New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Duff030985
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  19:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a royal python from someone i knew as i didnt think he was treating it right and didnt think it lived in the right conditions. This is what it lived like, a hide with a heat mat in what the sanke would lie on and a water bowl in the corner:

I have saved up a bit of money and made a few changes to the vivarium but still feel like i need a little help and advice. I bought two hides and put one at each side of the vivarium and took the heat mat out and replaced it with an infered 100w bulb which i connected to a thermostat:

This is what the vivarium and snake looks like now but i need help and advice on the heat and setup. On the hot side i get it to 33 and the cooler side is between 24-27 which i feel is too cold, what temps should i be aiming for and if i need to raise the cooler side how can this be achieved? Also is my thermostat the correct one as when the temp gets to 33 it pulses the light on and off, i have read that snakes cant see the red light but i was unsure if the red light pulsing on and off all the time will affect the snake or will it be able to tell somehow? Thanks for any help and adivce and please look at the pictures below to see my vivarium

blackskull
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  20:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi. i hate to tell you but you have bought the wrong type of stat for a bulb that gives off light.

a pulse stat does just that pulse electricity to the bulb when it gets to the temp thats set on the dial, thats why it flashes, these can only be used with no light emitting heat sources.

for a light emitting bulb you want a dimmer stat, this reduces the amount of electric to the bulb when it gets to the temp set on the dial.

temps you need are 32 hot end 26 cold end, temps can sometimes take a few days to settle, well they do in my house

the changes you have made look a lot better than what it used to be

you could always change the ir bulb for a ceramic but you would need a ceramic bulb fitting too

1.1 normal royal, sully, silver
0.1 pinstripe royal, penny
1.1 pastel royal, lars, clover
0.1 lesser royal, serenity
0.1 black pastel royal, betty
0.1 mojave royal, mavis
0.1 normal het clown
1.0 pastel het clown
1.0 nuclear, ned
1.0 super phantom
1.0 childrens python, myles
0.1 hog island boa
0.1 sonoran x boa, grace
0.0.1 mack snow leopard gecko, munchkin
4.1 cats, stan, dave, marble, binx, daisy
4.1 rabbits, mol, ted, bill, spud, alice
0.1 crazy cat/bunny lady of bridgwater, lucy

Edited by - blackskull on 31/01/2012 20:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  20:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree the stat is the wrong type for the bulb (snake disco) BUT a cheaper long term fix is switch the bulb (and bulb holder) to a ceramic heat bulb and then you can keep the stat you have. I use ceramics with my very shy Royal and since the switch from light emitting to non light emitting the difference has been incredible, he really came out of his shell.

Thats a good sized royal you have there too, by the looks of it just about to start the shedding process I hope, the belly is looking very pink in the picture which is the first sign of a shed. Can you post a picture of the belly though, I see is was kept on a heat mat, Royals and heat mats dont mix so wouldnt mind seeing a pic to make sure its not burns and just a impending shed.

The changes you've made are incredible, you've done a great job, its a perfect Royal enclosure, plenty of cover, not much open space, few tweeks to the strobe light and you'll be set.

Edited by - Lotabob on 31/01/2012 20:34:48
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  00:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Duffo, and welcome - yes, as others have said, the pulse doesn't go with the IR - BUT - is the snake going to notice? I wonder ...snakes can't see red light, it's said.

I think the combination of pulse and IR is more irritating for humans than a snake. I'd personally want to change the combination of stat/bulb myself but I don't reckon it's bothering your royal atm - and the temps are fine btw.

Beautiful big royal - congrats!

Go to Top of Page

Duff030985
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  10:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and advice, i had a 150w ceramic in but put the IR one in as it looked better to me with the red light on as i could then watch the snake at night without him knowing i was there. I have put the ceramic 150w back in now though after the advice use have gave me. I dont need to spend any more money as i already have the ceramic light fitting and ceramic bulb so thats helped me out.
LOTABOB - Ive just set all this up for him and read that i should leave him for a week to settle in without disturbing him or handling him so i will take a picture of his belly in a week to show you or if hes out along the glass i will get a picture.
One more question is i have the waterfall and fogger and if i turn the waterfall on the humidity stays the same but if i turn the fogger on to for a couple of hours it goes to 75-80%. Will this help with shedding or is it too high? I could put it on for 20 mins every 2-3 hours when shedding to raise it up a bit if need be? Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  12:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royal pythons don't need the level of humidity a waterfall and fogger provide, I'm afraid, sorry to tell you this when your setup looks so good. The only extra humidity most royals need is during shedding, when you can put their water bowls in the warm end of the viv to hasten evaporation/up humidity, or leave a damp flannel on top of the warm hide, or provide a moist hide.

Plus the mist and splashing from the waterfall/fogger could cause swelling/rotting of wood in a wooden viv. Sorry again as I imagine it looks really good.

Go to Top of Page

Duff030985
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOTABOB - I had to quickly take the snake out tonight so took 2 pictures of his belly like you asked for, let me know your opionion

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000