Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey everyone
I've had caesar for just over a month now and his last feed was a rat pup which he took very well to. since he has had the rat pup ( last weekend) he hasn't been in his cool side once....
is this normal? my temps are spot on and he's been fine handling and not tried to strike once. however, when i took him out for handling a minute ago he was hissing, i ignored this and picked him up anyway and now he's sat on my knee and is fine. any ideas why he is hissing? also why is he staying in the hot side? he's not had a shed with me yet incase this matters but his eyes are not cloudy or anything
am i just being a worrier? lol

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, mine sometimes go over into the warm end to digest - if your temps are ok it sounds fine, and at this time of year the ambient on the cool side might be, well, cooler, so the snake will do what's right for it.

New young royals do sometimes hiss - yes, just ignore it, and sounds like he's calmed down now; he's still getting used to you.

We all worry over a new snake - it's normal lol. Shows we care. All the best with him.

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monty is always in my hot end doesn't seem to in his cool end that been like that for a while now maybe when where a sleep comes out but anyway moving into nice 3. Foot viv and will hopefully move around more wit more stuff in his viv there not much is is rub but any way won't matter no more
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers BATS, he's deffo settling down as when i got him he wouldn't stop striking at me and now he just accepts that its handling time. I've just let him crawl around my face and i could feel his tonge flicking my face lol. i can't wait to get him a proper wooden viv and make it look amazing for him. when should i expect a shed? or is this something that just happens at random? i think i should buy another digital temp gauge for the cool side as I've only got a analogue one at the moment. i already can't wait to save up and buy a female albino :-P
Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh i was thinking that. I've creeped in when the lights are all off and he seems to venture out of his hide and explores the rub. I'm so happy how much he is becoming used to me. he's wrapped around my neck and sniffing me whilst i type this (tickles haha) i measured his last weekend and he's 22 inches long and 5 months old. gonna buy some weighing scales and weigh him every month to monitor. my gf calls me a geek but its gotta be done lol
Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  22:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My gf is the same. people who aint into reptiles never know what all the fuss is about lol

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  23:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol - long live us geeks

impossible to predict when he'll shed, it's different for all of them - sounds like he's doing great.

aaah love it when they come and flick over my face with their tongue - all feathery.

forgive lower case - molly the cat is sleeping on one hand lol

Go to Top of Page

hayes
Yearling

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  23:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ill just monitor his eyes for shedding. i just put him back in his rub and he seemed like he wanted to stay out lol. my gf's rag doll kitten is running around like a nutter so its best he's back in his home now. the kitten sits and watches caesar fascinated by him lol.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2012 :  23:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww bless, love ragdolls - yes Molly is very young and new - I didn't actually plan her but she came from a poor home locally who wanted rid of her, and at present I have to watch her around the snakes. My older cats commune with the snakes (through viv doors) whenever possible and have a good relationship - hard to tell who's fascinated by who!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000