warm up the box with a hot water bottle beforehand (take it out before Bambi goes in) and the polystyrene will retain the heat for a long time. Just make sure the box is somewhere where it can't be jolted; on the floor behind a front seat should be fine, and tape the box lid down securely so that she can't squirm and push the lid off. Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We overlapped Mark, lol. Oh forgot to add, tie the top of the pillowcase securely; she will amuse herself by untying it otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  15:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whenever I transport my snakes it's always in a pillow case and then the case is put either inside a cardboard box or a rub filled with shredded newspaper, some newspaper in the pillow helps as well.

2 hours isn't too long though so long as you keep some heat on in the car it should be fine I've had snakes travel much longer distances and been fine once out.

edit: overlapped, sorry bats

Edited by - Kelfezond on 23/09/2011 15:59:48
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  19:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what if said snake,starts moving around alot,and falls from your jacket,sounds a bit dangerous to me to.

Just do what bats and Kelfezond said,it will be fine for only two hours.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  19:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Whenever I transport my snakes it's always in a pillow case and then the case is put either inside a cardboard box or a rub filled with shredded newspaper, some newspaper in the pillow helps as well.

2 hours isn't too long though so long as you keep some heat on in the car it should be fine I've had snakes travel much longer distances and been fine once out.

edit: overlapped, sorry bats

lol no probs Kelf

Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  01:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't had Internet in the new house.

I ditched the jumper/jacket idea pretty quickly as I agree, it just didn't seem safe enough! I ended up putting Bambi in a pillowcase with crumpled up kitchen towel in, inside a box with airholes and more kitchen towel to pad it out. I pre-warmed it with a hot water bottle and taped it shut to avoid an escape, put her in a footwell to stop the box moving around lots, and kept a reasonable heat Inside the car...and she seemed fairly unbothered by the journey an is settling in just fine!

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000