New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamie98
Snake Mite

10 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  15:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
my royal is shedding rite now and i am lookin at him he looks a bit uncomfortable,it looks like he is about 1 5th of the way threw,i didnt see it start so im not to sure how he got his head out first and he is in his cave not near his rough log were he could be wait now he is beginning to move around he cage what sould i do>

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  16:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, royals can take their time about shedding - I couldn't believe it at first as I was used to corns.

If he's got his head out, that's great. And if the shed's rolling down in one piece that's even better.

If he gets very stuck, you can try putting him in a damp pillowcase, knotted at the top, in a rub, ventilated, in a warm room, supervised, for 20 minutes - his squirming against the damp material will help any stuck shed off, but it sounds to me as if he's just taking it steadily. The eyecaps are the main thing, as is the tailtip - anything in between is not too bad if any bits remain - but fingers crossed you won't need to intervene.

Keep us posted and hope his shed goes well.

Edited by - n/a on 15/01/2012 16:05:43
Go to Top of Page

jamie98
Snake Mite

10 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  16:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much and yea his eyecaps have come of and now he is half way there now he is just gone back into his cave after ttrying whit the log rubbing for 10 mins. well at the moment hes shed's are coming of in multiple pieces so there is going to be alot of cleaing up to do haha. How often does this happen.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  16:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bless him - good he's got his eyecaps off and hope he gets the rest off okay now.

How often depends on the snake and its eating and growth rate. You might want to keep his water bowl in the warm end next time, when you see him go blue, although I've sometimes found that hatchlings, whether royal or colubrid, do have scruffy sheds no matter what you do. Extra humidity can help - in fact I keep my adult royals' water bowls permanently in the warm end now; some people use damp flannels spread on top of the warm end hide, or hides with damp kitchen roll or moss in them, once the snake is blue or clearing.

However, what matters is getting the shed off, even if it's not all in one piece, although that's a shame - always nice to have a perfect shed skin to hang up, but maybe next time.

All the best with him.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000