New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  13:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of days ago I noticed that Princess was wheezing a bit. After frenzied web searches I raised the temperature in her viv a bit (now 33 at the warm end) and set the thermostat not to drop the temp at night. Last night she sounded better. She was still doing it a bit, but it was less noticable. She seems alright in herself, she's active and alert and there's no sign of any mucous or bubbles but the noise is a bit worrying.

I doubt she's about to shed as I've not seen her go blue. I bought a hygrometer last night and found that the humidity was only 30%. I've put a bowl of water in the warm end to try and raise it and will pick up a misting spray on my way home.

So, do you think the wheezing is caused by the dry air and should I take her to the vet straight away or see if she gets better?

Thanks, Chris

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  08:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, last night she didn't come out of her log before we went to bed which isn't terribly unusual. She stuck her head out and had a bit of a sniff when I changed her water though and seemed quite interested in what I was doing in her house until she worked out that food was not forthcoming and went back in.

From listening while she was in I couldn't hear any wheezing at all, but it was more noticeable while she was out and about.

With much misting I did manage to get her humidity up to 50%, but it was back down to 30% this morning. I'm beginning to think that the warm end wasn't the best place for the hygrometer as the bulb may be drying the thing out and affecting the reading. Should I be worrying about the humidity, some people say it should be 50% - 60% while others say don't worry as long as it's not too high?

She's booked into the vets for a check up the week after next, so I'll keep an eye on her and get her in earlier if she seems to be ill.

Any suggestions / comments gratefully received as this is all new to me.

Chris

0.1.0 BCI - Feather

Edited by - chris100575 on 12/03/2009 10:00:40
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:51:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I do not use a hygrometer for my Royals. Is yours a digital one?

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  10:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BE, no it's one of the dial type. I know they're not particularly accurate but it was showing about 50% before I put in in the viv.

0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  12:11:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As I say, I don't bother monitoring mine, I do supply a moist hide so they can increase their humidity if required and have large water bowls (surface area rather than depth).

Considering their natural habitat is disused rodent burrows in Africa too much humidity is always going to be worse than too little.

Go to Top of Page

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  15:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I feel better for knowing that. I bought the largest water bowl they had so that she'd have room to get in if she wanted to. I think I was just clutching at straws a bit in case the air being dry might have caused the wheezing.

Like I said, she does sound better for being warmer and I'll keep an eye on her. I have a digital thermometer in the living room so I've put that in the warm end until I get a permanent one for her. I don't think her viv was quite warm enough before. (Naffing dial thermometers!)

0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000