Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RI's normally appear in the form of coughing, wheeazing, mucus around the nose...

a quick question...only scanned this thread so sorry if this has been asked...does he have a piece of bark/a rock or something that he can slide over to help him shed...?

also do you have a thermostat controlling the temp...?

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you might expect him to shed every 4-6 weeks, shedding in bits is common but the moss hide should make it better, also the broken sheds may indicate a low humidity but you cant know that untill you get the hydrometer and you've got the moss hide so i wouldn't worry about that too much. As for too high humidity if it is between 50-60% it should be fine- but it shouldnt go any higher apart from when shedding when a slight increase is acceptable but not absoloutly nessasary if you have a moss hide. The symptoms of respiratory infections can be mucus and syliva around the mouth and deep rasping breathing, coughing and wheezing. But don't worry about that unless the humidity is too high when you get the hydrometer or he's got these symptoms.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 00:40:58
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
royal shed as much as they grow...if you a royal that is not eating then it wont grow so it wont need to shed as much...think mine sheds about every 6 weeks ish...both my girls have only shed once this year...royals can go months without eating so dont worry about that side of it to much...

google respiratory infections for R.I's information

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

RI's normally appear in the form of coughing, wheeazing, mucus around the nose...ok, no sign of that

a quick question...only scanned this thread so sorry if this has been asked...does he have a piece of bark/a rock or something that he can slide over to help him shed...? yes he has got 2 bits of bark, plus his hide is quite rough and he rubs on that (i dont know if anyone has even seen it in the shops, it was actually called a "snak shak" but i misread it..... LOL o well he seems to like it

also do you have a thermostat controlling the temp...? eep no! but i will remedy that now and get on ebay.... break into the overdraft time

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Habistat matstat is a good thermostat for a heatmat and it's only around £20- it is VERY important that all heat souces are regulated!

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 00:50:10
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you heat your viv...

there is a sticky about types of stat in the general keeping section...

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i heat the viv with a heat mat under the viv, it covers about 1/3 of the base of it. the viv isnt a wooden base, it is glass, with plastic raising it about approx 3mm awy from the mat, which doesnt come into direct contact with the glass.
he's also in the warmest room of the house.
oh gawd apart from the fact that i dont have a thermostat, that's going to be wrong too isnt it.....
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddm10

The Habistat matstat is a good thermostat for a heatmat and it's only around £20- it is VERY important that all heat souces are regulated!

found one on ebay, £28.50, is this overpriced or about right? it seems to be the only one of that name on there
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds good, do you know what wattage the mat is or size? i reckon the matstat will be good for it though. there are some gruesome pics showing just what happens when the mat isn't controlled by a stat so it is essential.

i got mine for £21 i think hold on i'll see...
http://reptilekeeping.net/habistat-thermostat-p-368.html
the delivery stings you but it might work out cheaper

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 01:10:23
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a 30watt mat, 572mmx274mm in size
should i remove it til i get the thermostat? if yes, what shall i use for heat meanwhile? judging by the last post i have probably been lucky not to have fried him on top of everything else, so dont want to make the chances of that happening worse....
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as there is some substrate at least around 1cm thick over the mat and the mat isn't in direct contact with the glass he shoud be fine, he's been ok this long so another couple of days should be ok.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 01:14:38
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes the substrate is at least 1cm thick, if not slightly more than that, and his moss hide isnt on it either, which is where he is spending most of his time atm anyway...
have just found a second hand habistat matstat on a reptile classifieds website for £10, have emailed the chap about it *crosses fingers*

Edited by - MissCat on 08/03/2009 01:19:25
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you know what the temps are in the tank? or how warm the room is?
- btw great bargain hunting

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 01:21:21
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

do you know what the temps are in the tank? or how warm the room is?
i can only guess really as the thermometer i have is one of those strip ones and it says beween 32-38*c at the warmer end, i would move it but it's attatched to the side of the viv and when i tried to move the last tried one it trashed it, so can only guess at the cooler end.. have bought another, better one off ebay earlier though. the rooms central heating is currently set at 28*c i think

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds a little warm but nothing to scream about now. once you get the thermometer then you can get a better reading and tweak it were nessasary. the strip ones are rubbish it is just reading the temp of the glass which is conducting the heat from the heat mat. what one did you buy?

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the exo terra disk thermometer and an exo terra disk hygrometer... o hope they are alright, those are the ones i use for my tarantulas and used for my beardies.... :s
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i got mine for £21 i think hold on i'll see...
http://reptilekeeping.net/habistat-thermostat-p-368.html
the delivery stings you but it might work out cheaper

i just looked and registered and followed right through to the payment point and it's saying the p&p is free, so if the second hand one doesnt get back to me later on today (this did read"tomorrow" then i saw the time...) i will buy this one instead. thanks

Edited by - MissCat on 08/03/2009 01:41:14
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are good enough it would be worth putting it on the substrate above the mat rather than on the glass though and it might be worth having two-one on the warm and one on the cool side, but you dont need to buy everything at once, just the essentials.
quote:
just looked and registered and followed right through to the payment point and it's saying the p&p is free, so if the second hand one doesnt get back to me later on today (this did read"tomorrow" then i saw the time...) i will buy this one instead. thanks

no probs.... but i'm sure he charged me something like £4 delivery ...you jammy....

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 01:46:42
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i could be wrong,(hardly known for being right on this site am i? lol) i didnt actually go through with the payment, just got through the registration, confirm delivery details, choose payment type and delivery (royal mail was the only option available for delivery) te next stage said it was something like £21.?? and the p&p was £0.00...so hopefully it's free :s
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  01:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like it!
just looking around and it seems that we are the only two on the forum and i am by far no expert, i've only had my royal 2 weeks!!! and he is my first snake, he hasn't even shedded with me yet so all my 'expertise' is stolen from caresheets and other experts and a few books what i'm trying to say is that i'm trying to be helpful but make sure that you check and triple check everything that i say with the real experts on here, and trust me there are some real proffesionals on here that can help both of us! no matter how well you plan there will always be things that you dont expect that you have to battle through, but when you get to the other end the knowlege you've gained is invaluable.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 02:01:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000