New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey i staring to get a little concerned as i have had damien for nearl a year and i have never had the massive mess of poop etc to clear up, he always does hard poop 2-3 inches long and white balls of urine never like a massive flood, hes a ok eater and is healthy and sheds fine!! just bit concerned!! also could it be because he still only on rat weiners?? lady in reptile shop said no need to ever feed a royal any bigger than that?
thank u people

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old/big is the snake? weaners are small for an adult Royal, actually very small. Most of Duke's poop is solid like a dog poop with urates. he has just today dropped a flood of wee but still had the standard issue log and urate balls.

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Yearling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would say that the women in the shop told you the wrong info. the calcium levels and all other neutrients in a rat weener are not enough and will end up in some kinda deffiecentcy (sorry thats probably spelt wrong).and they will be high in fat .i dont no much about royals as i am new to royals. but with corns you use the rule if you can see a bump then your ok. if you cant then you need the next size up. you'll be looking at about 1.5 x of theirain body size. if i am wrong please tell me and i will delete post

0.1.0 ghost (silva)
1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)

0.1 ghost bloodred pied corn
1.0 ghost bloodred het pied
1.0 staffy x beagle
0.1 staffy
0.1 pinstripe royal
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do liquid wee along with the urates and mess but this can sometimes dry out before you find it - I always clean out a big area of substrate round the solids just to make sure (fusspot lol.)

As to the food, I would weigh him and select a rat weighing 10/15% of his bodyweight or with a girth the same as his, good that he's eating and shedding well, all the best.

Go to Top of Page

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say he was born sept 2010 so 15 month old, he is nearly 3.5ft in length, i do struggle to wiegh him cause soon as i get him out he is like cool lets go for a mission and wont curl up again, how do u guys best weigh yours?? he ate tonight so will weigh him fri night (or at least try too) i do a complete bedding change every 3-4 weeks and spot check daily
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - he sounds like a big lad then - he's about 6 months younger than Shahi, who can eat a medium adult rat.

If the little git plays you up when weighing, just stick him in a pillowcase and put him in a bowl on the scales (after zeroing weight of bowl.) Then weigh quickly before pillowcase jumps out!

He sounds a right little character lol!

Go to Top of Page

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i thought he wasnt that big!! maybe he about 3 foot!! when i saw his dad i was like **** thats a big boy, thick as ya arm lol. maybe i need to up his food do you use like bathroom scales or food weighing scales. he is a right little character mate every night without fail he is there rubbing against the edge of the viv then sees me and moves his head frantically and then watches the lock to c if i going to unlock it!! love him he is awesome
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  22:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww bless him - love it when they really signal to you - Armchair Walkies! NOW!!!

I use digital food scales - mine are from Argos, Salters, about £10 - although I've no experience of human weighing scales - mine are about 30 years old ...so modern ones are going to be a lot more accurate lol

Go to Top of Page

infatuateddrummer
Yearling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ah nice one i got digital food weighing scales so will try those ;-) cheers
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  11:56:56  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find an ice cream tub with snake inside then on the scales is easiest.

My adults would mock me if I fed them a weaner rat, small rats to mediums for the adults every 2-4 weeks seems to work for me.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid i won't be able to find bigger prey for Blitz when he will grow up to an adult royal!!
i'll have to feed him two hamsters instead.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000