New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajacklin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  08:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to check, humans are not supposed to be able to see infrared (like when it comes out of a remote control) so is there any reason why the bulbs supplied for reptiles are usually painted red? Does this mean that snakes can actually see it and I should be looking for a "clear" infrared bulb?

2 Corn Snake - Jaffa & Xanthe
1 Normal Royal - Syd
1 Rottweiller - JD
1 Collie X - Annie
2 Cats - Galaxy & Karamel
3 Chickens - Drummer, Noodle Bhuna
Many tropical fish

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  09:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IR bulbs give off red light that snakes cant see or cant see well. ive used them before an the light does not bother them at all

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  09:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the best of my knowledge what we call IR bulbs aren't actually Infa Red all they do is emitt red spectrum light which to the best of anyones knowledge the snake can't see in the red spectrum so the light doesn't bother them (I Think lol)

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  12:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the school is still out on this discussion. There seems to be no qualified reason that snakes can not see red light, as opposed to true IR. But many say it does no bother them so who knows. if your at all worried, get a ceramic heater.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  21:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes or in this case specifically Royal Pythons absolutely can see infra red. Those HUGE holes in their noses are heat pits sensitive to true infrared thermal radiation which is totally invisible to the naked eye.

Infra red bulbs are a crock of light, it may be further towards the infrared end of the visible light spectrum but its not Infra red or we wouldn't be able to see it or more to the point we wouldn't be able to see the way it illuminates things around it as IR emitters can glow red. As above there is no evidence that snakes cant see red, studies of their retina show they have the ability to see black and white in low light conditions (rods) and colour vision in daylight conditions (cones). Personal opinion is they do not react to red light in the same way they would white light because white light means daylight to them and being nocturnal white light symbolises 'time to hide'. Its also worth noting the red bulbs you can buy will give off a certain amount of white light, IR bulbs are designed to lessen this escape of white light which makes them a better choice for nocturnal species. Ceramic bulbs give off true infrared, totally invisible to us but the snake will still 'see' this plain as day through their heat senses but it will not disturb them visually.

I have used white light, red light, infra red and now ceramic bulbs and by my observations I can 100% say all my snakes are a lot calmer, more at ease in their enclosure since switching to ceramics. They also provide a much better heat gradient. The only thing I have noticed is they dry the air much quicker than a light emitting bulb did (cant explain why, haven't thought about it too much) but nothing to worry about unless shedding is in progress.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000