Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Madam's current setup is getting a bit small and cold so I'm planning on upping things to a proper setup in the near future.

I've got a bunch of old fish tanks lying around so I was thinking of taking one of appropriate size, putting wood on the inside of the glass (what wood, does it matter and would it be better to have the wood on the outside of the glass? [snake in contact with glass])

At the same time I've decided I want to go with an IR heat source so will need to get one of those and a dimming stat- are there any sites you could recommend?

Will also obviously need a substrate- been using kitchen towel up till now but if I'm going for a large scale set up I'll need an appropriate substrate- I've looked at the ones on the care sheet but still not sure, is there a particular one that most people use?

Other than that, have I got it all covered?

Cheers, Fram

0.0.3 Koi Carp

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though your putting wood on the inside, its still a wood covered fish tank, and may well suffer with high humidity issues.

I use aspen, its soft, easy to clean and royals seem to like it, but there is nothing wrong with kitchen towel.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/

You probably know this already, but always the cheapest for supplies. I like aspen too.

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  21:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fish tank and a terrarium are different,Like the exo terra ones.So like markmifsud said,you might get high humidity.

I only mention the terrariums,as the yanks use glass tanks for there royals which look just like fish tanks,rather then terrariums.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  09:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was going to move my bigger royal into a fish tank iv got knocking about but also heard about humidity issues so have decided to pounce on the oppertunity to get a BRB. i made the lid out of 'conti- board' which you can get from b and q for about 12 quid a sheet and they'll cut it instore for you. iv just drilled vents into the lid and attached the bulb fitting and light guard directly onto the lid on the inside.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  13:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies. If I start getting humidity issues I guess ill make some modifications but considering it will have a wooden lid with vents there shouldn't be much of a problem... Hopefully.

BATS are those prices for the stats (36 for a dimmer) competitive!? I thought they were more like 20? Thanks for the link, will definitely buy the aspen from there at least.

@J&A, sorry what's a BRB? It sounds like I'm after having a similar sort of setup to you... Thanks for the heads up on the conti-board, will pop down and grab some.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  14:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/microclimate-b1-dimmer-stat-600w.html

This is the cheapest one I can find offhand; it's a pound or so dearer from Blue Lizard - although, if you're crafty and order £50 worth from BL, bulbs, light fitting for example, you'll have no delivery charges. (A couple of spare bulbs is always a good idea anyway.)

You might find everything cheaper on ebay but I've never had the guts to tackle ebay.

Also secondhand is sometimes a good bet ...a while back on here, while I was building my viv stack, someone posted that a rep shop in Lancs was selling used Habistat dimmers for a fiver each ...I got straight on the phone and secured the last 3, which are still going strong. Might be a good idea to look on preloved/gumtree, you never know.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  14:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy seems to be selling the dimmer and mat stat for £45 for both???

Worth making an offer for the dimmer maybe?

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1034444212/e00132a1.html

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much bats! Extremely helpful

One final question, what wattage bulb should I get and how often do the bulbs blow? (do I want to be getting 3 at a time?)

And do they just fit into an ordinary bulb holder?

Cheers, fram

EDIT: Just realised I should go for 75 or 100 or 150 and then let the stat control it. LOL should I go for 100 then? :P

0.0.3 Koi Carp

Edited by - frambo on 02/11/2011 17:40:54
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frambo

Thanks very much bats! Extremely helpful

One final question, what wattage bulb should I get and how often do the bulbs blow? (do I want to be getting 3 at a time?)

And do they just fit into an ordinary bulb holder?

Cheers, fram

EDIT: Just realised I should go for 75 or 100 or 150 and then let the stat control it. LOL should I go for 100 then? :P

Red bulb don't forget,Not a normal spot bulb.How tall is this fish tank?How are you going to place the holder inside?

perhaps to make life easier get a dome holder,and make something up on top where you can just sit the dome.ie a cut out bit with mesh.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilelighting/lightfittings/5027407005297

This is what I use.

No decent bulb should blow in 6 months or much longer but there are exceptions and shops don't guarantee, unfortunately.

I use 100w in 3' although in summer 75w ought to do the job (all statted of course - stat ought to prolong life of bulb) but I'm a bit obsessive about keeping spares lol.

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, IR bulb not a normal red one or anything. Fish tank is roughly 14" tall if I remember correct, maybe a bit on the high side but she's quite active and always has her head up near the top of her faun.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  22:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
14 inches? so its like 3 foot long then? you might have to try afew bulbs,as it might super heat the whole tank hehe if its smaller then 3 ft long.

Is she very young?

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  06:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually thinking about it I've got a few- height varies but on some it is 14" and on some it is even more. Tanks are probably under 3 foot, more like 2.

She's about 5 months but like no RP I've heard of- does not conform at all. Fairly active snake, no feeding problems with me, extremely chilled out and inquisitive when being handled and I really think she'd prefer some more space.

At the same time I know she is still young and it will be quite a big space for her so I plan on having quite a few hides and lots of things for her to hide in.

Surely it doesn't matter what bulb I used as whether it's a 150, a 100, a 75 or even a 50, if 46 watts (for example) is what is required then that is what the stat will make any of those bulbs put out?

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  18:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frambo

Actually thinking about it I've got a few- height varies but on some it is 14" and on some it is even more. Tanks are probably under 3 foot, more like 2.

She's about 5 months but like no RP I've heard of- does not conform at all. Fairly active snake, no feeding problems with me, extremely chilled out and inquisitive when being handled and I really think she'd prefer some more space.

At the same time I know she is still young and it will be quite a big space for her so I plan on having quite a few hides and lots of things for her to hide in.

Surely it doesn't matter what bulb I used as whether it's a 150, a 100, a 75 or even a 50, if 46 watts (for example) is what is required then that is what the stat will make any of those bulbs put out?

It will be fine in a bigger viv,Alot of young snakes are more active at that age.The bulb does matter,if you put in an underpowered bulb.The stat won't be doing anything,Where as if its overpowered its a total waste,Then the stat will be working like crazy.PLus if you get cold/hot days.the bulb won't cut it at fullpower etc etc.

So harder to get temps right with the wrong bulb,plus it will be very inefficient.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  19:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good to know, I'll feel more happy seeing her in a more natural looking space anyway.

OK, well I've ordered everything from Surrey Pet Supplies- should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

I've ordered the following-

Item £
Bulb (100W) 5.92
Substrate 3.94
Bulb Guard 7.22

Total £54.18

Which makes me think that I have everything covered. One last thing, are there any real plants that can be used in vivs? There's something about artificial foliage that I don't like for some reason. I was considering some mind your own business around the water bath maybe?

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  19:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mind your own business???

Is that this stuff?

Latin name helxine. Sadly although marketed as a houseplant it needs outdoor conditions. In the house, even in a window, it goes all sick and straggly; outdoors it goes mad ...I don't know why they call it 'mindyourown business' because it never does. I love it! It's perfectly harmless to snakes but you'd need a few pots of the stuff so you could swap it about when it got sickly.

I think a houseplant that would survive for any length of time in a viv would be something that doesn't mind low light and arid conditions; dracaena and aspidistra come to mind but they're large and stiff, unfortunately.

Interesting though! Perhaps other people have suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  00:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for plants they will all die very fast in a wooden viv with no lighting for them.Plus being a snake viv the temp is a pain to.You would beable to get away with afew with one uvb light etc.But they would still die.

Plus him/her smashing them all up.really not worth it trust me lol
If it was a gtp or something then you could go wild.much more suitable for a planted viv all round.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  07:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame... I guess I'll have to stick to astro and reptivine. A cactus would probably work okay in there but I wouldn't want her getting poked lol. Thanks both of you for the advice and saving me the trouble.

@ Bats, yeah that's the stuff. I was suggesting it as I (just like you) have way to much of it growing around the pond and knowing the way it spreads was thinking of putting some in.

Hopefully the viv equipment should arrive today :)

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  13:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, yes, Boomslang you said it - they can't leave anything alone.

I have a very nice artificial syngonium that I installed as the centrepiece of Ziska's viv ...

However, Ziska had other ideas ...

...Syngonium recumbens!

All the best with the setup Frambo - one of my favourite things, getting new equipment and setting up!

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New stuff arrived this morning now it's just a question of getting the wood done and then in she goes! Watch this space! (or another thread I may make lol)

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000