New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leechaney
Hatchling

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  16:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just changed my heat mat for a ceramic infered lamp, and noticed the he is out of his warm hide a lot more than before.
He was feed Saturday just gone so I could rule out that unless he is hungry again, has anyone experienced this before, the warm side is 89c to 91.5c while cold side is around 84c to 87c which might not be cool enough for him any ideas anyone.

Lee Chaney

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  16:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, according to the temps recommended by the care sheet it might be a tiny bit too warm for him.

Is it an infra red or ceramic? I've never used ceramics so can't comment, but two snakes that I switched from mats to infra red have done this roaming thing; Shahi was very young and actually climbed all over his light guard; Saffron should have been used to a bulb guard as she'd had one in her other viv (bulb was only used for illumination while cleaning etc) but, with the heat source coming from behind the guard, it intrigued her no end.

They were both fine and settled down eventually. Snakes can be more active when you've changed their setup around a bit.

Also, with the heat coming from above, could he simply be enjoying a bask in it?

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be used to getting the heat from the mat,where as the bulb heat has to travel into the hide etc.

She/he should calm down after afew days,and what do you mean by around them temps?A bulb/ceramic should keep the temps really well.How are you measuring the temps?

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

leechaney
Hatchling

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  22:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BurnedAtTheStake you could be right as he spends a lot of time just basking and trying to climb all over the guard i have just took a notch down of off temp to around 88-89c, boomslang im using a 75w infered heat bulb in a ceramic holder, just realized what i put before as you can but ceramics bulbs lol.
No i ain't using any ceramics, what temps do you think is good as i was told 90c was spot on?

Lee Chaney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000