New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nat8908
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right.. ok.. soo my royal is about 3 yo. he is now 3.1ft and 13.9cm at widest part.
I have had him for about 2 months and he is starting to go pink on his under belly AGAIN!!!! He has already shed 2 times with us.
Do they have "growth spurts"?

Also both his 2 sheds with me have been in bits, not 1 long piece. I used to have a Corn Snake and she shed in one, just wondering if its a common thing with Royals?
He has a bit stuck but will give him a bath for that.

Overall he seems very happy. Going round his viv and being held etc...

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  22:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, yes I think they do have growth spurts and they do have 'shreds' from time to time. I keep my royals' water bowls permanently in their warm ends now, to keep humidity up and this does seem to be working - Saada's last shed was fine.

Hope your lad's next shed is better.

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Yearling

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  10:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my bee's doing the growth spurt thing atm. its only been about 2 weeks since his last shed and he's blue again. he's quite a bad shedder but i bought one of those moss hide logs for about £30 quid and its been a mirical worker. not had a bad shed out of my royals since iv been using it.

1.1.0 corns (amel + carolina)
2.3.0 normal, fire, pastel and 2 bumblebee royals
1.0.0 jungle carpet python
Go to Top of Page

nat8908
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  11:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. thats good. Least i know i'm not on my own with him lol. Do you know where you got the hide thing from?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  12:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its repeatedly going into shed because humidity is too low causing bad sheds which causes damage to the new layer of skin which then has to be shed to repair the damage. Shedding 3 times in 2 months at that age is not normal and it may just be a growth spurt but baby royals would struggle to grow quick enough to shed 3 times in 2 months so its far more likely to be a humidity issue.

To solve your humidity problem take a face cloth, wet it, wring it out and drape it over the hot side hide, you will need to wet it again at least once but more likely twice a day. As a one off give the whole setup a spray avoiding spraying the substrate (but dont worry if it gets a bit of wet on it) this will raise the humidity up, the cloth will keep it up. Another one is putting the water bowl in the hot side or even better an extra waterbowl in the hot side. If that doesn't work you have a very thick skinned Royal and then you can think about sorting out moss boxes etc.

Go to Top of Page

nat8908
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  16:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has been growing quite a lot as i got him as a rescue and he was only small, his age is an estimate, using the 10/15% thing from here he has gained well, so he looks mor like a snake now than just a rather big worm :/

I will try the damp cloth idea.
Although i do have quite a lot of dried moss that i could soak( i used to have GALS) just dont have a RUB to hand.

I couldn't find the moss log that was sugested :(
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000