Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my room humidity is the 40s so i have to make sure that it stays a little higher in viv. The overhead heater sucks out all the humity out of the viv and it was down to 30 and if he were to try and shed at that level he sure would have had problems. So thats why i said about humidity just to make sure its not way too low but as Blackecho says too much is dangerous. (around 50-60% is fine) It may be too low especially if you have a overhead heater such as the reptile radiator which is what i have, it completely dries up the viv! the best think would be to get a hydrometer just to check, they're only a few quid

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 07/03/2009 21:19:17
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:19:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi misscat,im am the person who emailed you earlier and would just like to say that in no way was i insulting,putting you down or having a go,i even started the email with"hi,dont take this the wrong way".I did not blame you,i even said it was probaly bad advise you had recieved.I was only trying to offer a solution to your ill snake as you were trying to get rid of it.I was only looking out for the health of the snake as you argeed in your reply.
Anyway i can see now that you have tried to sort this out rather than just passing it on and you have came to the right place for advise which i would of told you about if i knew you were after advice rather than selling it.After all that i personly would like to welcome you to the forum.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea i know, i take things to heart far too easy, but i was more annoyed with myself than you. sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:22:58  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just thinking that moving him to another enclosure again may stress him out more. This is my Royal's 3ft viv.

If you clutter it up a bit more than mine with more hidey holes he may chill out a bit. The "log" at the back is a cork bark tube from the bark box at my local rep store. If you can lower the ceiling of the viv by hanging something like the fake ivy in the pic that should help him feel less exposed too.

As the others have already said, any questions just ask. There is no such thing as a silly question on this forum. Personally I have leant more about keeping a royal from the people on here than anything I found out in books/caresheets. Stick with it, you CAN do this.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:30:09  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

Gingerpony, what size is your royal, mine is approx 50cm

he's probably around 2ft now, i need to get him out and weighed and measured too.
another thing that might help with his hydration and feeding response is adding ReptoBoost to his water, or as it sounds like you have kids is there any Lucozade around? dilute it in the water bowl to rehydrate him through his skin as well as by drinking.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

Gingerpony, what size is your royal, mine is approx 50cm

he's probably around 2ft now, i need to get him out and weighed and measured too.
another thing that might help with his hydration and feeding response is adding ReptoBoost to his water, or as it sounds like you have kids is there any Lucozade around? dilute it in the water bowl to rehydrate him through his skin as well as by drinking.

would lucozade harm him though? Ill look into the ReptoBoost now, thanks
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:35:55  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
PW quite rightly said another move might stress him out again. if he's taking a pinky could you try offering him something bigger instead of a second pinky? a rat pup would be good for weight gain (more %age fat), or alternatively a small mouse (more calcium)
you can pick up cheap dial hygrometers for a few quid, they're not fantastic but good enough to alert you to any drastic changes in humidity.

can you post any pics of your set up so we might be able to suggest any improvements?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:38:20  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd dilute 1 part Lucozade to 3 parts water, it's a quick fix rather than an ideal solution. Reptoboost dilutes in water, contains electrolytes, vitamins and probiotics to help him make the most of his food

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just bought a hygrometer on ebay for £3.50, i will go out and get a rat pup tomorrow and see how that works out, should i try him with it if he seems to be preparing for a shed though (re:the milky eyes)
i will have to take a pic of the viv setup tomorrow and put it up then, it's too dark atm. only have a phone camera so it doesnt come out right :s
the problem with moving him into a smaller viv is that blatently his current one is too big, everyone has said that and they are right, though as i have said, he is feeding in it, and exploring in it and the stress of moving him (as others have said) may stress him out more, so im a bit stuck on that quandry.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

i'd dilute 1 part Lucozade to 3 parts water, it's a quick fix rather than an ideal solution. Reptoboost dilutes in water, contains electrolytes, vitamins and probiotics to help him make the most of his food

it's a powder, right? just found it online, it's a bit expensive though, will have to get it when i get paid on tuesday, meanwhile i will try the lucozade option tomorrow, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he's feeding and happy then the size is fine- as long as there are lots of hiding places like paulusworm's great set-up he will feel secure, just think that Africa is pretty big aswell!

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 07/03/2009 21:46:37
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:50:24  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why not move him over,leave him for a week to settle down and get through his shed then offer him food,a rat weaner would be fine for a normal size royal but may be a bit much as hes not used to it,why not try the next size up from what he's eating now for a few feeds then move up again.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got a thermometer too, and im about to look for some stuff to crowd his viv up with a bit.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Why not move him over,leave him for a week to settle down and get through his shed then offer him food,a rat weaner would be fine for a normal size royal but may be a bit much as hes not used to it,why not try the next size up from what he's eating now for a few feeds then move up again.

would it be better to let him shed first THEN try to move him? if i moved him would the stress mess his shed up, or would it not affect in in that way?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:54:19  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cheapest option is get fake plants from a garden centre, you can pay a fortune for reptile branded stuff! if you're popping to a shop for some Reptoboost it might be worth getting some ShedAid too to try and get him back to normal-looking asap. he can't be particularly comfy with stuck shed on and it's another royal excuse for not eating properly

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  21:56:11  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't move or feed him when his eyes are blue pre-shed, then their eyes clear again before they shed about a week later but their vision is still reduced during this time

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  22:01:37  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thinking about it gp's right,the size of the viv would'nt matter if he cant see,let him get through his shed first

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Righty-oh, so just to recap and make sure i have this right:
1. keep the moss hide in there.
2.pop some lucozade into his water tomorrow (1:3)...or not. uhm some say yay, some say nay :s
3.get some reptoboost on tuesday and some ShedAid too.
4. Not feed him til he sheds.
5. His eyes will clear up about a week before he sheds.
6. install hygrometer and thermometer, (correct humidity:50-60% (should this be higher during the shed?) and correct temp 32*c at warm end- what about cooler end?)
7.When he sheds, (how soon after he sheds should i feed him?) feed him one pinkie and follow it with a rat pup.
8.Assuming he takes the rat pup, how often should he be fed?
9.take pics of viv set up and post them.
10. after he has shed,get more stuff to fill out the viv OR move him to either A) box as shown on previous page OR B) 3ft beech, glass fronted viv well packed out with stuff.
oh, and not feed him for about a week after the move.
also i wont handle him til he's better unless absolutely neccesary e.g if i need to bathe him or check he's fully shed etc
and 11. install thermostat!!!
do i have all that right?
is there anything, ABSOLUTELY anything else that i have missed or can do to help him?
is there a chance that he will come back from this or do you think he is beyond all help? :(

Edited by - MissCat on 08/03/2009 01:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  22:53:17  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have my hot end's 30-32C and cool ends 22-25C.

I don't increase my humidity when in shed as they use the moss hides to get extra humidity, but some people do.

I see you have just bought a thermometer, is your heat source controlled by a thermostat?

If there aren't any underlying health issues they are very resilient.

Go to Top of Page

wohic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  23:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cat.......
you have been given some good advice, and well done you for wanting to do the best for your snake.

1. keep the moss hide in there. I agree
2.pop some lucozade into his water tomorrow (1:3)Personally I would wait and use reptoboost or avipro
3.get some reptoboost on tuesday and some ShedAid too.agreed
4. Not feed him til he sheds.I am wondering if the eyes could actually be retained shed (several layres of eye caps left from previous bad sheds
5. His eyes will clear up about a week before he sheds.indeed they will
6. install hygrometer and thermometer, (correct humidity:50-60% (should this be higher during the shed?) and correct temp 32*c at warm end- what about cooler end?)26 is ok at cool end
7.When he sheds, (how soon after he sheds should i feed him?) feed him one pinkie and follow it with a rat pup.you can try him the same day he sheds if he seems to be out looking for food, otherwise wait until the next day
8.Assuming he takes the rat pup, how often should he be fed?its always quite a slow process with royals as they have a slow metabolism, you need to build him up slowley with regular meals, i would suggest stick with every 7 days
9.take pics of viv set up and post them.
10. after he has shed,get more stuff to fill out the viv OR move him to either A) box as shown on previous page OR B) 3ft beech, glass fronted viv well packed out with stuff.
oh, and not feed him for about a week after the move.
also i wont handle him til he's better unless absolutely neccesary e.g if i need to bathe him or check he's fully shed etc
do i have all that right?
is there anything, ABSOLUTELY anything else that i have missed or can do to help him?
is there a chance that he will come back from this or do you think he is beyond all help? :(

I have answered a bit for you above, people will know me from another forum and can vouch for me not being a internet loon, so i will now say this, If you would like me to care for the royal for a few weeks just to get him back to health then i am more than happy to give him a go, I am in yeovil in somerset so not too desperately far from you.

julia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000