New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  21:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i rescued a beardy from a 'friend' who wasn't taking care of him, he over a yr and confirmed male and only weighing 115g......

he is my first beardy tho i do keep leos, we are giving him veg, hoppers, crickets, morio worms all daily

im a vet nurse so know nutrition on cats and dogs but not reptiles, believe it or not they dont tell us jack on reps but anyway

i know that if u feed too much too quickly u gain weight but not muscle and since he IS that underweight i need him to build muscle is there anything else i can be doing differently that could help the situation any help will be much appreciated
x

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  22:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we not long rescued a beardy, my other half is also a vet nurse. ours was in a bad way too. we gave her repto boost baths twice daily in warm water 40c. as a vet nurse u will be able to get critical care diet which we also syringed fed her (ours would not eat at all) but if yours is feeding you might not have to feed that. it might be worth getting a parisite test done on poo sample, ours had a couple which she was treated for. we only fed her every other day when she started eating as too high protein can cause kidney damage.

are you dusting the live food with calcium and nutrobol? have you got uv strip in viv and what are your hot and cold end temps.

its was a long time b4 ours started eating properly but now she eats all the time. from everything we read it can take a while for them to get better

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  22:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good fatty treat if it will eat them is wax worms, I buy a pot every now and again for my crestie and he loves them, they are like lizard crack lol.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000