Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  15:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that's good - glad the Lieutenant's ok - do hope Pedro and Precious get right too, even if they end up with tatty fins they'll still be themselves. Fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  19:04:25  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sad news - just come home to a dead fish. RIP Precious, you beautiful lady x

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  20:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no!

So very very sorry to hear, Mystra! (Hugs.) xxx

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  20:27:29  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Oh no!

So very very sorry to hear, Mystra! (Hugs.) xxx

thanks BATS

Having some horrible thoughts, but i'm getting closer to throwing in the towel. Pedro has been in this state for 5 months nearly, and although he's improved slightly it feels like this is the best he's get, upside down :( and now he's lost his lady friend. Obviously i need to think things through when i'm calmer and less emotional but i'm really considering putting him to sleep. Who knows how it feels to live like that.

He's a tank i'll give him that, he outlives everyone that lives in his tank.

I'd probably rehome the loach and snails and retire from fish keeping forever. A 100 snakes would be easier to keep alive and content!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2012 :  20:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omg I didn't realise they'd been ill for so long! You must be exhausted.

I agree with you - sometimes you have to decide if that animal has enough quality of life, and if not, then letting it go is the last caring thing you can do for it. You've given Pedro and Precious a good life and you've put in so much work on them. If you do decide to let him go, then that's not throwing in the towel - you really have done everything you could before coming to that decision. But yes, a very sad decision to have to make.

All the very best xxx

Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  09:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear mystra. Wont think any less if you decide to throw in the towel, have flushed many a bendy fish myself because I didnt want to see them suffering. Used to work in a tropical fish shop and you kinda get numb when you see bags of fish arrive from singapore and theres maybe a handful out of the 500 fish in a bag that are alive.

Dont be disheartened, maybe run the tank down for a bit and have a rest and come back to it another month. I ran my mums fish tank down and removed it but now she really misses it, says it was therapeutic, might get her a smaller tank though, one she can manage herself without needing buckets and a whole loada muscle to clean it :)

Whatever you decide mystra im sure its best :)

1.0.0 Royal Python, Mister
0.0.1 Cornsnake, Carly/Charly
0.0.1 PacMan, Trig
0.1.0 Feline, Fluffy
1.1.0 Children, Ellen & Oscar
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  10:39:32  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Omg I didn't realise they'd been ill for so long! You must be exhausted.

I agree with you - sometimes you have to decide if that animal has enough quality of life, and if not, then letting it go is the last caring thing you can do for it. You've given Pedro and Precious a good life and you've put in so much work on them. If you do decide to let him go, then that's not throwing in the towel - you really have done everything you could before coming to that decision. But yes, a very sad decision to have to make.

All the very best xxx

it's just really hard with a fish.. like snakes too you cant really tell they are in pain, as they don't whine or anything like a dog... and it's not like you can take them to the vets and get definite diagnosis with the right medication.. it's all trial and error and mucking about with things people suggest on the internet from their own experience.

My friends etc in the 'real world' don't really get it. they are of the mind set that it's just a fish and not meant to live very long, or matter very much. So it's nice to have people to talk to like on here or the fish forums etc of the same mind that do understand!

5 months of trying different medications, testing waters every 5 mins, changing 50L+ of water too many times a week to remember, the expense of new equipment to try out new solutions... it's so hard to have that result in the fish that wasn't originally sick dying, and for Pedro to still be the same really. :(

Thanks for your support BATS xxx

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  10:44:48  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlycorn

Sorry to hear mystra. Wont think any less if you decide to throw in the towel, have flushed many a bendy fish myself because I didnt want to see them suffering. Used to work in a tropical fish shop and you kinda get numb when you see bags of fish arrive from singapore and theres maybe a handful out of the 500 fish in a bag that are alive.

Dont be disheartened, maybe run the tank down for a bit and have a rest and come back to it another month. I ran my mums fish tank down and removed it but now she really misses it, says it was therapeutic, might get her a smaller tank though, one she can manage herself without needing buckets and a whole loada muscle to clean it :)

Whatever you decide mystra im sure its best :)

:) thanks Carlycorn. i think if this is the end of the road for this tank, i really don't want another goldfish set up. This ones just 130L and 4ft long but still requires so much cleaning, water changes etc etc (nothing easy about fancy goldfish if you're doing it right).. i think if Pedro goes that will be the end of it full stop.

At the most i'd consider a betta or something very small that would live in a smaller tank for life. But to be honest i probably just wouldn't bother at all.

If i kept the tank, the loach would need company of his own, meaning going with just a weather loach set up, which might even have to upgraded in length anyway... and as they aren't as interactive as my goldfish (although he is fun to watch) i think it would be better for him to find a new home with some loach friends awaiting him.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  12:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its never easy losing a fish. Before we moved to Scotland I had five 4' tanks set up..one was fancy Lionheads..one genenal tropical community and the rest rare catfish. I didn't want to transport them all that distance so sold them to the place where I got most.

Two years ago I set up a small cold water tank for my daughter, a loach and a few fantails. All was fine for a year then they all started dying, they would go upside down, righted when placed in shallow water. I heard afterwards that the Council had altered Chlorine levels..locally I don't think our water has any..so the water here isn't ideal so I shall never keep fish again.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  13:46:42  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

Its never easy losing a fish. Before we moved to Scotland I had five 4' tanks set up..one was fancy Lionheads..one genenal tropical community and the rest rare catfish. I didn't want to transport them all that distance so sold them to the place where I got most.

Two years ago I set up a small cold water tank for my daughter, a loach and a few fantails. All was fine for a year then they all started dying, they would go upside down, righted when placed in shallow water. I heard afterwards that the Council had altered Chlorine levels..locally I don't think our water has any..so the water here isn't ideal so I shall never keep fish again.

oh no :(

sounds a bit like our situation, we tested the water from the tap on a hunch in October and it was reading around 80ppm on two different tests (one my original, one was bought new just be sure) and this carried on til last week, now it's back to 25ppm, a much safer level. Thames Water didn't give a monkeys, and said that their testing is more accurate than mine. Nothing to do with the fact that it's not supposed be more than 50ppm and they didn't want people finding out. A perfectly healthy and well looked after fish suddenly showing signs of nitrate poisoning is a good enough test for me. They even went as far to tell me that i should make sure i'm adding tap water conditioner... if i now about testing for nitrates and all that then i'm pretty sure i'm well aware of using water conditioners!

If the waters bad, there's not a lot you can do without spending a lot of money on RO systems etc... not something i can afford.

Having the water shallow did help Pedro a bit, but at the cost of it not really being enough water for them both, and i had no room for another tank big enough even for just him.

You have to 'keep water' rather than fish really... when the waters right the fish are fine, but all it takes is one small water problem to cause havoc!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  13:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Mystra, sounds exactly the same problem, and for that reason alone i'm done with fish. I had wanted a Mystus Wikkii..but its an extremely expensive catfish..soo no way.

What will you do now?
Keep the fish you have left?

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  13:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mystra, been thinking about you.

Yes, people who've never owned them don't realise that fish (and reptiles) have as much personality and charisma and value in the world as mammals ...just one thing though. I started out keeping goldfish - and I had some disasters, until I realised they were better off outside (luckily I have a 200l tank out there) - although that's something you can't do with fancy goldfish and tropicals of course - with chemical levels in modern water supplies they sound very very tricky to keep indeed. But my loach have been fine - and 2 loach together are awesome! I wish I could video their regular 'ballet routine' for you - might have a try. They interact constantly, chase, play, and curl round each other like snakes. So don't worry about a loach setup being boring. Also you can add other fish like guppies or mountain minnows (hardier than guppies) or Chinese bitterling (also easy to keep) for a bit of extra action in the tank. I'm afraid I'm a very lazy fish keeper (I like to keep the tank looking good, and clean, but I'm not technical about it) but (fingers crossed) Hawkeye and Hotlips are still going strong and must be 3 this year; they're getting quite large. I can recommend getting the Lieutenant a friend.

All the very very best. xxx

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  14:29:46  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanieW

Yeah Mystra, sounds exactly the same problem, and for that reason alone i'm done with fish. I had wanted a Mystus Wikkii..but its an extremely expensive catfish..soo no way.

What will you do now?
Keep the fish you have left?

wow the Mystus Wikkii look awesome! but yeah, imagine getting one and it dying due to the stupid water :(

I will keep going with Pedro until i know it's time to do the kind thing and put him to sleep. Then i will rehome the loach and snails, and sell the tank and equipment.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  14:38:56  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Mystra, been thinking about you.

Yes, people who've never owned them don't realise that fish (and reptiles) have as much personality and charisma and value in the world as mammals ...just one thing though. I started out keeping goldfish - and I had some disasters, until I realised they were better off outside (luckily I have a 200l tank out there) - although that's something you can't do with fancy goldfish and tropicals of course - with chemical levels in modern water supplies they sound very very tricky to keep indeed. But my loach have been fine - and 2 loach together are awesome! I wish I could video their regular 'ballet routine' for you - might have a try. They interact constantly, chase, play, and curl round each other like snakes. So don't worry about a loach setup being boring. Also you can add other fish like guppies or mountain minnows (hardier than guppies) or Chinese bitterling (also easy to keep) for a bit of extra action in the tank. I'm afraid I'm a very lazy fish keeper (I like to keep the tank looking good, and clean, but I'm not technical about it) but (fingers crossed) Hawkeye and Hotlips are still going strong and must be 3 this year; they're getting quite large. I can recommend getting the Lieutenant a friend.

All the very very best. xxx

aww as wonderful as it sounds BATS, i think if i lost my buddy Pedro my heart wouldn't be in it anymore. I got Pedro in 2009 shortly after my beloeved family dog was PTS. We weren't ready for another dog, and didn't want to become attached to another dog when i knew there was a chance i would be moving out of the area soon. I decided to get Pedro and 2 comet fish in a horrifically small 35L tank. They sort of filled in a gap where i need to look after and care for something like my dog, and something that was fine to take with me when moving.

The two comets died, and so did the two that replaced them eventually, but Pedro kept on. The i got talking to a lovely lady called Kelly on the fish section of RFUK, she'd written a goldfish caresheet, so i learned what my fishies truly needed from me, and upgraded everything to this set up in 2010. Pedro went from a funny little goldfish to a big bugger goldfish who thought he was a naughty dog! He got bigger and his personality really came through too. Spent ages trying to find him a suitable friend (although he had the loach) but as he had a tendancy to be so bolschy i though finding an adult near his size was best and eventually got Precious in Sept/October last year. She was quarantined and everything and finally moved in. Then a few week after Pedro started to turn upside down and have lots of trouble keeping upright... and that's where the problems began :(

So you see... without Pedro, it just wouldn't feel right.

If worst comes to the worst... if you have room for a third loach you'd be very welcome to the Lieutenant :) no idea how they courier fish but i know it's been done! x

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  17:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, thanks Mystra, if I lived in your area I'd seriously consider the Lieutenant; I'm honoured you'd trust me with him, but under the circumstances, as I've been a bit extravagant buying Sulah, and I have to keep money in reserve for her adult setup and possibly a larger setup for Shadrach too, to say nothing of Molly's unexpected arrival and her spaying looming on the horizon, I daren't really afford a courier.

I have been looking into it, mind - I did a search on the fishkeeping forum and could only find one same-day firm, which was said to be expensive - I know the same day snake couriers can charge over £60 or so.

It's a pity, but also it might be less stressful for him to go to a new home locally. But thank you again - and fingers STILL crossed for Pedro.

All the very best. xxx

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  19:28:27  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aww, thanks Mystra, if I lived in your area I'd seriously consider the Lieutenant; I'm honoured you'd trust me with him, but under the circumstances, as I've been a bit extravagant buying Sulah, and I have to keep money in reserve for her adult setup and possibly a larger setup for Shadrach too, to say nothing of Molly's unexpected arrival and her spaying looming on the horizon, I daren't really afford a courier.

I have been looking into it, mind - I did a search on the fishkeeping forum and could only find one same-day firm, which was said to be expensive - I know the same day snake couriers can charge over £60 or so.

It's a pity, but also it might be less stressful for him to go to a new home locally. But thank you again - and fingers STILL crossed for Pedro.

All the very best. xxx

Thanks BATS, in all honestly if i really couldn't find him a home around London i'd pay for the courier, knowing he's got the best possible home, and some friends to play with too! I've always admired your preparation and dedication to your pets, like how you've got money saved up etc for adult set ups etc... if only everyone was like you!

Just got in from work and Pedro is still the same, little fits and bursts of somersaults then resting upside down at the bottom.

A friend on a fish forum thinks Precious may have had an internal bacterial infection, either something that got in through her fins, or had been the cause of it all along. Basically we put her in a sandwich box lined with kitchen roll last night and this morning it was soaked with blood. Not nice. But my friend says that's normally a sign of internal infection. Poor lady was suffering inside and out then, so best she is now at peace.
x

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  19:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but no way could I let you do that!But it's very sweet of you, and thanks for the kind words, though I'm not that organised; I'm quite messy and slapdash but the animals do take priority, I'd feel wrong if they didn't ...

However, I've had a brainwave. It only occurred to me this afternoon - but my ex has to go down to London every fortnight, usually on a Saturday, to visit his uncle, who's in a nursing home near the Tate Gallery, is it the left bank, that area. I've yet to ask him, but if it came to the crunch and you did have to rehome the Lieutenant, could it be possible to meet up with Adrian (the ex) and then he could bring the Lieutenant up to Wakefield? I would of course pay you for The Lieutenant and also refund travelling expenses.

I do hope you don't have to rehome him, but it could be a contingency plan. I would love to have him; weather loach are so cool.

That sounds awful about Precious. Poor girl.

Hoping and praying for Pedro to improve. All the very best xxx

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  20:19:20  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, but no way could I let you do that!But it's very sweet of you, and thanks for the kind words, though I'm not that organised; I'm quite messy and slapdash but the animals do take priority, I'd feel wrong if they didn't ...

However, I've had a brainwave. It only occurred to me this afternoon - but my ex has to go down to London every fortnight, usually on a Saturday, to visit his uncle, who's in a nursing home near the Tate Gallery, is it the left bank, that area. I've yet to ask him, but if it came to the crunch and you did have to rehome the Lieutenant, could it be possible to meet up with Adrian (the ex) and then he could bring the Lieutenant up to Wakefield? I would of course pay you for The Lieutenant and also refund travelling expenses.

I do hope you don't have to rehome him, but it could be a contingency plan. I would love to have him; weather loach are so cool.

That sounds awful about Precious. Poor girl.

Hoping and praying for Pedro to improve. All the very best xxx

good thinking BATS :D

Hopefully it wont come to that, but good to know there's a plan there :) i honestly wouldn't want money for him, a good home is priceless! he is one cool loach and i'm sure the others would love him too!

i'm mid-huge-water change.... down to an inch or so as i've had an ammonia spike, and nitrates through the roof :( then i'm syringe feeding the poor boy :(

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  21:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I hope you can keep him, but happy to be on standby - hope the water change went ok - you won't need to go to the gym with all that hauling buckets about!

All the very best.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2012 :  22:04:16  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I hope you can keep him, but happy to be on standby - hope the water change went ok - you won't need to go to the gym with all that hauling buckets about!

All the very best.

i know, it really does wear you out, especially lugging them up the stairs!

Finally done for tonight. Had to pop him into a sandwich box and syringe feed hm a mix of epsom salts and mushed up peas, which he really didn't enjoy funnily enough... got soaked by the little devil!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000