New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nat8908
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  16:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soooo..... I have a Royal Python, he is lovely. So much better then my old corn I had, with regards to personality.
I use aspen in his viv and remove him to a seperate place for feeding to avaoid him taking any aspen down.
I have heard that people have different oppions on what to use, I'm just curious to know what you guys think about this?
I have heard someone saying that coconut bark is best, is this true?
I have had no problems with the aspen.

Thanks

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  16:54:06  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aspen is fine, all down to personal choice really, as long as it's suitable!

I use Megazorb, which is fab and very cheap :) looks a bit like sandy gritty gravel on first look so looks pretty natural. (it's not gravel or sand at all it's a wood pulp thing that's a by-product of making paper = http://www.farmway.co.uk/equine-2/tack-room-stable-24/stable-equipment-40/northern-driers-megazorb-animal-1789.htm?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=1789&utm_campaign=froogle). I like it as it's cheap, looks nice and although it gets everywhere like aspen it's not as spikey!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  16:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like aspen for its appearance and absorbence; it's also reasonably priced in a large bale. I HAATE it when it gets in my socks! It gets everywhere!!

But I keep the two smaller corns on kitchen roll now, as it's nearly impossible to find their little budgie droppings in aspen.

Even cheaper than aspen are Megazorb and Aubiose, which look quite similar. You have to buy mezazorb on ebay; aubiose can be found in many equestrian supply places.

Other people like orchid bark and coco fibre and beech chippings; yet others like newspaper or plain paper - Hodgie on here uses wallpaper lining paper from B&Q.

I don't think there's any such thing as a 'best' substrate; it's all down to personal taste. Like you I favour aspen - apart from crunchy socks ...arrgh!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  16:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah we overlapped, Mystra!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  17:59:47  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Ah we overlapped, Mystra!

aha but i was thinking about your "crunchy socks" too BATS!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL - and they're still as crunchy - AND there's upstairs and downstairs hot and cold running cat litter ...and you say the megazorb is just as bad?

What we put up with for animals eh?

Go to Top of Page

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Aspen now, used kitchen paper before. Only been usin aspen for a day but it definitely looks much nicer... that's for sure. From what I've seen it's personal preference though... some do have their advantages for certain things such as kitchen towel for mites.

0.0.3 Koi Carp
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:56:35  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL - and they're still as crunchy - AND there's upstairs and downstairs hot and cold running cat litter ...and you say the megazorb is just as bad?

well i'm as bad at getting Megazorb EVERYWHERE! it does hoover up easier tho as it doesn't weave itself into the carpet so much and the bits aren't so fine... so easier to clean up!

i tend to put up with most things from these naughty animals - see the poo behind the printer episode for proof!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Think you're just messy.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
957 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  19:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always use aspen and as Bats say's it does travel well - lol but it is a good substrate to use

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  19:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

quote:

Think you're just messy.

10 out of 10 for observation.

And a red star.

Go to Top of Page

GMac
Grumpy scots admin

United Kingdom
1152 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  20:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aubiose for me, cheap and readily available

Royals, Corns, Boa, Kings, Hoggy, Ratsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  20:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use and like Aspen too. I do worry about Oscar ingesting it though but he's a viv feeder, so I put a sheet of paper towel down at feeding time and hover his roddy over that and it works a treat. In fact, when he sees the paper towel appear, he knows it's feeding time and almost jumps on to it, lol.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  10:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Megazorb for my furries, I used orchid bark for Tig and I now use aspen for the roaches (I know, I know. But they love to dig in it and I like it'cause it keeps everything right for them). My mam uses aspen for her Corn too.
I liked to use the bark for Tig 'cause it looked natural and its not very good at traveling! ...and I liked the smell : )
But I can imagine that the aspen is softer to lie on.

It just depends really, as others have said. There's lots out there to try.

Oh, and BATS. You don't need to get Megazorb off ebay. I get mine off Amazon from Farmway. You can find it lots of places. I think ECF do it too.

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  11:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, Blue, that's useful to know.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  16:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just ordered a HUGE sack of orchid bark, I have a lot of vivariums to fill and its the cheaper option to bulk buy. I just think its the best all rounder. I dry it out before use which I suppose is the only draw back of not buying something already dry but it smells lovely, looks great, gives them something to dig in and I've never seen it go mouldy when wet (beech chip does very quickly) its not dusty which is a bonus, I hate dust and doesn't stick to socks so doesn't end up all over the house.

You'd be very unlikley to spot mites in it but there are other ways to know you have mites better than checking substrate. So thats my substrate of choice, mainly for appearance but also for its all round performance.

Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Hatchling

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  16:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aspen all the way for my lot

Go to Top of Page

nat8908
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  11:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info guys, Aspen seems to be the all round fave. I have just bought a bag of 'Kritters Crumble-course' that seems to be good and looks good. only prob is you need a lot of it in there. It come damp, so is good for keeping the humidity up but it also dries out pretty quick too if you need to go the other way.
Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  11:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Nat, I just started using KC a few days ago, and already humidity dropped to 36%, I think maybe i'll have to mist it :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python