Is this true ?!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  09:52:38  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've been doing some research about royals on the internet and i found something interesting, wanted to shared it with you:

Ball Pythons are constrictors, which puts them in the boid family, along with other pythons and boas. These snakes are also known as “Old World” snakes, because they still have vestigal hips. You can actually see the remnants of legs on either side of the vent, like below. These leg remnants are known as spurs, and ball python males use theirs to “tickle” the female into readiness during courtship. (Pictured is an adult female)

http://jenny.thegreenes.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/vestigal-hips-cindy.jpg

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  10:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Tawfik evolution is amazing and it's still going on besides the slow worm (which is actully a legless lizard) it's still going on today I was watching life in clod blood the other day and there are at least two other lizards that have almost completely lost legs

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  10:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you never seen your snakes spurs then Tawfik? Oscar's are quite noticeable. They say it's one way of sexing them as the males are usually bigger than the females, but its by no means an accurate way. If you've got nothing to compare with, who's to say what's big and what isn't?

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  11:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4519&SearchTerms=spurs

I knew I'd seen this somewhere ...now these are whoppers!

Yes, it's all quite true - I've never actually witnessed a male using his spurs to arouse the female but I've heard of that, in fact it's mentioned here, under 'courting' -
http://ballpython.ca/gallery/breeding.html

Yes, as Lorraine says, it's not a conclusive method of sexing royals, although it's true that my male, Shahi, has larger spurs than my two females.

Nature is wonderful!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  13:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke only has little ones lol, though I think that has more to do with how fat he is (or maybe he is a she, never been probed just popped). My Boa has almost no spur at all, more like dimples (female in Boa is more obvious than pythons)

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  14:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lorraine

Have you never seen your snakes spurs then Tawfik? Oscar's are quite noticeable. They say it's one way of sexing them as the males are usually bigger than the females, but its by no means an accurate way. If you've got nothing to compare with, who's to say what's big and what isn't?

Yeah take a real close look :) maybe your royal has tiny spurs you never noticed.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  09:00:32  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
actually i've been checking Blitz when i saw them, they are tiny and some times disappear, but i didn't know what are they and i didn't expect them to be legs !!!
here is a pic of Blitz spurs

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  09:01:24  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
u can barely see them !!

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  21:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see 'em. They are tiny aren't they?

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  22:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are very small or not prominent is a better way to describe it, you'll also notice Blitz's tail is quite long and thin, totally different to Duke's larger spurs and short fat tail. Would be interesting to see what sex Duke and Blitz are, I'd put money on one been male and one been female but which one is the question! I may have to dig the fat guy out of his viv and get a shot of his spurs and tail to show the difference.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  22:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK DONE

Dukes tail, its actually pointing at his spurs.

And Dukes spurs and yukky vent.

Duke was supposedly popped as male but I didn't see it happen so took it as enough to give a male name but not official.

Edited by - Lotabob on 28/10/2011 22:39:59
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  00:08:38  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mmm.. got your point, i see the difference between them both. i don't have any idea about Blitz sex, and here is no one who can help me with this, and since i don't plan breeding i don't care if he/she is male or female, i like the name Blitz so i'm calling him like that
Duke's spurs are much bigger than Blitz's spurs.

Go to Top of Page

Margwar
Yearling

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  15:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Serenity's spurs are massive compared to Margwars, and then Pirans are tiny litle things.
(Now I'm not sure exactly how true the following is)
Apparently they also can shed their spurs and underneath is the actual limb, what's on top is just like a hard substance, a bit like what human nails are made from.
(As I said, I may be wrong, but I saw a thread about it somewhere where a snake's spur had come off, but a small stumpy thing was clearly visible underneath and people said it was the actual vestigial limb)

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  19:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we were just to go by these pics and the difference in the tails, I'd put money on Blitz being a female Tawfik.

I was going to say the other day that it was possible he's a she, but didn't like to.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 29/10/2011 19:02:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000