New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  10:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just been and collected my royal. Set him up in his new home and he hasnt moved since! he was very snappy this morning as he has just shed and not fed for 2 weeks so a little hungry. i opted to simply pour him from the bag to avoid being bitten and he has wrapped himself round the newspaper and hanging on tight.

mouse defrosting so will see if he will eat some lunch later.

x

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  11:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your first royal!

Don't worry if he's shy or grumpy at first, or if he refuses a meal - he'll soon settle.

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  12:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just tried him with food as he was so snappy and stiking at everything that moved in the shop. but he has curled into a ball and refused it. do i offer him again later today or leave it until tomorrow? if i should try again today do i use the same mouse or a new one?
after being so still initially, he seemed quite happy looking all around his tank for ages then finally settled on top of his log hide. but as soon as i tried to feed him he curled up and hasnt moved since.

hm editing to say as soon as i say he is not moving the damn thing moves!!! he is a typical man and determined to prove me wrong!! lol (just hope he eats now after i have moaned that he wont)

Edited by - curiouslyfacinated on 24/11/2011 12:13:26
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  12:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd just leave the mouse in and just cover him over, give him dark and quiet to calm down. Its totally normal behaviour though to be a bit snappy when they are young it just means handling is a new thing, they soon realise you're not a threat and are not trying to eat them.

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  12:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok will try again later as i am off out for a bit. if he doesnt take it then i will leave it in and see if that works.

thank you x

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  13:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's all pretty normal - if he refuses today, bin that mouse and wait 5/7 days before trying again. It's stressful for us to wait but not for a snake; he won't starve and when feeding day comes round again he will have got his bearings and hopefully be ready for a meal. All the best with him; I think you'll see a big change in him by next week.

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  16:36:16  Show Profile  Click to see reptiledanny's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's new, its a big thing for a snake to move home to somewhere new that is totally different with new scents and everything. Some will feed the first day you get them, some won't eat for 7 weeks after you get them ( iv had both extremes)
I would leave him be for a week now, and wouldn't even offer again tonight really as him balling up means he's stressed by you disturbing him. Give him a week alone with you only spot cleaning and changing his water, and see if he eats the next time offered. Don't handle him until he has eaten at least twice is my rule. It may seem a long time, but its worth it. I had to wait 9 weeks to fully handle my girl when I first got her as she didn't eat for 7 weeks with me.
Good luck with your new royal and congrats. Enjoy the expirience every day

1.2 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  17:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

He's new, its a big thing for a snake to move home to somewhere new that is totally different with new scents and everything. Some will feed the first day you get them, some won't eat for 7 weeks after you get them ( iv had both extremes)
I would leave him be for a week now, and wouldn't even offer again tonight really as him balling up means he's stressed by you disturbing him. Give him a week alone with you only spot cleaning and changing his water, and see if he eats the next time offered. Don't handle him until he has eaten at least twice is my rule. It may seem a long time, but its worth it. I had to wait 9 weeks to fully handle my girl when I first got her as she didn't eat for 7 weeks with me.

thanks for the advice. i am a little concerned if i dont handle him he may be harder to handle later as he wont be used to it. is this not the case??

i am also wondering if he doesnt like the hide i got for him as it is a log. he seems to like sitting on the top but has not gone under it once. in the shop he has a thing that looked more like a cave if that makes sense. the log came with the setup so thats what i have used.

thanks x

Edited by - curiouslyfacinated on 24/11/2011 17:47:07
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  17:57:13  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by curiouslyfacinated

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

thanks for the advice. i am a little concerned if i dont handle him he may be harder to handle later as he wont be used to it. is this not the case??

i am also wondering if he doesnt like the hide i got for him as it is a log. he seems to like sitting on the top but has not gone under it once. in the shop he has a thing that looked more like a cave if that makes sense. the log came with the setup so thats what i have used.

thanks x

if he doesn't seem to be able to get under it, then would be worth getting some more things that can hide in... doesn't have to be expensive stuff, old cereal boxes, butter tubs with a hole in, plant pots, seed trays.... basically anything hollow with a way in! Not worth spending the money on nice caves etc til he's full grown .. then you can really go to town if you want! :D

he'll feel a lot more secure with proper hides to cosy up in.. royals are a bit lazy to try and get under a piece of log, and it would probably not hide them very well anyway, sometimes they like to be really cooped up!

Best of luck, and welcome to the crazy world of royals! :D You'll love it!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  18:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, a settling in - non handling period is always good - in fact I have a new boy who's waiting till after his third feed with me to be handled, and he's an adult who's had a few owners, as are my two girls.

Sometimes my royals are shy and retiring and don't come out much, same with the corns - I tend to handle when the snake asks and so there might be a while when the snake's not handled - but it doesn't stop them from being tame. Now I just handle when the time seems right. So don't let a settling in period worry you - it gives a new snake a breathing space and the quiet time reassures them I think.

About hides, I like the 'cave' type, especially for royals. But I see your lad's got cork bark and I'd say this is just about as good - he's probably being awkward as he could well lurk under that if he wanted lol!

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  18:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
swapped log which i dont think would hide him very well anyway for porridge oats box cut smaller for him see what happens. i dont want to keep changing things too much though. i would imagine he needs to settle and not have things change every 5 minutes really.

xx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  18:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Mystra - we overlapped!

Yeah, if he feels not sheltered enough by the bark (though my new boy loves his bark) then porridge oat box, even a kitchen roll inner which young royals do like to jam themselves into - good idea definitely to experiment and see what this particular guy likes.

Edited by - n/a on 24/11/2011 18:30:38
Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  18:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would appear he is a boy who likes his oats box!! been in there 5 minutes and he is inside it already. i appear to have made a rookie mistake however and left the bottom on the box so cant lift it off him!! will have to wait until he decides to vacate it before cutting the bottom off lol

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  20:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
went shopping today and bought a coconut hide and some fake plants for loki. he seems to like them and better than a cardboard box. i thought i would take a little peek at him but as i picked up the coconut he was so tightly wedged in there he came with the hide!!! not sure if that is a bit too tight a squeeze so given him his box back too so he can choose xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000