Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  14:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there!

Brief introduction - My name is Richard, I am 24 from the West Midlands, UK and have always had a huge interest and love for Snakes.

I have a Mrs who is not too keen on Snakes, but I this weekend make a break through and I am now on the look out for a Royal Python (delighted).

I visited Rugby Reptiles this weekend and managed to have a look and handle a few 10 week old RPs - The Female Bumblebee won the prize of being my favourite.

Anyway, I appreciate the following questions will be obvious to some/most but hey.

1) What have you guys found to be the best heat source? The current package at Rugby Reptiles was a Wooden viv which is supplied with the following -
Day/Night Dimming Thermostat
Spot Bulb
Light Guard
Digtial Thermomete

I hear heat mats are better but will I need to sort a thermostate and probe? Can they be used with Wooden vivs? Any other options other than the 2 mentioned?

2) Once he or she returns to their new home, leave for approx 5 days before handling? When should the first feed occur?

Thanks for reading and I really hope to hear back from someone (ANYONE) soon :)

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  14:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say for a young snake as yours is :) A faun is ideal with heat mat and mat thermostat. Digital thermometer..2 small hides and water dish. That in my opinion is all you'll need, for a few months :)
Oh and newspaper as substrate lol

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  14:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops forgot to say 5 days until first feed :)

sorry Richard and huge welcome

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose

Edited by - JanieW on 30/01/2012 14:22:02
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  14:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've put mine straight in a wooden viv and never had any problems but It's personel preference really I would say that heat mats are no good for adult RP's so at some point if you go down the heat mat route you will need to spend more money If you want to put them in a viv as an adult, but if like many your going to keep them in a RUB then heat mat is more than fine as the mat will always be on the outside of the RUB, a dimming stat is ok for a mat but a pulse stat is the best when using heat mats but you will need a dimming stat if you get a viv and use an IR bulb

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

Richard
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  14:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the reply :)

OK, so I need to wait a few months for him/her to grow into the size of the Viv due to it getting stressed out etc?

I guess my main worry more than any other is which heat supply to use, in terms of mats or lamps? Along with the whole temperate and humidity issues.. All of which I will learn with time and experience I am sure, but it is something that is playing on my mind at the moment :-S

Any hints or tips in terms of handling? What provokes aggressions (hissing and biting)most and how to avoid?

How often do you guys tend to handle? Every day or every other day? Leave for 2 days after feeding? Avoid handling during shed?

Sorry for the overload :) Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Richard
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  15:05:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reptilemadd

I've put mine straight in a wooden viv and never had any problems but It's personel preference really I would say that heat mats are no good for adult RP's so at some point if you go down the heat mat route you will need to spend more money If you want to put them in a viv as an adult, but if like many your going to keep them in a RUB then heat mat is more than fine as the mat will always be on the outside of the RUB, a dimming stat is ok for a mat but a pulse stat is the best when using heat mats but you will need a dimming stat if you get a viv and use an IR bulb

OK dude, thanks for the information. The IR bulb stays on all day and night I presume? Also, no other heat source is then needed? What size RUB would you reckon for young? Also, what size for adult? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  15:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm probably not the best one to answer the handling question..as I broke all the rules handling Slinky..he was 3mths old about 3 days after we brought him home. Since then both he and Fea my Boa gets handled every day leaving 36hrs after a feed.
It isn't unusual for them to be out a couple of hours, but this house is 22 degrees 24/7 so temps are never an issue:)

Oh yes and Slinky is in shed, and we had him out for awhile before feeding. As I said lol there are no hard rules in this house.

It really depends on the individual snake, these two are like puppy dogs :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Popeye, African Grey
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

Richard
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  15:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

I'm probably not the best one to answer the handling question..as I broke all the rules handling Slinky..he was 3mths old about 3 days after we brought him home. Since then both he and Fea my Boa gets handled every day leaving 36hrs after a feed.
It isn't unusual for them to be out a couple of hours, but this house is 22 degrees 24/7 so temps are never an issue:)

Oh yes and Slinky is in shed, and we had him out for awhile before feeding. As I said lol there are no hard rules in this house.

It really depends on the individual snake, these two are like puppy dogs :)

I think I am starting to learn that there is in fact no definitive answer to a lot of Snake questions and it all varies dependent on your own unique animal. After doing some more research, I think I am going to go with the Viv with Ceramic heater (with guard) and Pulse Proportional Thermostat. Hope that will do the trick :)
Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  15:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good choice rich

With all hobbies everyone picks up there own way of doing thing
All can be right and ok to do
Its just that's how they do it

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  16:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

I think I am starting to learn that there is in fact no definitive answer to a lot of Snake questions and it all varies dependent on your own unique animal. After doing some more research, I think I am going to go with the Viv with Ceramic heater (with guard) and Pulse Proportional Thermostat. Hope that will do the trick :)

Hi Richard and welcome to the madhouse - you are absolutely right - snakes are all different and respond differently and you end up learning what they like ie they train you lol.

I always post this link for anyone starting - it covers everything although sounds like you're pretty clued up already.

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5183

Edited by - n/a on 30/01/2012 16:14:26
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  16:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first royal I put straight into a 30x18x18 and never had a bit of trouble with him regarding feeding untill last october that is and he started fasting (and still is the little pain)but from what Iv'e read over the past year I was lucky so my second I put into a 24x15x18 and again had no problems, a ceramic heater is a good choice the only down fall with them being you won't be able to see if they are working without checking your thermometer, if your going down the RUB route about an 18ltr should be fine slowly progressing upto a 50ltr when it's an adult, I hope some or that helped lol, and welcome by the way

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

boomslang

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  14:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go for a young snake,a heatmat and a small rub will be fine.

Other heating options viv wise are ceramic or red bulbs.

quote:
Spot Bulb
What is this spot bulb there trying to sell in the package?Sounds like a white light type basking bulb.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

Richard
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  15:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boomslang

If you go for a young snake,a heatmat and a small rub will be fine.

Other heating options viv wise are ceramic or red bulbs.

quote:
Spot Bulb
What is this spot bulb there trying to sell in the package?Sounds like a white light type basking bulb.

I think when I initially bring him/her home, it will be in a RUB with heat mat etc. How long until it should be transferred into a Viv?

Yeah, not sure what this "spot bulb" is all about! Will inquire further I think. Thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

Richard
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  16:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to throw something else into the mix... Anyone have any experience or opinion on Reptile Radiators?
Go to Top of Page

richard v
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  20:49:49  Show Profile  Click to see richard v's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

Just to throw something else into the mix... Anyone have any experience or opinion on Reptile Radiators?

Hi Richard,
Welcome aboard, it seems you have most of your questions
answered, there are loads of wise people on here.
As far as reptile rads go they are not to bad I use something
similar for my larger snakes. However for a young royal I would
Stick with a heat matt. My royal is nearly 3 years old an only just gone
onto a ir bulb. Hope that's of some help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000