Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  11:53:16  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm worried about monty he's really cold to touch and still not eating spends all day everyday under his log. the temp is fine in viv and log warm but he's cold is this normal? He's not been this cold when touched him before

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
2.1.0cats clayton bob cleo

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  12:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a snake can feel cold to the human touch - our normal body temp is 98. something fahrenheit; the temp in the royal warm side should be 32c and in the cold side 26c and they usually stay in their cool hide, or at least mine do...and I'm just rubbish at converting temps lol. But you get the picture.

Maybe with this cooler weather your house is warmer and that's why he feels cooler? The hiding away may mean he's planning to shed, or just normal royal behaviour (it is with my lot unless they're hungry.)

Do hope he starts feeding for you soon, but at his age he may be doing the great fast.

Obviously I can't see him so I can't tell for sure but he sounds to be behaving pretty normally for a royal. Hope this helps a bit, and hope someone more experienced will be along soon. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  12:28:18  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks. have covered his viv with an old quilt set to warm it even more and will check again soon, will be trying to feed him again in couple of days will try your method of heating rat with the hairdryer in front of open viv hope noise doesn't scare him. the people i bought him off though told me not to worry if he's goes all winter without eating as he's done it to them a couple times. This being my first snake though i'm worrying alot about him. all websites etc said its best to get a royal as your first because they're easy to look after!

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  12:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fasting is part of the royal python things they do
If it's going to worry you a royal wouldn't suit
Royals are a lovely snake to have
But with them comes there fasting in the winter
I have 4 that ain't feed for about 3-6 weeks now and they were all hammering down the rats before the weather change

If I had to recommend a first snake to keep it would be a corn snake we have one here as well still eating

Just keep posting your progress and the lovely people here will help you :)

And most of all don't worry ;)

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  13:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The noise of the hairdryer won't frighten him as snakes don't 'hear' as such but sense vibration (I move mine out of the room if I have to use a power drill, for instance.) Saada and Shahi actually poke their heads out of their hides when the hairdryer starts, like Bisto kids ...only Shahi didn't take this time, typical royals, you can never predict lol.

Yes, as D3l says, seconded ...and royals CAN be a bit complicated as a first snake, though once you get used to them they're fine, and not as messy as stinky corns lol (love my corns but they're mucky madams!)

And mature girl corns fast in the spring and drive you mad with their roaming and nose rubbing on the viv doors and general shameless lovesick pleadings, bless them ...you end up feeling as if for two pins you'd go out and buy them a husband and let them sow their wild oats ...and then pray for a crop failure lol. At least royals curl up in their hides and keep their amorous feelings to themselves ...though there may be exceptions ...

But it's true they're far more regular feeders than royals - however, Monty sounds a gorgeous snake (adult royals are so imposing!)and absolutely normal for a royal - again as D3l says, don't worry and keep in touch. Any pics of Monty?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals shouldn't feel cold to the touch, they won't be as warm as we are but I've neevr felt Duke feeling cold (my corn always feels cold) unless he is out for a while. His ambient/cold side temp is between 24-26oC and this should be easily achieved in a viv unless you are in a unheated house with the windows open in the North Pole maybe

What are your temperatures in the vivarium?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my royals can feel cold to the touch.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most of my royals always feel cold to the touch, but then I suppose I am always uncomfortably hot in my house that might be why

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I have a warm blooded snake then?

I suppose cold is in the hand of the holder. Both Duke and Sanke are always nice and warm but Spot is the chilly one he is always cold, no wonder he has no feet, his toes would have fallen off by now.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - this could get interesting!

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cerb feels cold somtimes but he's almost always in his warm hide, I know royals are private but I never see him anymore :( unless I get him out even my new girl has given up and stays indoors most of the time, but unlike him she feels warm most of the time as well, it could very well be down to the size of the snake, or maybe I haven't really got a clue and am just waffling to sound inteligent lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 22/10/2011 16:30:43
Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  19:16:46  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks all! feel better his temps are 25.7 in cold and 29.9 in warm. he's in a 3ft viv that he came in. I think if he'd eat just once i'd be fine but not eaten since i got him even though he does seem interested to begin with, his first one he split not nice. got pictures on facebook if can figure out how to load onto here i will

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  20:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, his warm end temps really ought to be 32c but apart from that I reckon he's just acting like a normal adult royal at this time of year. Does he seem to favour his warm end or cool end? I know mine usually stay in their cool/middle hides and rarely go into the warm end, but personally I do like to keep the warm end at the recommended 32c, just in case, if you see what I mean.

Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  22:16:19  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
he's always in his warm end only seen him in his cold end once. bought new mats and thermostat as my dad's gonna build his viv into the alcove that his current viv is stored in at moment. the thermostat i've got with him is on full to 35 but never seen it that high

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  22:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah its likely he is always in the warm end and feeling cold because he is a bit. I'm not sure why a heat mat cant hit 32, they should be able to hit at least 35 without issue. I would recommend switching from a heat mat which aren't Royal friendly anyway and switching to a bulb heating system, either Infra Red or even better go for ceramic. I can't see how you are hitting such a high ambient temp with a heat mat though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as you have a bulb in there already.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  10:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oscar feels the same as whatever hide I get him out of. I love it when he comes out of his warm hide and he's so warm in my hands. When I get him out of his cool hide, he's cold in my hands. Actually that gave me a bit of a start the first time, but now I know it's normal. He seems to spend his time 50/50 between the two.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  14:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mines the same as lorraines warm to the touch if in the warm end an cooler in the other

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  16:19:55  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Yeah its likely he is always in the warm end and feeling cold because he is a bit. I'm not sure why a heat mat cant hit 32, they should be able to hit at least 35 without issue. I would recommend switching from a heat mat which aren't Royal friendly anyway and switching to a bulb heating system, either Infra Red or even better go for ceramic. I can't see how you are hitting such a high ambient temp with a heat mat though so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as you have a bulb in there already.

the heat mat is screwed into roof of viv it looks ceramic?? I bought the set up viv and snake together, i thought his heating system was fine until came on here, i am now planning on a light as heating source but won't he burn himself even with guards?

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  17:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a reptile radiator, they are supposed to be the best thing for bigger vivariums, not got any experience with them myself though so I cant say whether they are better than bulbs. I have a few different bulb setups and I'm in the process of testing a ceramic bulb setup before moving a snake into the new viv and that seems very good. The guards are there to stop contact burns as snakes dont feel that kind of heat and will burn, they will feel the gradual heating up of been too close to the bulb and in theory will move before they get a burn.

Go to Top of Page

scorpio
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  19:49:00  Show Profile  Click to see scorpio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how many lights or wattage would i need in 3ft by 2ft by 1ft viv? going higher so he can climb but don't want him to feel scared so will be putting in plenty of hides and plants would one 250w ceramic bulb do or should i put a lesser wattage bulb in cold side?

scorpio
1.0.0royal python monty
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  19:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
250 Watts is a lot, I am using 150 Watt Komodo ceramic bulbs in my 3 foot by 2 vivariums, though I've yet to test this with glass in the output is more than enough to maintain a hot spot of 32oC which should also keep the ambient up where it needs to be without any bother. Though 250 Watts will be fine to use, the stat will hold it back from full power so its not like it will turn the viv into an oven.

The bulb will create the hot spot on the ground directly below it but the air will also be heated inside the vivarium but not to the same extent of the hot spot.

Edited by - Lotabob on 24/10/2011 20:01:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000