Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  00:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Urrgghh, I don't blame him!

Is it something to do with his swim bladder? With his needing the epsom salts?

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  08:15:43  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

well i've treated before for swim bladder issues, but not with this recipe, usually just peas. But he really doesn't have much of an appetite or any desire to chase around peas in the tank like he used to, so someone on koko's goldfish forum suggested this method. Not convinced very much got into his system as he kept spitting it out.

He looks terrible today, back to just being upside down at the bottom with his all his fins clamped in and just looking really unhappy and slow. Hopefully he might perk up later in the day as he's not much of a morning fish!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  12:43:19  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry i realise how off topic this has gone!!!

Just had some samples of texture vinyl tiles come in today off ebay, really cool! couple of browny slatey ones and a funky one that looks like small boulders stacked up!

Now to pick which one looks nice when i get in... like when you have bits of wallpaper and paint and stick it all up in the room you're going to decorate haha... i wonder what Sanchez will think... (probably "where's dinner?" as he's less than pleased about being fed every 10 days rather than 7 LOL)

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  17:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mystra

quote:

well i've treated before for swim bladder issues, but not with this recipe, usually just peas. But he really doesn't have much of an appetite or any desire to chase around peas in the tank like he used to, so someone on koko's goldfish forum suggested this method. Not convinced very much got into his system as he kept spitting it out.

He looks terrible today, back to just being upside down at the bottom with his all his fins clamped in and just looking really unhappy and slow. Hopefully he might perk up later in the day as he's not much of a morning fish!

Aww bless him, know how he feels about mornings lol - DO hope the treatment has good results, fingers crossed for the poor lad.

And good luck with the backgrounds - they sound cool - lol, yeah it's awful when you have to switch a snake on to less frequent meals - even though they're getting a bigger meal, they still act as if you're starving them, greedy little gits!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2012 :  18:04:06  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by mystra

quote:

Aww bless him, know how he feels about mornings lol - DO hope the treatment has good results, fingers crossed for the poor lad.

And good luck with the backgrounds - they sound cool - lol, yeah it's awful when you have to switch a snake on to less frequent meals - even though they're getting a bigger meal, they still act as if you're starving them, greedy little gits!

i know, he's not the most active and sociable of the three but he's always looking at me now as if to say "Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum... where's my dinner?!"

about to head home to a night of water testing and changes again.. The Lieutenant must be made of strong stuff, he's looking lovely at the moment not a problem in sight *touch wood* He's been eating a lot of the goldfish food due to their lack of appetite, so he's going a bit golden himself due to to the colour enhancing stuff in their food!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  17:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, bet he looks cool - Hawkeye's very golden - and I feed goldfish food too, and plec wafers. Hotlips is a pinky beige with longitudinal stripes, and I thought I'd got it worked out that Hawkeye is a misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Hotlips a fossilis - but turns out she's nothing like a fossilis - don't know what she is, but interesting nevertheless.

Love the way they prop themselves up on a stone on their front fins and stare at you ...and then thoughtfully yaaawn ...or is that a belch lol?

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  18:05:00  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aww, bet he looks cool - Hawkeye's very golden - and I feed goldfish food too, and plec wafers. Hotlips is a pinky beige with longitudinal stripes, and I thought I'd got it worked out that Hawkeye is a misgurnus anguillicaudatus and Hotlips a fossilis - but turns out she's nothing like a fossilis - don't know what she is, but interesting nevertheless.

Love the way they prop themselves up on a stone on their front fins and stare at you ...and then thoughtfully yaaawn ...or is that a belch lol?

awwwww, amazing all the different patterns etc you can get! The Leiutenant always does the propping up thing, looks lie a seal! Needs a beach ball to balance on his nose!

If it gets really hot in the summer he climbs on top of the filter and sits out of the water! I remember asking about it on RFUK and was told they can survive out of water for a time, and someones had once leapt out the tank and survived overnight, before being found half way across the livingroom!

Just watching Pedro now, i'm seeing how he gets on this weekend. Not going to do anymore huge water changes, as its too stressful on him, if these are his final days then i want things to be nice as possibly.. i will keep things clean of course but, i think we're past the point of no return. I've been watching him for 10 min and he hasn't even moved an inch, looks like its septicemia, on top of his existing nitrate poisoning. When he breathes he twitches so it must be hard work or painful in some way.

I've got clove oil in, so at least i can make the decision and get on with it, rather than prolonging the agony trooping round herbal shops and chemists trying to find it.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  19:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh poor guy ...clove oil?

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:28:35  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh poor guy ...clove oil?

yes, it's a herbal anesthetic, can be used to numb toothache. Basically you create a mix of it with water, then add to the fish in whatever its swimming in (like a bucket or something). Sends them to sleep on a small dose, or overdose them to sleep forever. Most humane way bar a bash on the head.. which i can't bring myself to do. Freezing is horrible, same as freezing any animal still living because of ice crystals forming etc.

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I wondered. Yes, I've used it for toothache. I hadn't heard of it as a fish anaesthetic/euthanasia though. No, I couldn't freeze something. On a couple of occasions when I've had an obviously dying fish I've gripped it in a piece of kitchen roll and quickly cut its head off with a pair of scissors - done fast this really is instantaneous - but you need a very strong stomach and even then it's horrible. The clove oil sounds a lot gentler.

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  21:18:51  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well Pedro swam off into the sunset as it were tonight. Decided after a lot of thinking the best thing for him was to pass peacefully.. he no dubt would have dragged on forever as he always has done but he looked in such pain and discomfort.

RIP Pedro, you naughty fat fishy x

PS BATS - i've sent you an email :)

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  21:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mystra - so very sorry to hear. He was such a character and a most beautiful fish.

Have emailed you about the Lieutenant.

All the very best, love and hugs, Lil xxx

Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  22:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about pedro. He looks a right chunky monkey

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  13:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick postscript - the Lieutenant arrived at Bats' Belfry on Sunday night and is settling in well - he's a beautiful lad, and thanks again Mystra!

Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  13:40:01  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbarlow91

Sorry to hear about pedro. He looks a right chunky monkey

thank you - monkey wasn't the word for that little bugger, he was so naughty!!!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2012 :  13:41:17  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a quick postscript - the Lieutenant arrived at Bats' Belfry on Sunday night and is settling in well - he's a beautiful lad, and thanks again Mystra!

thank you for having him BATS, at least there is one happy ending to this tale! x

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000