New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did this happen, it stinks (worse then corn poo) and after the constrict Mister just walked away in disgust...I have removed it because he obviously didnt want to eat it and it was covered in subs, GRIM!... (I did try offering it to the corn as well)

How do i avoid that happening again? :(

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you defrost the rats?
apparently defrosting them to fast can cause them to burst

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ewww! Lovely, just before Sunday lunch eh?

I don't know if it can be avoided ...if a snake constricts hard and pressure's put on the rodent's abdomen ...yes well ...Shahi once had rat blood running down the walls of his viv ...Delightful!

Poor old Mister too - just about to enjoy his grub and that happens - not surprised he was put off. The smell IS terrible - there's only one thing worse and that's gutting rabbits, same thing I suppose, but on a larger scale ...

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice should be a DON'T READ WHILE EATING warning on this post lol but as far as it happening I think there is three reasons but no expert
1, As has been said an excited snake squeezing to hard
2, Once the rodent has been thawed the skin structure has been damaged and thinned buy the freezing/ thawing effect
3, Depending how long after thawing the rodent gets fed to the snake there may be a build up of gas in the stomach just as there is in humans

So put all that together and you have all the ingredients for a "perfect storm" lol

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"

Edited by - reptilemadd on 05/02/2012 13:42:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, we overlapped, Chris - yes indeed, fast defrosting can weaken the stomach wall, but I defrost overnight as a rule and still get the occasional exploding rat ...ewww...

Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought as much, just put him in warm water in a bag in a jug and left him on the kitchen side for a few hours...oh and i hair dryed its nose....ok i got another out, this time in the airing cupboard...thanks for the advice....blooming stinks though...i swear i can still smell it now :/

0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  14:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep when they burst they smell rank. I think a lot is dependant on how the rat has been looked after once its dead, how quickly it is frozen, has it defrosted even partially and been refrozen again, each time it refreezes the ice crystals destroy the cells weakening them. Also if they are defrosted in a warmer environment the gases inside them expand causing a balloon effect inside which makes the constrict pressures far worse. All in all its going to happen from time to time all we can do is try to look after our frozen morsels and hold our noses if it goes pop.

Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  10:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He seemed to have learnt a valuable lesson about constricting his food there....new mouse that i left dangling he wouldnt touch so i just left it in there..30 minutes and it was gone :) cannot wait to clean him out after a few days...pheweyyyy!

0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
Go to Top of Page

mark_92
Yearling

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  15:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see mark_92's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
LOL this happened to me last week but she still ate it haha, i agree tho horrible smell

Reptile list.

Normal Royal python "Biggie" ( female )
Normal Royal python ( male )
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  19:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - this happened to me today, or rather Shiva.

Couldn't wait to get at his small rat, which had been defrosted overnight in the fridge, and brought gently to warm room temperature. Then it burst and he rejected it. I'm not surprised it burst - he constricted it like one of those car-crushing machines.

Luckily I had an XL weaner ready, destined to be handed round to the upstairs non-eating brigade, and he accepted that.

The oozing rat was passed on to Ziska, who was delighted. She slurped it all over and dragged it round and chewed on its back leg and generally made an awful mess before taking it down in 2 mins flat, before going back and nuzzling on every trace of blood and guts.

Pits are foul toads - but handy for cleaning up grub more squeamish snakes are too refined to eat ...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000