Stat probe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  08:17:38  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, where do you put your probe? currently i have mine under the light on top of the cave but im wanting to move it so nothing can affect the temp (like the probe being moved) and i dont want to glue it down because that will cause problems come cleaning day.

How is yours setup?

thanks

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  08:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the stat an temp proble should be sat ontop of the substrate. personally i have drilled 2 holes low down in the wall of my viv with the probes poked through them.

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  11:47:30  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter where your stat probe is as long as your temperature is correct.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  13:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By that Kelf I'm sure means as long as it stays in one (the same) position then its OK. I prefer mine under the bulb, control the source so to speak but that means my probe has to have direct line of sight to the bulb, others have it in the middle, you can have a tinker and see what works best in your setup.

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  14:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine is in the middle, but also fitted through the rear of the viv via drilled holes.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  17:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mines under the bulb. does it make any difference if its in the middle or is it just personal preference?

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  17:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah as bob said as long as it stays in the same place it doesn't make much of a difference if it's directly under the bulb or not, the probe has nothing to do with temperature all it does is apply different amounts of power to the bulb based on how hot or cold the location of the probe is, it's a bit fiddley but once you get it set up you shouldn't need to touch it again.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  20:35:53  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I set the middle temp via the thermostat and also monitor the end temps to make sure the gradient is good. I allow a 2-3 degree variant in the middle before altering the stat, this gives a 4-5 degree max variant at either end which i think is fine. I will allow a degree of movement of the stat prob before panicking but try to maintain its position in the middle of the viv.

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  02:31:24  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, yeah mine is directly under the bulb, the viv has a good temp and gradient but im just worried cause the probes not tied down and i dont want them to move, BUT if i glue them or whatever, cleaning will become very awkward, what do you guys suggest?

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  17:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Screw-eye in bottom front panel of viv, probe entering hole drilled in side of viv and threaded through screw eye and secured by cable tie (snip long end off.) I like to fix my probes about a foot in from the warm end wall and 2" from floor, but, as Kelf says, doesn't matter where the probe is if your temps are correct.

Amendment, the little gits will ALWAYS crap on the probe flex but at least you can wiggle it about to clean it lol.

Edited by - n/a on 30/09/2011 18:59:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000