viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to make a viv for royal. what is the best size for a full grown one ?

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3' usually - 15"x15" or 18"x18" but some people favour 4' vivs or more.

It's a bit difficult really ...my adults normally scarcely move, but now my male, in the breeding season, despite climbing branches, is very active! Got him round my neck atm ...I have to act as his home gym

Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be good to have some where for him to climb. I know they like small space, so what would be a good full size viv for him ???

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as Bats has said 3ft x 15 x 15 ot 3ft x 18 x 18. Not really that much difference between the 2.

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  22:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok , thanks

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  23:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is Shahi's setup, a vivexotic lx36 bog standard viv, with which he's (usually!!) satisfied ...randy restless little git lol!

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  04:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
poor thing has to stretch all that way to get to his climbing branch?

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  08:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the same viv for my big female whos now been named ludmila an she happy enough in there. BATS i may steal your way of holding the light guard in place looks so much easier to change the bulb than the screws holding mine in place

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

speedy231278
Hatchling

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  09:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THAT is a bloody good idea!! It's nice and easy to screw the things down before you put the viv together, but a right pain to get at the back two screws if it's already made up. Currently sorting out Tubs a new home (he'll be the third occupant of this one, it was previously home to our first corn, then our second, and has been out of use for about a year or more as Patsy was too big for it when I got her) and I've failed to get the back two done so far. Still can't believe the guards cost £20 though, seems a huge amount of cash for a square foot of mesh... lol

2.1.0 royals
1.2.0 corns
0.0.3 motorcycles
0.1.0 she who must be obeyed... ;-)
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  10:32:17  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do you now what makes me laugh, the amount of people that put the backs of there vivs on wrong, so the vents can be pushed out by the snake xD
its funny, cuz its something i always look at when i build my vivs, and then when i look at peoples photos, they always seem to be the wrong way (or maybe thats the correct way, and im doing it all wrong xD)
but ye, i keep mine in lx36 vivexotic vivs, kinda wish i had gone for vx, as it has more height, more for the bulb, but the lx is good, and gives a nice hot spot for him

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

lee1982
Hatchling

79 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  12:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My young royal seems to move around his viv alot about every 4 days. i last feed him on Wednesday, do you think he is looking for food or just having a noses about ??

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  14:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol Boomslang, the viv is 15" high and he's 4' long. Stretch? Go figure!

Chris and Speedy, thanks - yes it's really really convenient - these little gismos are something like 25 for a fiver from B&Q and I use them everywhere ...Speedy here is a useful link -

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptilelighting/lightfittings/5028188067849

Blue Lizard do free delivery over £50 - I always stock up on bulbs and stuff and take advantage, but Surrey Pet Supplies are cheap as well for guards.

Danny, that is how the viv parts came to me; the back of the viv was pre-drilled and the vents fitted like that and believe me I checked to make sure they weren't pushable! Even if they were, the size Shahi is now, he could only get his gob through before giving up lol.

Hi Lee, he's probably just enjoying having a nosey round, like many young royals, sounds like he's doing fine and eating well, but best to stick to usual feeding day so as to give him time to digest. All the best with the viv.

Edited by - n/a on 06/11/2011 14:16:27
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  15:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new Viv for Duke is 520mm (20.5") deep, 890mm (35") wide, 390mm (15") high and its HUGE looking, I'm not even sure if Duke will like so much room but I designed my stack to have most of his viv behind a chair and ceramics to keep it dark so all in all a better option for him.

The prorep light guards are brilliant, they are expensive (£18.04) but use http://www.livefoodsonline.co.uk/shop/article_610/ProRep-Ceramic-Reptile-Heater-Guard-Black.html?shop_param=cid%3D44%26aid%3D610%26 and they are very good and quick and as an extra bonus they pack things using egg box so my roaches get free houses.

Bats, your vents are in the wrong way round , I don't think its an urgent job but I would switch them round next deep clean as snakes can push very well but aren't great at pulling (apart from your big female who has men climbing towers).

And finally good for you making one, I've had so much fun building my stack, its taken forever and a week but Duke should finally be moving in next week, the rest to follow as equipment is bought or stolen from the existing vivs. Still a few bits to buy but with a credit crunch and a 7% pay cut (Effing fabulous) it threw the brakes on my spending spree.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never had any trouble, not even with Shahi - and so why do Vivexotic assemble them that way? I did check before viv assembly, as all vents were in place, and the backs predrilled, which made it clear that that was the right way round to assemble the viv. I've just checked one viv and yes, the vents are pushed in from what is now the outside and COULD be ejected from the inside ...by a very strong snake, which would be a snake too large to get through the vent gap imo.

However I see what you mean, but it's confusing as to why a company like Vivexotic would insert vents the 'wrong' way round ...??

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole back is most likely on backwards too, the fittings and holes are the same on the left as they will be on the right and the bottom and top fittings will be uniform and mirrored from both sides too. So they are the right way up just the wrong way round. Its not an issue though, the vents should be quite well fixed into position.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  17:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm ...no. The back can't be on backwards if the drill holes were meant to be on the side that goes inwards.

I fitted the backs with the lettering on the vents the right way up, so ...

And the instruction leaflet doesn't tell you to turn the vents inside out ... the mind boggles ...my mind has definitely boggled ...

Never mind eh?

Go to Top of Page

chrisc

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  17:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the same viv bats got it second hand so already assembled and the vent were fitted the same as in your pic. i swapped them round as the fitting is quite loose on this one

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  18:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris, yes, it certainly sounds like either a design fault or omission in instructions. Irritating though when you've taken every care to get things, as you thought, exactly right. I often joke that I don't follow the instructions, but in this case I did (in common with loads of other people, I expect.)

However, future builders of vivexotic flatpack vivs will be, hopefully, forewarned...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000