New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my royal python around 11 weeks and ive been fine with him for 6-7 of them until he decides to have a chow on my finger and now im scared to pick him up ive feed him normally but i think its getting worse again, its becoming like the first time i tried to hold him.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hes 7 and a half months also and a great feeder.
and also what are the signs of shedding for a royal python, hes shed once before.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only thing you can do is get back on that horse as that old saying goes. The odd bite every now and again is inevitable when keeping reptiles but whats the worse it can do, you're still alive and well to tell your tale, you maybe got a few cool marks to show your friends, and its law that when you get tagged you have to take a photo of your injury and post it so we can all take the mickey, sorry I mean give you encouraging words.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shedding is easy, first sign is pink belly, next one is a snake that looks old and grey and blind, then it looks almost normal again then the next sign its skin comes off.

Go to Top of Page

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha i understand getting back on it honestly 6-7 weeks i used to handle him every 2 days without fail because of work and then after he bit me i just went oh oh and then it went downhill from there but i think he might be going into shed so what should i really do while hes shedding because he goes blind?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are a lot more jumpy when they shed, some either go very lethargic (My Royal does this) or they can get aggressive but as Royals are preety much the tamest snake on the planet its rare and they will normally let you know they want left alone long before they bite you by hissing.

Go to Top of Page

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah by hissing do you mean like a loud breathing noise because thats what it sounds like to me.
Go to Top of Page

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  00:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also ive just left the food in the tank outside his hide instead of interrupting him.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  01:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i44rsER8AYE

Closest I can find to the noise of a Royal hissing, very similar though I've only ever Duke do it a few times and its just one very loud blast of hiss.

I find it better feeding without any interruption.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  03:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As bob says above :) You will no if hes in shed soon,you might have scared him etc.

If its not that,it might be something else or you just freaked him out,You can also always wear gloves.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  08:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my normal has been a bit touchy lately aswell. all i do when she gives me the tell tales (s- shape and a hiss) is give her a minuet to calm down, then gently turn her head away with a chopstick (dont actually poke her in the head, just kinda guide her neck in the other direction) so shes looking in the other direction. then slowly stroke her body before gently lifting her out. no tags since iv been doing it this way and she is back to her old self once iv got her in my hands. might work for you to. also check everything in the setup is running as it should so you know without a doubt that you've just spooked her/him.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  09:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as someone who has recently been snake food on more than one occasion lol, I know exactly what you mean my latest addition decided on mroe than one occasion that she'd take a bite of the big hairless ape that had just picked her up, so I know exactly what your going through, but like bob has said you've got to get straight back on that horse cause as silly as it sounds we give off a certain smell when we're nervous which the snake will pick up on and make it nervous, so it becomes a self sustaining problem....

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  09:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
First time my first snake tagged me it took me 45 minutes to get the courage to put my hand in the viv the next handling session, but now over time i've taken dozens of tags and it doesn't bother me too much you do get used to it even if it seems like you won't at the start.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  11:05:39  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i better back off if i saw Blitz in S shape, but when i must, i came from his sides or from his back, he start to run away from me and that is when i catch him

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

lukegriffiths1993
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  15:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah i just need to get back in the rhythm of picking him back up he didnt eat the mouse so i think hes going into shed his skin is starting to go spotting around the bottom and hes in the hide alot so most be.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000