Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  13:31:10  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well... believe it or not i'm STILL building Sanchez' viv!!!

Basically... well i've been a bit quiet on here, as i haven't been the best snake mummy in the world, due to serious problems with my goldfish :( so that's taking up lots of time and money :( Chancho's on a fast for the past 3 weeks, so it's just Betty and Sanchez to play with and they've being grumpy due to the cold LOL luckily snakes don't really give a monkeys as long as they're fed and watered and kept clean, i do miss having more armchair walkies time but literally every night is spent faffing about with the fish :(

ANYWAY....

Sanchez's viv is nearly done, i just used a picture background for the back wall, but on the size walls i bought those exo terra polystyrene things. After spending ages sticking them on and cutting them to size, i realise... they look terrible - mainly because i've hacked them to bits and created holes that Sanchez could quite happy go and get stuck in.

So... i really am not in the mood for making anything... i know backgrounds aren't that hard to make really with polystyrene grout etc... but i just want something quick and nice!

Vivarium background to buy are a rip off, aside from the exo terra ones. £25 for a tile of cork bark!?!?!?!?!?? etc....

I want something with a bit lower profile than the exo terra background which stick out about an inch or so.

i was thinking like a lino tile or something that is still a bit textured but nowhere near as thick and a million times easier to just stick on and cover with some fake plants etc...?

Any other suggestions? :)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry to hear about the goldfish - hope the problem's sorted soon, fingers crossed. No, the snakes won't mind being left alone - in fact if most of my lot are anything to go by, they tend to be pretty comatose at this time of year.

What about those thin cork tiles for the viv? Well, I'm assuming they still make them. I remember doing a bathroom floor in them, they can be cut to size easily with scissors if needs be, and you seal them with varnish. Stuck to the viv walls, and sealed with low emission varnish (needs 3 weeks to cure and then it's safe) they ought to look good and be cleaned easily if needs be, but at least Chancho's not likely to let fly down the walls like disgusting corns.

Hope you find something!

ps yes they still make them - this site's not UK but you get the idea -
http://www.overstock.com/Office-Supplies/Cork-12-inch-Wall-Tiles-Pack-of-24/4469467/product.html?track=pspla&cid=211017&kid=9553000370208

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:16:45  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi, sorry to hear about the goldfish - hope the problem's sorted soon, fingers crossed. No, the snakes won't mind being left alone - in fact if most of my lot are anything to go by, they tend to be pretty comatose at this time of year.

What about those thin cork tiles for the viv? Well, I'm assuming they still make them. I remember doing a bathroom floor in them, they can be cut to size easily with scissors if needs be, and you seal them with varnish. Stuck to the viv walls, and sealed with low emission varnish (needs 3 weeks to cure and then it's safe) they ought to look good and be cleaned easily if needs be, but at least Chancho's not likely to let fly down the walls like disgusting corns.

Hope you find something!

ps yes they still make them - this site's not UK but you get the idea -
http://www.overstock.com/Office-Supplies/Cork-12-inch-Wall-Tiles-Pack-of-24/4469467/product.html?track=pspla&cid=211017&kid=9553000370208

oooh yes, Mr Chancho is very anti social at the moment, always in his hide grumping! Normally he's knocking about but i hardly see him, so at least the timings not too bad while he's having an emo phase!

Yes i know what cork tiles you mean, i used to have a whole wall done with them years back as a kid so i could pin pictures straight up! Somewhere must sell them :D looks more interesting than just plain and i could easily fasten in plants etc,

full of good ideas as usual BATS you never let me down! :D

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  16:23:08  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ooh also found this... http://www.wickes.co.uk/embossed-vinyl-floor-tiles/invt/625808/ there's a wickes up the road so may see what they're like too :D

Might look a bit flat but those exo terra polystyrene things are a nightmare!! I'm attaching some rope in various places round the viv, chuck some plants and fill up the place, you'd never know!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  17:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pleasure lol - ah yes, see what you mean, and they're self-adhesive too - not a good idea for a viv floor as wee gets underneath but for the sides they ought to be fine - just as long as the adhesive doesn't go tacky in the warmth, as so many adhesives do ...last summer all my stats peeled away from their velcro mounting and went clunk during the one or two warm nights that were to be had in sultry Wakefield ...not!

Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  17:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B&Q do the cork tiles as well I think although you may find that over time the heat might melt the backing glue just enough for the to slide so you might be better off leaving the paper on the back and use some aquarium silicone to stick them on, get some cheap decor from Dunhelm mill and stick it on and your laughing

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  18:18:13  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah was thinking self adhesive is notoriously useless and aquarium sealant would be a better plan! :D

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  21:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope the fish are ok, I had filter problems a few months ago. Doing 50% water changes on a 240L tank every night for a week is no laughing matter!

Was thinking of getting a background for Charlie's viv but the price put me off. I did wonder about cork tiles or something, but didn't get round to looking. Let us know what you do and post some pics :)
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  21:52:28  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesA

Hope the fish are ok, I had filter problems a few months ago. Doing 50% water changes on a 240L tank every night for a week is no laughing matter!

Was thinking of getting a background for Charlie's viv but the price put me off. I did wonder about cork tiles or something, but didn't get round to looking. Let us know what you do and post some pics :)

the prices are shocking aren't they?! i'll get some pics up when it's done and dusted... may be a while LOL

i feel your pain, although my tank is only 130L i'm doing a similar thing with a lot of extra faff added... it's a very long story!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  22:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops sorry - got mixed up between Sanchez and Chancho - bit of a difference as Sanchez is a mucky corn ...LOVE corns but they ARE mucky!!

Omg, water filter problems ...honestly, aquariums are awful; if I wasn't so attached to Hawkeye and Hotlips & co I really would have tried to rehome them by now, the poor little guys. Hope the goldfish are going on ok.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2012 :  22:53:32  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops sorry - got mixed up between Sanchez and Chancho - bit of a difference as Sanchez is a mucky corn ...LOVE corns but they ARE mucky!!

Omg, water filter problems ...honestly, aquariums are awful; if I wasn't so attached to Hawkeye and Hotlips & co I really would have tried to rehome them by now, the poor little guys. Hope the goldfish are going on ok.

haha too many mexican names BATS!

I'm the same, i wish i hadn't got a fish tank, i really do! but i love my guys to pieces and couldn't get rid either! "fish are easy" everyone says, "my bum" i say!!!!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  08:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they are stable everything is pretty easy, but things can go down hill fast can't they. I'm going to close down my 30L tank once the baby apple snails are old enough to be sold on. The big tank is currently over run with baby catfish. 2nd time they have spawned for me which is great fun to watch. Last time there were about 140 babies!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  09:45:28  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

When they are stable everything is pretty easy, but things can go down hill fast can't they. I'm going to close down my 30L tank once the baby apple snails are old enough to be sold on. The big tank is currently over run with baby catfish. 2nd time they have spawned for me which is great fun to watch. Last time there were about 140 babies!

wow amazing! i've never had any spawning going on, bet it's great seeing all the tiny fish and stressful making sure they make it!

Basically one of my orandas has been suffering because the nitrates in our tap water skyrocketed, and he also had a problem due to water pressure at the same time, he was just starting to get better but it meant the water was only half the tanks worth, which is not enough for the two orandas and weather loach so took lots of caring for. I had to take out the gravel as they were scuffing their bellies. At the same time the heater exploded and the temp dropped to just 12°c putting them into hibernation - where their immune systems only operate at about 50% if that and the disturbing of the bacteria lurking in the gravel caused them to both get a nasty case of some sort of fungus and now full blown fin rot :(

Spent last night refilling the tank to almost capacity (after taking out all but about 10% of the water due to a cycle crash), and the fungus is calming down and dying off, however Precious (my blue oranda) is look dreadful - yesterday her fins were just a bit sore looking and tatty ended, now her tail is just all stringy and her dorsal fin looks like its going the same way :( it's horrible, they're like two playful puppies in a tank so seeing them like that is heartbreaking :( i thought after all my hard work last night we'd turn a corner, but to get up this morning and see her beautiful tail disappearing into strings is disheartening. Play it by ear i guess.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  09:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like fin rot to me mystra and theres not alot that can be done, yes you can stop the rot by treating the water but their fins are never the same again. Fish are very hard work and when all is settled and things are good then they are easy to care for. I had a tank full of very beautiful adult angel fish and the rot got to them too, managed to salvage their lives but their fins were terrible after and they didnt live much longer. All my Oscars got hole in the head eventually as well so ive never had the best luck with fish...hope you can sort it out and get fish on road to recovery

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  10:08:11  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlycorn

sounds like fin rot to me mystra and theres not alot that can be done, yes you can stop the rot by treating the water but their fins are never the same again. Fish are very hard work and when all is settled and things are good then they are easy to care for. I had a tank full of very beautiful adult angel fish and the rot got to them too, managed to salvage their lives but their fins were terrible after and they didnt live much longer. All my Oscars got hole in the head eventually as well so ive never had the best luck with fish...hope you can sort it out and get fish on road to recovery

thanks carlycorn :)

i wish i could do more, it's not like you can just take them to a vet :(

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  10:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really sorry to hear, Mystra - that's awful!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  10:54:42  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really sorry to hear, Mystra - that's awful!

thank you BATS :)

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  13:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty bad Mystra, fingers crossed for you and the fish! Oh and get some API Melafix in there, not used it myself but the folks over on the Practical Fishkeeping forum rate it highly. Always worth asking some advice over there too, if you haven't already. http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/

The baby plec's are ace and luckily I've got a good local fish shop that will swap them for store credit. I did a photo diary of the first spawn if you would like a look: http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75113

Also a feeding video here: http://youtu.be/nBNftf3ehRg
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  14:03:46  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds pretty bad Mystra, fingers crossed for you and the fish! Oh and get some API Melafix in there, not used it myself but the folks over on the Practical Fishkeeping forum rate it highly. Always worth asking some advice over there too, if you haven't already. http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/

The baby plec's are ace and luckily I've got a good local fish shop that will swap them for store credit. I did a photo diary of the first spawn if you would like a look: http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=75113

Also a feeding video here: http://youtu.be/nBNftf3ehRg

WOW!!!! so cute!! and so many haha!! And Dad's bristly nose, i don;t think i've ever seen one before, or i've only seen females. He looks like Davy Jones from the Pirates of the Caribbean films!

I already use Melafix and Pimafix, fantastic stuff and has helped with the fungus no end, and no doubt helping with any sore areas too. It's taking time as these things do, but yes those two are firmly in my fishy medicine box!

I'm syringe feeding Pedro tonight as his tummy is looking bloated, but he's not interested in eating the peas himself, so been advised to prepare a gel with peas and Epsom salts and syringe it in to his mouth a smidge at a time. As stressful and upsetting it is, i can't help finding all this stuff really interesting on an educational level too. i think i am a member on PFK but i've got 2 forum threads on Koko's goldfish forum and RFUK fish section running a zillion pages long.. i can't keep up with them all!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  14:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed that thread too, James - watching the fry grow was fascinating and loved that pic where they're all clambering over their dad.

Again all the best with the fish, Mystra - poor old Pedro and Precious! How's the Lieutenant? I believe weather loach are tougher?

Edited by - n/a on 14/02/2012 14:32:15
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  14:38:31  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I enjoyed that thread too, James - watching the fry grow was fascinating and loved that pic where they're all clambering over their dad.

Again all the best with the fish, Mystra - poor old Pedro and Precious! How's the Lieutenant? I believe weather loach are tougher?

cheers BATS

Yes the Lieutenant is tough as nails, he's absolutely fine and thriving as he should, he must be armour plated inside and out!!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000