getting the heat right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

luke24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  22:00:52  Show Profile  Click to see luke24's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my temps are suddenly going crazy for the past few weeks temps have been stable at 32 basking spot and 26 cool end using a infra red bulb on a dimming stat now all of a sudden temps are changing constantly hot side will go cold and cold side will go hot, i havent touched or moved the viv around in any way every things the same even probe have been double checked to make sure they are in the same place, any advice would be great as she has gone into blue tonight

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  22:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there a source of heat near the cool end? maybe its closer to a radiator thats now getting warm due to the colder nights?

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

luke24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:00:23  Show Profile  Click to see luke24's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nope its on opposite side of room well away from windows an radiator its baffling
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  10:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant understand how the cool end can be warmer than the heated end of the viv, without an external source of heat.

Anyone else have any ideas on this conundrum?

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  13:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sun's a lot lower at this time of year - is it shining on to the viv at the time the temps are being measured? The stat would lower the hot end temp and the ambient in the cool end would go right up.

Otherwise I'm baffled too.

Edited by - n/a on 04/11/2011 13:21:11
Go to Top of Page

luke24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:52:12  Show Profile  Click to see luke24's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nope its in a corner of the living room, only widow is onto back garden and that doesnt allow much light through, i changed the dimmer stat today and it still seems to be doing the same, im using a 75watt infra red bulb in a 2ft viv which should of been enough on the dimmer
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  18:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke24

nope its in a corner of the living room, only widow is onto back garden and that doesnt allow much light through, i changed the dimmer stat today and it still seems to be doing the same, im using a 75watt infra red bulb in a 2ft viv which should of been enough on the dimmer

It can happen,warm room not enough ventilation,heat sitting on the cool end.Placement of lamp/probes etc etc.

Take a pic of the viv give people a better idea.So its 2ft by what?I keep some backup bulbs for super hot weather.as the outside air will heat the cooler end..so you have a bulb heating the viv,and outside air heating the cool end,and no way to control cooling the cool end.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  18:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Change the batteries in the thermometers. I get dodgy readings and nothing has changed its almost cetainly a battery needed, even take the ones out and pop them back in to reset the thermometer

Go to Top of Page

luke24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  19:01:33  Show Profile  Click to see luke24's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
viv is the vivexotic cx24, stat probe is directly under the bulb held down by warm hide with thermometer (digital) as well as another thermometer in cool end, i thought ventilation so i jus diy'd a small fan to one of the vents as they do look small, will try the batteries and take a pic
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  23:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Change the batteries in the thermometers. I get dodgy readings and nothing has changed its almost cetainly a battery needed, even take the ones out and pop them back in to reset the thermometer

Yeah another good idea,Try different thermometers of differnet brands in the same tank,in the same spot.(ie could be a dead thermometer)

On another note i tested each brand of thermometers once.the results were kinda funny :P some thermometers are total crap.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 04/11/2011 23:23:22
Go to Top of Page

luke24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  13:17:52  Show Profile  Click to see luke24's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im using the yellow zoo med ones across all my reps so may end up changing the lot, temps have dropped slightly now since the fan has been in overnight holding at 25c cool and 30 hot spot but it is much colder in the house today
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  18:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke24

im using the yellow zoo med ones across all my reps so may end up changing the lot, temps have dropped slightly now since the fan has been in overnight holding at 25c cool and 30 hot spot but it is much colder in the house today

yeah sounds like just a hot day then.I use the exo terra ones,as they seem best for me etc.they seemed to kick out less heat another brand i tried.

1.0.0 Normal corn
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic