live feeding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  17:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as some of you know i've been taking care of oh how original's bumblebee for the last month or so and she hasn't been eating a thing, I tried assist feeding but in the end always had tto end up force feeding her and always very small meals. Anyway today me and OHO made the joint decision to try live feeding as her weight just wasn't increasing with the pinkies and she still looked like a bag of bones.

within about five seconds angel was on the multo constricting and after ten minutes she had eaten a whole full sized meal all by herself! Was so happy with her it's incredible what they can do when they want to! Amazing

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  17:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Each has there own personality,perhaps angel didnt like dead food,or could tell it was dead.But who knows right,Anyway thats really good news

Where do you buy the live food from?

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  18:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found a lady on rfuk who breeds multi's and she gave me one to try for free.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  18:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelfezond

I found a lady on rfuk who breeds multi's and she gave me one to try for free.

Thats nice of her then,So whats the plan for next feed then?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  18:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's excellent that you found a way of kick-starting her appetite. What size did you give her?

Go to Top of Page

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  18:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had to live feed my first royal, many years ago and under advisement from the vet. it only took one live feed and after that she ate defrost

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  19:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As blackskull says, i'm hoping now she's actually eaten food herself she'll take defrost. If not i'll have to keep buying live until she starts eating properly.

Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  19:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, but Multi`s are the Royals equivelent of chocolate and they can become addicted to them very quickly. Thats not a bad thing if you have a ready supply though.
I had to use them and still do about once a year to keep Joker interested in feeding.
I`d strongly recommend thawing your next rat out in a sealed tub with a multi you may be pleasantly surprised.

Royals owned "lots"

Edited by - hodgie on 17/10/2011 19:21:12
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  20:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great news Stephen :)

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Jody McGrath
Hatchling

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  22:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have four Royals, one of whom (Male ButterPin) refuses to eat anything if it doesn't move. He has eaten defrost once and point blank ignores it. He was starting to look very skinny and I made the choice to feed live mice, they don't really fight back like rats. Before this I tried assist, again, no luck. He contorted himself into all sorts of positions to avoid the rat being placed in his mouth. He totally ignored the mouse the first time, even let it come up and sniff him right on the nose! Tried again a week later and he struck and coiled quite quickly, the proceeded to drop it once dead! Put a pillow in front of his viv and he picked it up and ate it. Awkward sod doesn't like light or being watched whilst eating. Next two times I gave him two and then yesterday was offered gerbils, which I gladly took as they are much larger than mice. Had to keep a real eye on them as the gerbils are a bit more lairy than mice, they react a bit more than mice to the fact they are about to be dinner.

All my others eat defrost, two each week without fail, the other off and on. I would have no qualms about feeding them live if they went more than a month without feeding, I do not know why there is so much stigma about it here in the UK, providing it is done correctly and safely, to minimise the risk to both animals (injury to the snake or suffering to the mouse/gerbil). Supervision at all times is a must, and if the animal is not eaten must be removed.

Gargamel, the ButterPin, is now packing on the weight and looking so much healthier. Just a shame he went without for so long, he would have been ready for breeding this season had he been eating defrost each week. But his health is more important to me than that.
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  08:42:03  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes, rats are my biggest fear about live feeding, hamster are doing good now while Blitz is still growing, but as soon as he become an adult RP, i'm sure i'm gonna have to switch from hamsters to rats, and here it start to be dangerouse using the live feeding method !
But for how, Blitz is really enjoying his fresh meals and me too, i really love the way he strick at the hamsters and then swollow it, i've seen it 9 times and i can't get enough

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  10:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting on a little madam that only takes live, the breeder has said she is happy for me to take her if I'm ok with feeding her, which I am only for the fact as far as I'm aware there is no one near me who breeds them so i'm playing the waiting game lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  11:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tawfik47

yes, rats are my biggest fear about live feeding, hamster are doing good now while Blitz is still growing, but as soon as he become an adult RP, i'm sure i'm gonna have to switch from hamsters to rats, and here it start to be dangerouse using the live feeding method !
But for how, Blitz is really enjoying his fresh meals and me too, i really love the way he strick at the hamsters and then swollow it, i've seen it 9 times and i can't get enough

Hi, Tawfik, you might be able to keep Blitz on hamsters, depending on how large he grows, for a good long time, as an adult Syrian hamster is capable of reaching the weight of a small/medium rat. Probably the hamsters you buy in the market won't be adult but you might be able to arrange to buy large hamsters that are surplus to the suppliers' breeding stock.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  12:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:

Hi, Tawfik, you might be able to keep Blitz on hamsters, depending on how large he grows, for a good long time, as an adult Syrian hamster is capable of reaching the weight of a small/medium rat. Probably the hamsters you buy in the market won't be adult but you might be able to arrange to buy large hamsters that are surplus to the suppliers' breeding stock.

If you can sometimes buy live rats,how about breeding them?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Royalbob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
1115 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  12:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hodgie

Congrats, but Multi`s are the Royals equivelent of chocolate and they can become addicted to them very quickly. Thats not a bad thing if you have a ready supply though.
I had to use them and still do about once a year to keep Joker interested in feeding.
I`d strongly recommend thawing your next rat out in a sealed tub with a multi you may be pleasantly surprised.

2nd that. or go from live to fresh killed. congrats with feeding also. That bee really is stunning.

1.0 Enchi butter
1.0 Enchi X Pastel
1.0 Fire het clown
1.0 Bumblebee
1.0 pinstripe

0.1 Enchi Fire
0.1 Pastel calico
0.1 Yellow belly Pinstripe
0.1 Lemon pastel poss het clown
0.1 Het clown
0.1 Yellow belly
0.1 Green Mojave
0.1 HC Albino
0.2 Normals

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  12:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks bob, it's good she's eating now we were a bit worried if she'd survive or not when she first arrived.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  08:41:39  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:

If you can sometimes buy live rats,how about breeding them?

BATS, yes hamsters can grow big, but i'm not sure if they will be available in the market or they can supply me with that size !
i think i'm going to have to raise them by myself, breeding them was a stupid idea since i lack info about this kind of animals (hamsters), when i bought a couple for breeding last month i end up with one headless hamster, the other ate his head (don't know why !!)

boomslang, there is no rats in the market !! never saw someone selling rats.

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  11:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, it was probably the female hamster who attacked the male - we had a pair of hamsters when we were kids and didn't realise we mustn't pair them till the time was right. In that case, if you've got the cages and space, you could try buying in young ones and growing them on? Useful link below - hope this helps.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110319123511AAUOCx4

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  08:56:30  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is very important info thank u BATS, i think this will help if i decide to breed them again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000