help with royal python.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emijolteon
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  00:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay, although i have care for them while working in a pet shop before, for some reason i never learnt a few odd things about royals. so if you guys would like to shed some light so i know for tomorrow when i get my python.
anyway, the one im getting is 6 months old male. so keep that in mind while answering these questions.
how many times usually do they shed?

if he is 6 months, im told he feeds every 6/7 days on rat pups,i need to do it less frequent as he gets older right? how will i know when to space them out?

how old are pythons when they are fully grown usually?

when they refuse feed, i've been told a gerbil will tempt then, any shops in manchester sell dead gerbils? seeing as i have pet gerbils i'd feel uncomfortable killing one myself, even for my python. and i wouldn't want my python being injured by said gerbil.

i have a nocturnal moon(and also a red spot) light and sometimes can get to 100F sometimes 110F in the hottest area. would that be too hot for my snake, or do you think he would be fine? seeing as there is a 80F spot and a 70F spot for him to thermoregulate.

also if you have any tips, on feeding, handling, shedding and really any thing else i'll find handy.
thank you! <3

HERP A DERP!

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  00:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, can help you with a couple of points, young ones usually shed every 2-3 months (mine do anyway). As for how often you should feed him I think depends on his weight, anything under 400g is usually fed every five days. Bats shall no doubt help you out with that one tomorrow :). And I'm pretty sure they're almost fully grown by 18-24 months. That's about all I can offer I'm afraid, but there are lots of people here with alot more know how than me lol so I'm sure someone else shall be along soon :)

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

Emijolteon
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  01:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajokocha

Hey, can help you with a couple of points, young ones usually shed every 2-3 months (mine do anyway). As for how often you should feed him I think depends on his weight, anything under 400g is usually fed every five days. Bats shall no doubt help you out with that one tomorrow :). And I'm pretty sure they're almost fully grown by 18-24 months. That's about all I can offer I'm afraid, but there are lots of people here with alot more know how than me lol so I'm sure someone else shall be along soon :)

cheers :) that'll help, i've read many care sheets but never really said anything about when they shed or when they are fully grown. haha

HERP A DERP!
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  01:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK shedding. They shed when they need to, its quite frequent when they are young as they are growing quickly.

At 6 months I would have thought it would be eating something larger than a rat pup, at least a weaner rat. As a general guide you feed them 10-15% of their body weight every 7 days while they are growing.

110oF is FAR too hot and temperatures up that high could cause brain damage. I'm guessing with that temperature you dont have a thermostat regulating the heat source, if you dont your setup is not ready for a snake and I would recommend delaying picking it up until your setup is safe.

90oF is the temperature you want in the hot spot (bit just below the bulb), the ambient temperature (cool end) wants to be about 75-85oF. Moon bulbs in my opinion are pointless for anything other than viewing and you may have issues with the red spot giving off too much white light and it stressing out the Python. Infra red or ceramic bulbs are always a better bet for nocturnal animals.

You need pleanty of cover and hides in the vivarium, they are shy animals and dont appreciate open spaces at all.

Most Royals will eat frozen thawed rats (and mice but rats are a better bet for Royals) and refusing a feed is absolutely nothing to worry about, they fast in the lead up to breeding season and will quite often refuse food while they are settling in after a move but its normal and doesn't affect them in any way, its what they are built to do (My Royal fasted from August to January and lost 2 grams).

As for things you'll find handy, then there are loads of stickied topic in the forum and the caresheet is a great place to start.
They take a few years to hit an adult size usually about 3 years to breeding weight and possibly a few more before they max out.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  12:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emi - when I got my first royal, this is the feeding guide (courtesy of Blackecho) that I followed, and have found it to work well -

Royal weighing 0-400g - feed every 5 days
400-800g - feed every 7 days
800-1200g - feed every 10 days
1200g+ - feed every fortnight

Feed 10/15% of the royal's weight, or a rat with girth no bigger than that of the royal's (rodents tend to look slimmer when defrosted.)

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000