British snakes and lizards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  16:40:39  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, im wondering if it is legal to buy and own British snakes and lizards?

I know some are rare and the adder is venomous, but what about the more common varieties like the grass snake?

if so, is there anywhere that stocks them

and if your "in the know" what temperaments and special care needs do they require

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  18:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can't buy or sell wild caught grass snakes,and some types of lizards etc.

but you can buy any babies bred in captivity.theres only afew people who breed them,there best of left in the wild,as theres places and breeders you can buy them from.

or get something like a natrix tesselata as its the same thing really,plus there very cheap.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis

Edited by - boomslang on 01/12/2011 18:03:31
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  21:21:05  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah i think thats what i meant "CB" just a thought about giving our own species a bit of love lol

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  22:37:41  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've still never seen any of our native snakes and lizards :( it'd make my day.... i saw my first newt a couple years ago helping clear out a friends garden and you'd think i'd seen a woolly mammoth i was that excited! XD i might have to check out the Wetlands centre when the weather warms up in Spring and see what i meet there :D

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  22:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first snakey encounter was as a very young child in the 1950s with a neighbour's pet grass snake; I went on to see both common and great crested newts and something called 'sand lizards' in the 60s. My brother in law in North Wales regularly sees slow worms (although these are preyed upon by local cats, alas) and a few years ago I was told that a country park near me in Wakefield has a healthy population of adders.

These critters do seem to survive in pockets of wilderness, I'm glad to say but yes, captive bred will be better than wild-caught. Although when studying the requirements of natrix in general, I'd say a corn or royal's requirements would be more straightforward, but, if someone's prepared to give a native snake/lizard the environment it needs, it would be an incredible and rewarding reptile to keep.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  23:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE to own a European Adder, they are beautiful. Their bite is extremely painful (experienced) but I would take the risk to learn more about these magnificent creatures.. I'd love to see a slow worm too, interesting little lizards.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  23:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remembered - I found this vid a few days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX_dRl98J7A&feature=related

Edited by - n/a on 01/12/2011 23:45:26
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  11:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating vid Bats. Never seen anything like it before. Mind you, I don't think I've ever seen an adder in real life. Lovely looking things aren't they?

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aren't they just - I never realised how the colouration differs, and how different the males are from females. Just found another vid, which, though it's just stills, has some superb pics of UK snakes, and the slow worm too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=ohtvbUitKC0

Go to Top of Page

Keg
Yearling

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  13:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never seen any snakes or lizards in the wild here :(

1.0.0 Zak - Doberman
1.0.0 Cecil - Royal Python
1.0.0 Cyril - Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  13:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen anything either for years - do wish that adder place was nearer - I'd haunt it in summer lol. But you never know, keep on looking.

Just to complicate matters there are now, apparently, feral colonies of corn snakes in the UK, and at least one feral colony of aesculapian snakes in North Wales. Cool! (As long as they stay unmolested of course.)

Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  13:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

I haven't seen anything either for years - do wish that adder place was nearer - I'd haunt it in summer lol. But you never know, keep on looking.

Just to complicate matters there are now, apparently, feral colonies of corn snakes in the UK, and at least one feral colony of aesculapian snakes in North Wales. Cool! (As long as they stay unmolested of course.)

go look around allotments,you will see plenty there.isn't there a colony of king snakes or something on jersey to?

anyway theres only one guy i no of,that breeds uk snakes etc,take alook on blue lizard,they sell dice snakes etc from time to time.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  15:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked a couple of allotments for nearly 4 years at all times of day and night and never met any snakes, only the homo-sapiens-in-the-grass variety, to be avoided if possible - I would have much preferred adders...

Edited by - n/a on 02/12/2011 15:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  15:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another nice vid Bats. I enjoyed looking at those.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  16:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pleasure - glad you liked - and thanks Bigdon for starting this thread as I've never thought to study these snakes (and slow worms) so closely before; even though I learned about them in a rural 1950s primary school and read about them then, I've always been more focused on the kind of snakes more available in the pet trade.

Adders are awesome! (And so are the rest of these uk reps of course.)

Go to Top of Page

Lionscar
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im clearly lucky to have seen all our native reptiles and amphibians, we have a garden full of newts, toads, frogs and more slow worms than you could count, there are a lot of adders and grass snakes in Torbay especially in our zoo and adders galore at Berry head nature reserve in Brixham, I spent a lot of my child hood hunting adders ( to photograph ) around the coastline and mustve caught hundreds but I havent seen either an adder or a grass snake for at least 6 years which is odd. Used to see at least 2 or 3 of each every year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000