New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  20:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else got a male gone into a breeding fast yet?
i need a few tips, my male lost 200g in an 8month fast last yr from oct - june (he was 1100g when he went into the fast last yr) hes only gone back up to 1064g and has refused for 5 weeks but not lost any weight so i think we're back in the breeding fast.
Wot do other royal owners do to get them feeding again coz we eventually tried to assist feed unsuccessfully then he struck the week after but i dont wanna go as long as we did last yr, he still in great condition.
also if he gets a female friends to play with will his appetite return quicker?

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  22:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time and patience is the best remedy for a fasting Royal. They aren't sick or anything they are just doing what they do, the only thing to do is monitor the fast, keep a track of weight loss. You only need intervene if the the weight really starts dropping off quickly or if illness occurs. Though I thought my big fella was fasting (off food for 5 weeks) but he ate a much smaller rat on Sunday so maybe there is hope that every once in a while they break fast for a snack.

Go to Top of Page

andi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  22:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our female went off for a ew weeks then our small baby went into shed so instead of having a med mouse go to waste offered it to her and she wolfed it!!! but i leave my boy for weeks then offer and he refuses, i know its to be expected but hes my boy and as a mum u worry when ur kids dont eat so i do my best to not worry but i do
just need to wait and see wot he does
im too scared to scent food with multis, gerbils, chicks etc incase he decides thats all he wants but i dunno, just think 8 months is a bit long....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  23:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone on here - Robert I think it was - had a royal who fasted for 9 months; SurroundedbyMadness has a royal who just started eating after 8 months ...I've never had a royal myself who fasted so long, so I don't want to sound blase ...I think maybe I might be a nervous wreck if one of mine did! But, that's what some royals do. They really are feast or famine snakes. I try to look at it as being like hibernation; it's something that's natural for royals.

It IS great when they're scarfing down the rats; I feel disappointed myself when one refuses; I'm like you and everybody else, I like my lot to feed regularly, but, when it comes to it, we just have to accept that that is what royals do ...

Edited by - n/a on 18/10/2011 23:24:38
Go to Top of Page

andi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  22:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, is there anything u might do different than i do? i know its a royal thing and iv just to accept it but after 6mnths i do worry and i do not wanna go down the route of assist feeding again i dont like stressing him out. when urs are on a fast do u offer once a mnth, every week, once a fortnight ???? to get them started again do u use a multi, brain the feed, scent them ??? i would luv to have him feed more thru the summer if he is only gonna eat for 4mnths of the yr
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  05:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only had one winter with fasting royals (and am about to have another no doubt lol) and I ended up (after reading on this forum) offering once a fortnight, I don't bother braining or scenting and I've never tried multis for fear they'll refuse to switch back to rats lol. I offer smaller prey items as these are often more readily taken (and can also be recycled via most of my corns/gopher snake if the royal refuses - colubrids do come in handy!)

Oh boy it's a great feeling when the royals do start taking again, but all we can do, until they do, is wait ...all the best!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000