Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:12:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cat, I will vouch for Julia, she is truely a legend in the snakey world and I would trust all my snakes with her if needed.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:13:39  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
PS. She's also a mod on RFUK, so everyone be nice

Go to Top of Page

wohic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

haha but I am a mere mortal here Thank you for the compliment though I do try my best
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:30:27  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

lol. You sound like one of my old teachers saying that B.E. So that's no refering to RFUK as the dark side then.......DOH!

Nice to have you on board Julia

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wohic

4. Not feed him til he sheds.I am wondering if the eyes could actually be retained shed (several layres of eye caps left from previous bad sheds

how do i tell if this in fact the case?
im not sure about you taking him for a few weeks tbh, but it would be good.
im confused. i just want the best for him, i dont know. i want to keep him, to get him well again and up the the beauty i know he can be, but obviously i have so far not been capable of doing this, so perhaps it would be better for him to go to someone else either temporarily or permanently? gah i dont know. what i want vs what is best. sounds selfish huh? :(
I'm in Bridgwater if that helps.

Edited by - MissCat on 07/03/2009 23:46:26
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you take all of the advice and do all the things you've listed then he will definately get better and up to full health, it may take a little time but you'll be surprised how much better he looks when he sheds. don't get confused-put all of the info you got before today to the back of your mind, just focus on the advice here and the caresheet here take the steps above and you can't fail. keep asking questions and stay calm.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 07/03/2009 23:42:24
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will do, thanx, and sorry
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you dont need to apoligise, your doing the right thing

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 07/03/2009 23:43:29
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:43:21  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe, and this is just a thought, let someone like julia take care of him in the short term to get him back up to health, then once he is healthy they could bring him back and help with starting you off on a better footing for the longterm. I hope this help's and is not offending in any way, scott.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not offending at all, it's true, i blatently dont have the knowledge or experience to help Ra, so thanx
Go to Top of Page

wohic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

quote:

4. Not feed him til he sheds.I am wondering if the eyes could actually be retained shed (several layres of eye caps left from previous bad sheds

how do i tell if this in fact the case?
im not sure about you taking him for a few weeks tbh, but it would be good.
im confused. i just want the best for him, i dont know. i want to keep him, to get him well again and up the the beauty i know he can be, but obviously i have so far not been capable of doing this, so perhaps it would be better for him to go to someone else either temporarily or permanently? gah i dont know. what i want vs what is best. sounds selfish huh? :(

you are not selfish please dont think that, the offer is there if you feel you need it, i take lots of snakes for people, usually non feeders, and then they go home when they are well enough to. :)

as for the retained shed if you look closely then the edges around the eyes would or should look tatty in places as though the eye caps are not attached .... it could be quite hard to notice if the snake has patches of shed on him though.
Go to Top of Page

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:48:38  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no problems, we are a helpful bunch on here, some with knowledge but all with support.
Scott.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by MissCat

as for the retained shed if you look closely then the edges around the eyes would or should look tatty in places as though the eye caps are not attached .... it could be quite hard to notice if the snake has patches of shed on him though.

i dont think there is, i did look when i bathed him, but obviously due to my lack of experience i don't know 100% what i am supposed to be looking for. hmmm maybe it WOULD be best if i asked Julia to take him for a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:51:09  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Keep the questions coming. There's normally somebody on here pretty much 24/7. Just picture the day when he finally fits inside that skin of his and you can think to yourself "I did that. I nursed him back!" Stay positive. It sounds like you're going through the AARRRGGGHH! WTF am I doing phase. We've all been there at different times. I know these guys helped me out when I went through it. Nobody is going to judge you on here. We want to help you get Ra back on his feet (if he had some ). You can do it .

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well im going to go in now and have a closer look at his eyes, if i cant see anything there that looks like retained eye caps, how long should this milky stage last before thay clear up?
if they are retained eye caps, then what do i do.
about the extent of my knowledge is that he will lose his eyes if i dont do something about it if it is the eye caps....
Go to Top of Page

wohic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

well im going to go in now and have a closer look at his eyes, if i cant see anything there that looks like retained eye caps, how long should this milky stage last before thay clear up?
if they are retained eye caps, then what do i do.
about the extent of my knowledge is that he will lose his eyes if i dont do something about it if it is the eye caps....

the shed ease may well help soften them enough that he will be able to rub them off, i hsve a 'bag' made from a towel that i dampen , sprat the snake with shed ease , pop the snake in , back in viv (not on heat mat though) and leave over night ... this has helped in some quite severe cases.

You are getting some great advice and support here and I am sure you can put this snake right, we will be here for you every step of the way :)
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when was the last time he shed? my guess is that his eye caps didn't detatch from his last shed, but i dont understand why the reptile man didn't spot it. if there are retained eye caps then it might be best for Julia to help you and show you what to do. if the shed aid softens them you could try removing them gently with a cotton bud.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 08/03/2009 00:28:20
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has not had a full shed since i have had him (since september)!!! :( :( :(
he has been shedding in peices, but as i said, i was told that this was a common problem and that he would go in his water bowl himself and it would sort itself out, well he was going into his water bowl but it never "sorted itself out" hence why i went to talk to someone and put the moss hide in there.
o deary.
how often are they supposed to shed?
i will get some shed ease on tuesday to see if it helps,
also, i have just read that if they are kept too humid they can get respiratory diseases, can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what symptoms are etc?
o god this is awful, with each post i am highlighting my ignorance even more! :(

Edited by - MissCat on 08/03/2009 00:29:38
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its the shed that is making him look bad...once you have that sorted you will see a big improvement.

like above take a couple of deep breaths step back and think about tackling one thing at a time. dont panic you have got some great people on here giving some top quality advice...

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  00:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay... *takes deep breath*
how often are royals supposed to shed?
does the time of year,temp they are kept at, or amount they are fed have an impact on how often or when they shed?
and i need to know more about respiratory diseases too ....:(
oh, and i REALLY do appreciate all you are doing
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000