Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Oscar was doing really well, and I know they're all different but I've just been reading BigDon's age, weight thread and I'm wondering now if Oscar is a tad small.

I reckon he's coming up a year old and he weighs 457 gms. He eats well, handles well, and is active enough.

He is being fed on Extra Large Mice, one a week. On monday, I went to pet shop and asked about rats. Brian doesn't have weaners or anything and anyway, he said they're smaller than the xl mice (although I find that a bit difficult to believe) so he got me out a small rat!!! To me, it was ginormous!!!! although I reckon not far off Oscar's girth.

I weighed Oscars mouse on Sunday and it was only 26gms, which is too small, hence me asking for rats. Brian weighed the small rat for me and that was 102gms...too big.

Anyway, I'm figuring on giving Oscar 2 mice at each feed for a while which will give him his 10% - 15%. What do you think?

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal, Oscar.
1.0.0 German Shepherd, Bailey.

Still lots to learn.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be as well to find a better supplier with a better range of sizes. Don't think that because he is a little small that he isn't doing well though, the body shape will be the biggest indicator of an underweight snake. If you increase the feeding to 10-15% of the weight you will/should notice an acceleration in growth.

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you should be able to get 50g rats, I buy them as my young lady turns her nose up at anything bigger

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah.

According to weight table of one of my suppliers -

small mouse 9g
medium 20g
ex-breeder (Large, jumbo) 45g

small weaner rat - 37g
medium weaner - 45g
large weaner - 55g
XL weaner - 80g
small adult rat - 106g

Yes, if you're worried about his ability to take a larger rodent down, nothing wrong with feeding a couple of smaller ones (though would recommend rats) but they can surprise you - that tiny neck can streeeetch!!!

All the best with him.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I maybe try and get some rats online? Have any of you used, or do use, an online supplier? I live in a village and as I'm a carer for my mum, I can't get out often or for long and there's no other pet shop/supplier round here. 50gms would be perfect Mark.

I think I would like to get him onto rats if I can.

Bats, thanks for that. It's nice to know what's what, 'cause I haven't a clue about sizes really.

Bob,(or is it Rob?) what do you mean by body shape? What do I look for? He looks fine to me.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 07/02/2012 23:50:01
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  11:53:53  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weaner rats are your best bet. I only buy in bulk, makes life easier, but sis only worth it for quite a few snakes (share my orders with a mate)

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  16:40:16  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
according to your weight table BATS, some hamsters i bring to Blitz equal small adult rat, that is good

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  17:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds just right, Tawfik!

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  18:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lorraine

Bob,(or is it Rob?) what do you mean by body shape? What do I look for? He looks fine to me.

Rob, Bob, Robert, Oi etc, I will reply to them all lol.

With body shape you can obviously tell if a snake is under weight as it will have a toblerone shaped body. Your Oscar if fine from the pictures you've posted. He is been fed so he isn't losing weight he is just not growing as fast as he would if he had more food. Its not an issue, i personally think they will grow to the size their genes dictate eventually and its not a race to get them to adult size as quickly as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  20:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah right. I wondered if that was what you meant having seen others on here. I'm ok then, he's definitely not toblerone shaped, lol. Thanks Oi.

Still lots to learn.

Edited by - Lorraine on 08/02/2012 20:22:08
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  15:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I tried him with two mice last night and had to bin one this morning. Not interested.
To be honest I'm not sure if the fact that he messed up his first strike and then I upset him trying to get a pic of him feeding had anything to do with it. Maybe, but hey ho!!!

Anyway, this morning I bought more extra large mice a little bigger I think than what he's been eating and I also got a large weaner rat. Brian doesn't do medium. This weaner is about 60gms which is at the top end of the 10 to 15 percent guide. They're £2.50 each so I'm loathe to waste it, lol. Not sure when to try him or even IF to try him. It looks big to me, but it's no bigger than his midriff I don't think.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Hatchling

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:12:07  Show Profile  Click to see paulie78's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
£2.50 each for rat weaners ouch! i pay 75p for small weaners between 26-48 grams and a £1 for large weaners 51-80 grams my large mice i buy for the corns are 50p each and around 30 grams though i source mine locally from a guy whose cousin breeds his own and is very shortly going to be doing it on a much larger scale hopefully reduceing the cost even more i get them cheaper in if buy in bulk which i do with my mice as i have 5 corns but i only have one royal so cant justify bulk buying ..yet lol

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."..Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I tried him with two mice last night and had to bin one this morning. Not interested.
To be honest I'm not sure if the fact that he messed up his first strike and then I upset him trying to get a pic of him feeding had anything to do with it. Maybe, but hey ho!!!

Anyway, this morning I bought more extra large mice a little bigger I think than what he's been eating and I also got a large weaner rat. Brian doesn't do medium. This weaner is about 60gms which is at the top end of the 10 to 15 percent guide. They're £2.50 each so I'm loathe to waste it, lol. Not sure when to try him or even IF to try him. It looks big to me, but it's no bigger than his midriff I don't think.

Bloody hell that is pricey, but if you're buying locally and only have one snake ...I know my local shop used to charge 50p for a mouse pinkie a couple of years back ...

I'd wait a week before offering again - BUT, it's that time of year when even young royals fast - Shahi fasted during his first winter. If Oscar fasts, it won't hurt him, only your wallet when you have to bin a rat ...

Good luck with him.

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have seen several comments about underweight snakes but not so much about overweight or fat snakes. is over weight not an issue with snakes?

1.0.0 Normal Royal Python Loki
1.1.0 Cats Daisy and Benson
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by curiouslyfacinated

i have seen several comments about underweight snakes but not so much about overweight or fat snakes. is over weight not an issue with snakes?

It is indeed, although not so much with royals as the winter fast keeps it in check, I think - but I'd personally rather feed a little under than a little over - snake obesity is dangerous as their metabolism is so slow - takes ages to diet a snake down as you can't take it for long walks like a dog, say.

But with more voracious and consistently feeding snakes like corns and the pituophis (bulls pines and gophers) yes, you have to be careful about not giving in to these 'dustbins' in their demands for food. My little pine snake gulps down his mouse and cruises about giving me pleading glances - 'where's me main course then?' And my corns are as bad. As for Ziska, she'd eat ME!

Even with some royals, you have to be careful not to overfeed; an obese snake doesn't look good, isn't healthy, and has a shorter lifespan.

Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, I was wondering the same as CF. You don't hear much about over weight snakes. Interesting Bats. Thanks.

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  18:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm, I was wondering the same as CF. You don't hear much about over weight snakes. Interesting Bats. Thanks.

lol "CF" i like that

Go to Top of Page

curiouslyfacinated
Yearling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  18:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

quote:

It is indeed, although not so much with royals as the winter fast keeps it in check, I think - but I'd personally rather feed a little under than a little over - snake obesity is dangerous as their metabolism is so slow - takes ages to diet a snake down as you can't take it for long walks like a dog, say.

But with more voracious and consistently feeding snakes like corns and the pituophis (bulls pines and gophers) yes, you have to be careful about not giving in to these 'dustbins' in their demands for food. My little pine snake gulps down his mouse and cruises about giving me pleading glances - 'where's me main course then?' And my corns are as bad. As for Ziska, she'd eat ME!

Even with some royals, you have to be careful not to overfeed; an obese snake doesn't look good, isn't healthy, and has a shorter lifespan.

interesting thanks BATS

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  18:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anatess has a good guide to obesity in snakes - she says that if a snake is overweight, you can see gaps between its scales when its body is in normal mode ie not stretched as when the gullet is distended when feeding.

Edited by - n/a on 13/02/2012 18:52:13
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine
Yearling

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  21:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

lol "CF" i like that

That's good, lol. I'm just too lazy to type out long user names, ha ha.

Or....maybe I figured you were Captive Farmed eh?

Still lots to learn.
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  21:55:45  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm yet to see a fat royal. Fat colubrids on the other hand......

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000