New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  09:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm almost through with the mice (not me, she is) and she probably needs to go up to the next size by now. But I'm wondering, do I really have to trek all the way to Crystal Palace with a cool bag or is there some service where they get delivered, frozen?

I'm quite busy the next few weekends and there's only two mice left... hence my posting this.

0.0.3 Koi Carp

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  09:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frambo
Found this online - haven't used myself because I live metres from excellent reptile retailer but have heard about this site from friends (don't know if anyone ordered yet just knew of it's existence)

http://www.frozenmice.co.uk/

hope this helps

0.1.0 Royal Python - Cora
1.0.0 Carpet Python - Koshi
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  09:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also maybe good idea for those in Non-eating club as they do "tastier" treats like gerbils and chicks

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  17:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsmreptiles.co.uk/page2.html
http://anfrozenfoods.co.uk/

I'm a big fan of frozen bulk deliveries. You do need the freezer space and the snakes to eat up the grub before it goes off - otherwise if you have a friend with reps, it's a great idea to share delivery.

I like A&N but sadly they're snowed under and a lot of stuff is out of stock. Even with £20 delivery charge for a 'small' box (which holds a lot!) they're the cheapest and their rodents are fresh and beautiful.

Since I need a load of rodents now I'm placing a delivery with TSM this time, a bit more expensive despite delivery being free on orders over £125, and have heard very good reports of them.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  20:56:26  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont get mine delivered as i dont have the space and im also lucky to have 2 local suppliers. I did discover though, that 'normal' pet shops like super pets etc will often stock frozen rats. So you may not need to put in the miles! I once used my local independent pet shop too, she was expensive but convenient for a fussy florence who needed her rats to be rubbed with mice in order to get her to eat at the time!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  18:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've given it a go with the link that Sam posted. I went for medium mice which she'll hopefully like the taste of.

I'll let you know how the delivery etc goes- the price was reasonable for a next day delivery.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  18:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey bats just so you know I placed a massive order with a and n about two weeks back when it was all out of stock on their site and the full order arrived last week, I wasn't expecting it to be so quick and it caught me unaware and made my account overdrawn lol.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  19:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOh excellent Frambo - look forward to your review x

Go to Top of Page

lemur
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  19:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long will the mice or rats last in freezer?

0.1.0 Royal python. Sammy
0.1.0 Bearded dragon.Charlie
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  19:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always thought it was 6 months
Or if it looks like it's got frost bite

I may be wrong

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Sam84
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  20:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say 6mths because that's how long you can keep chicken - i'd rather be on the safe side.
xx

Go to Top of Page

lemur
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  21:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i may try internet delivery as the two shops nearby dont always have what i am after for feeding the two reptiles.

0.1.0 Royal python. Sammy
0.1.0 Bearded dragon.Charlie
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  02:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

Hey bats just so you know I placed a massive order with a and n about two weeks back when it was all out of stock on their site and the full order arrived last week, I wasn't expecting it to be so quick and it caught me unaware and made my account overdrawn lol.

Thanks, Kelf.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  13:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would really miss going down to the reptile shops and having a chat once a month when I stock up, checking out their stock. I'm lucky I have 2 within a stones throw of my house.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  13:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a store near mine too Lotabob but it costs me £50 a week there instead of £90 for 10 weeks from A&N :P I miss the chat with the guys but I'm not prepared to pay an extra £410 for that lol

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

I have a store near mine too Lotabob but it costs me £50 a week there instead of £90 for 10 weeks from A&N :P I miss the chat with the guys but I'm not prepared to pay an extra £410 for that lol

To right,I get my insects online and only use the store to top up when in need.Just been out today afew prices are.
50p for a small pinkie
£1.40 ex large mice (sometimes they try and sell you med for the same price)
£1.50 small weaners.

Afew random prices there,if only buying afew aweek online is more expensive due to p&p.if like Kelfezond you buy alot,then its just lost trade to the shops.

As you can't tell me they buy in bulk,then have to charge the above prices.How much custom do they lose,because of the we can make 90% profit on frozen food?

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  22:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well said, Boom'

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  11:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Food arrived next morning in less than 12 hours from delivery.

Slight problem, didn't go into freezer for 5 hours after I got it.
I opened it and they were still cool, but more like a fridge than a freezer. I bunged them in the freezer straight away though.

So my question is, are these okay for her or do I need to leave them for the foxes and order some more which will be kept frozen this time?

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  13:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there were still ice-crystals in the rodents ie they were still stiff even if not ultra frozen, they will be fine.

One delivery of mine came with the polybox shattered (I wasn't best pleased.) A packet of small mice had definitely gone soft at the edges (although mainly rigid and icy) but I stuck them straight in the freezer and have had no complaints.

Go to Top of Page

martinking6
Yearling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  01:08:05  Show Profile  Click to see martinking6's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ive just placed an order with these guys

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/frozenfoods/rats

Seem reasonable prices, delivery comes thursday so will let you know how it goes

Martin

Got a lovely royal python called earl, a brazilian rainbow boa called zeus, a red tail cross boa constrictor called dorris and an albino burmese python called angel as well :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000