New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke shed last night, I say shed, I peered into the vivarium and there was tiny bits of skin all over the floor, up in the plants, in the water bowl. I picked Duke out and he looked like one of those novelty exploding cigars, he was in tatters. The skin was dry as a bone so it was a 10 minute wet pillowcase session and put back in his now VERY well sprayed vivarium. Checked tonight, mission complete, Duke is old skin free and apart from a few bits of minor scale damage from rubbing (is my best guess) he is fine.

I am guessing a combination of the new ceramic heating and the central heating has overridden the damp face cloth and daily sprays of the foliage. Lesson learn't and will make changes next time, maybe order him a hot tub or a sauna.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  20:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhhh dear ...a shred was it?

There's a lot of it about and you're not alone ... Laws posted a thread about the prevalence of 'shreds' recently and I've had 2 cases myself and I've only had the central heating on once this year (hard woman lol.)

I'm now keeping the royals' water bowls permanently in their warm ends, just in case, and have some shed ease on order, again just in case.

Poor old Duke, but I reckon he'll be feeling a lot better now.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  21:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye he is fine, was a bit huffy about been picked up but was happy for me to stick him in the pillowcase and hold him to let him wriggle a bit and even seemed to enjoy a quick massage with wet hands lol. I didn't attempt to remove any of the skin though, just put him back and left him to it.

Go to Top of Page

scott da bot
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  16:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drilled out the little bobbly bits on the front and rear top right corners 5 or 6mm drill bit.
If when your set up is complete and there's to much moisture in there drill a few more holes in the sides

0.2 Normal, Betsy + Delilah
1.0 Pastel (AJ)
Go to Top of Page

scott da bot
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  16:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott da bot

I drilled out the little bobbly bits on the front and rear top right corners 5 or 6mm drill bit.
If when your set up is complete and there's to much moisture in there drill a few more holes in the sides

DOH

Posted on wrong topic sorry

0.2 Normal, Betsy + Delilah
1.0 Pastel (AJ)
Go to Top of Page

serpentseye
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  13:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine always ends up like that bless him no matter what I do - and his eyecaps never come off first time, has to have several baths and be stuck in a 'humidity box' before I can get it all off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000